baninter/bancredito - it's all the same.......or worse?

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Robert said:
It's good news for Bancredito customers to know a solid well run business is potentially now behind them. DR1 is a Bancredito client :)

....a few people knew, some suspect.......maybe on monday we shall know more.

are people going to pull out of any deal?

turns out that one hole is going to be a just as deep as the other.
we are in for another thrilling ride....wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What's your point? Yes, we are still a Bancredito client. Yes, a well run solid business is "potentially" behind them.

Until it's official, it' sill rumors for the masses. Will LH pull out of the deal, let's see.

Anyone with half a brain and the ability to read this message board should be able to make up their own mind on the current state of Dominican banking.
We are not a financial institution, but via our posters, I feel we provide some of the best advice available.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
....yes, i had been drinking when i made this post (always a dangerous thing to do when posting).........and i'm sorry newuser, but my user id is 'bochinche' - and that is all you'll get from me. if you want information ask golo.

the quote i took from a previous post was not meant as a slur against robert or dr1. he was exactly right - i took it for its irony.
remember though, i had been drinking and that irony doesn't seem to be there now.

what i don't understand is why they keep these things under wrap for so long - it's probable that i need the other half brain to comprehend that.

.........but at last (much longer than i expected), things are coming to light.

"Gobierno dominicano denuncia segundo fraude bancario del a?o"

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I have little sympathy at this point...

...for anyone greedy or oblivious enough to trust the Dominican financial system with their assets. It's one thing to be contractually bound to long term investments or not have access to offshore options, but I really have to question the wisdom of willfully entrusting funds to this system.

Apr 26, 2002
Re: I have little sympathy at this point...

arturo said:
...I really have to question the wisdom of willfully entrusting funds to this system.

Shame the governments of all the expats out there are not heeding this advice. The IMF, which is funded largely by the US Treasury but also by the treasuries of the other developed nations, is doing just that right now.

As for the latest on Bancredito, all I can say is that I don't know who I trust less - the former owners of Bancredito or the motivations of Hippo's right hand man Luis Malkum who reports that they were crooks. Correction. I do know who I trust less. Pellerano built Tricom and El Diario Libre. Hippo and Malkum have never built anything ever.

Edited to add: Pellerano has now been ordered prosecuted by Hippo. He also owns the Diario Libre. Does this mean that the PPH will be taking it over also? What about Tricom? Scary, scary

Last edited:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Re: Re: I have little sympathy at this point...

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Shame the governments of all the expats out there are not heeding this advice. The IMF, which is funded largely by the US Treasury but also by the treasuries of the other developed nations, is doing just that right now.

That's quite true Rubi. The reasoning is not complicated. The IMF investment, if it ever happens, would be a relatively modest investment aimed at maintaining the status quo, i.e. a self-renewing source of extremely low cost labor for developed countries and a hedge against the labor cost going so low that it would cause a prolonged general strike or a military takeover even more corrupt than traditional Dominican "lambonidad."

Get your dollars ready Crisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
....this certainly is a strange one.

it doesn't seem to have the outcry that went with baninter.
could that be because people are just tired of everything and couldn't care anymore?
or
could it be that it is deliberately being swept quietly under the carpet?

i am not going to second guess, because i am tired of everything and i couldn't care anymore.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Looks like Banninter all over again to me.
Pellerano and Mendoza are being indicted and face arrest for a RD$20million fraud and second set of books. Where does that leave the question of transparancy in the banking system. One hounddog follows another. It's now up to the government to weasle out of this one and save the IMF infusion; or whatever.
Frankly, if Hippo were smart (which he ain't), he should insist that all perportrators(sp) be hung out to dry in the worst of Dominican prisons as a lesson to others with like ideas. I don't really see that happening, however.

Texas Bill

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "info" given here is FREE,and worth every penny!!!

There is "Gold" here,but you have to "Pan" for it!! I love the idea that you will get several different "points-Of-View" on all topics.You get to "know" the posters after a while(Called;"Paying Your Dues!") and can then judge the value of their "Information",or "Mis-Information"!

You can even get a chuckle out of people posting about "life" and the "Economic Problems" of "living" in the DR, when they have never set foot on the island!!

For me DR1 is a source of "Friendship",information,and maybe most important,"Entertainment"!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccciiiiiisssssC

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
Texas,

It isn't so much a case of a dog following another. In general, every wealthy family in DR does business in this way. Bank owners run the banks as if they were their own penny jars. The current crisis is hitting every dominican hard. So, when businesses start to fold, the weak go first.

Despite all the publicity and regulations protecting banks against libel, most of us saw this coming. Baninter, Banco Mercantil and Bancr?dito have always been rumored as unstable. Just last year Bancr?dito/Nacional de Seguros went through a crisis, when owners Donald Reid and the Pelleranos distanced themselves; allegedly because Donald kept syphoning funds to fuel his political apparatus inside the PRSC. That's when Nacional de Seguros became Segna, and the logos changed. Many thought Bancr?dito was done then. In any case, they would have folded for sure if the E. Le?n Jim?nez group hadn't been interested in grabbing a corner of the banking pie. But apparently the Pelleranos tended their pockets first with the sale money, and left the bank hanging. Before that, during Leonel's term, the Pelleranos ran List?n Diario into bankruptcy. They had to sell to Baninter who, being a big bank, could easily absorb the debt inside its obscure bowels until the time was ripe for the catastrophic.....er, sorry, got a big poetic there, but you get the idea.

Anyway, like I say in my original paragraph, every big person here does the same. We don't have big corporate companies. We have what esentially are family-owned businesses where 9 times out of 10 the owners put the companies' earnings straight into their pockets. What was the name of the guy who owned Supermercado Asturias? He fled back to his country without clearing the company's debts. The same with banks: The ones that are still standing are doing the same. If they make it through these bard times we'll never know how they run their books.

It's like that example they use in industry to explain Just-in-time: You never know how many rocks are in the river until the dry season comes. If our river keeps drying, you'll see more and more rocks appear.

Last edited: