Currano?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I think I know what this word means, but I'd appreciate a definition. It's not in the dictionary. - D

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Well, currante is hard-working, currar is to work, and curro is work. Currano I've never heard of.

Are you sure that's the correct spelling? Use this word in a sentence, please, and then maybe we can decipher its meaning.

-Indie

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I belive that's the correct spelling. I heard it used referring to an American tourist in a hotel in Sosua. As far as I could understand (it was explained to me in Spanish) it's a foreigner (let's say an American) who is no big deal at home, but when he comes to the DR, he thinks and acts like a rich bigshot beacuse of the disparity between Americans and Dominicans. Meanwhile, he's a cheap bastard towards the Dominicans - lousy tipper, always looking to get something cheaper, etc. If I understand it correctly, it's a great experssion. - D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Danny, Americans even if they are LOUSY tippers are better than the other people that visit the island according to everyone I have ever spoken to that counts. FWIW

So while he may be someone of no mention in the States in the DR he is something special usually because of the CHEAP SOB's from around the world that make us look much better:)

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
True, Escott. But the reason I like the expression is that it seems to have the subtelty of a Yiddish phrase. Even though we think we're generous, the locals have us figured out. Yeah, we're real bigshots!!

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
A low profile foreigner that gravitated to the country some time ago, very often after a dispute with the local police. Normally not used to describe tourists, commonly used to describe illegal immigrants from Continental Europe.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I thought it had more of a Jackie Mason aspect to it. Kind of a bargain basement hotshot. Perhaps I was just imagining it. - D