Method of Determining Whether Poster is Male or Female

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If, like me, you sometimes wonder whether a poster is male or female, the Gender Genie website will help provide the answer
http://www.bookblog.net/gender/genie.html

Inspired by an article in The New York Times Magazine, the Gender Genie uses a simplified version of an algorithm developed by Moshe Koppel, Bar-Ilan University in Israel, and Shlomo Argamon, Illinois Institute of Technology, to predict the gender of an author.

Copy a post and paste it in the box, indicate that it is nonfiction, then click submit. By analyzing the words, the Gender Genie tells you whether it thinks the writer is male or female.

I tried it with a number of posts by writers of known sex and it was right all but once. 80% accuracy is claimed by the author.

When you get the report, you will find at the bottom of the page the opportunity to indicate whether the Genie was right or wrong. This info will help make it even more accurate in the future.

Its interesting and fun, especially when dealing with the posts of first timers who try to pull our chain.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thank You Ken!

Just for fun I went back and threw the last 10 or so posts of DiabloRojo at the program. Guess what? 9 out of ten times it identified that sock puppet as a female - DiablaRoja - just like I said.

Harumph. Vindication, at last. One of these days you guys are going to listen to me. LOL!

Last Ten DiabloRojo Posts:
  • F-0527 M-0348
  • F-0527 M-0348
  • F-0079 M-0069
  • F-0424 M-0383
  • F-0191 M-0148
  • F-0099 M-0264
  • F-0482 M-0184
  • F-0211 M-0162
  • F-0158 M-0053
  • F-1200 M-1171
Total Score: F-3400 M-2794

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
wrong 4 out of 5 times for me. i entered five of my posts from this board. the longer the post, the greater the odds of incorrectly predicting my sex.

mob

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
For the little communist devil at least she was windy so there was plenty of material to reference.

In your case, MOB, maybe you're just gender conflicted? Do you like listening to music by Madonna, & Prince? Never miss a Ru Paul special on TV? Have that Chris Tucker segment where's he's playing Ruby Rod on 5th element always cued up and ready to show guests?

If so, then maybe the program is more accurate than you think!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
hahaha that's funny mob. I won't tell!

To Add:

This thing has to be wrong. I put in one of AZB's post on HIV and he came up more female than male. How can that be????

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
If she (use of word "gender", among other things, gives her away) really wants to do something useful, maybe she can write a program to determine what women really think.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
A perfect male score ...

I ran my previous post thru the program out of curiosity and it had a perfect male score.

Dec 9, 2002
Oh My God

After 46 years of believing otherwise, it looks like I am actually a man :confused: :confused:
I tried 10 of my previous posts and 7 of them said they were written by a male. Oh dear, what's a girl to do?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
That doesn't count.

See, you're a British woman, Dominican Babe. I understand that even Robert has difficulty telling the British women from the British men upon close visual inspection sometimes. That's just normal.

:: running :: OK. Don't hit me! It was just a joke!

On the serious side I wonder if the program is biased toward one particular form of English or not. I'd bet that it is, and was written for American English. I first tried it out on a few of Chris's posts. She's from South Africa and it did the same thing, male. Probably will show the higher inaccuracy rate, too, on anyone who has picked up English as a second or third language, too. AZB, if he learned English in Pakistan, learned it in an area of the world where it is a very British form that is taught and spoken. But the program seems to be very accurate on the native American English speakers, though.

So, don't be upset. You're still a Babe - you're name tag says so!

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
andy a said:
If she (use of word "gender", among other things, gives her away) really wants to do something useful, maybe she can write a program to determine what women really think.
I would purchase that program even though I am a pirate. I Just hope trying to understand wont be way too exhaustive for my weak heart. Ya know, I think I would just resell the darn thing now that I think about it. Who wants to really know when you have the rest of your life to attempt to figure out the question of the ages...

I digress

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
My algorithm is better.

Use of the word "gender" itself, just like "have sex" is likely either by women or for women (such as the latter term used by men in mixed company instead of the more common term).

I looked up the definitions of "gender" and "sex" in my dictionary - Funk & Wagnalls, 1976. It existed before 1984/newspeak/political correctness/made-to-dumb-us-downness. Here is how they were defined. For brevity, I included only the primary definitions, but no references were made in the secondary ones to negate these:

gen-der (jen'der) n. 1. Gram. a One of two or more categories of words (esp. nouns and pronouns) or affixes based upon differences of sex or absence of sex or sometimes upon other distinctions (as of animateness or inanimateness), each category having distinctive forms for the words or affixes themselves or for the words modifying them.

sex (seks) n. 1. Either of two divisions, male and female, by which organisms are distinguished with reference to the reproductive functions.

There we have it. "Gender" is a category of "words" for use in grammar. It is not a reference to the organisms themselves.

The fact that various sexually challenged women, especially in the Clinton administration, tried to redefine "gender" doesn't make it so.

Isn't it ironic (for those with any sense of reality left) that even as the feminazis try to hijack "gender" to mean "sex", they are also trying to eliminate the word "sex" as a standalone word, but which can be used only with "have" to indicate sexual intercourse. I wonder how long it will be before men start dropping the "have" and simply use sex as a verb, such as in, "I sexed a beautiful girl yesterday."

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Too late I think.

George Michael already did that. "I want Your Sex" Remember?

But then again considering his men's room exploits (by the way, who wants to do it in a public restroom anyway?) it's obvious that George has a few issues* as my gay friends would say.

Tom (aka XR)

*Issues are quite distinct from problems. Algore has problems. Michael and LaToya Jackson have issues. LOL.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Re: Too late I think.

XanaduRanch said:
*Issues are quite distinct from problems. Algore has problems. Michael and LaToya Jackson have issues. LOL. [/B]

Which does Goatfarmer have?

Larry

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
On the other hand ...

maybe I should leave well enough alone. I ran that post for the hell of it and it was overwhelmingly male.

Does any beautiful sweet submissive thing out there of the opposite "gender" who's looking for a real man want to get together to "have sex"?

Last edited: