night swimming- Boca Chica

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
My plane lands at 7:14 pm; I want to spend the night in Boca Chica rather than SD because I'm dying to get in the ocean, and I like the sound of the 'big swimming pool'.

Did I read somewhere that night swimming is common?

Or should I look for a hotel with a pool (I assume after sunset swimming is cool) and wait til morning?

thoughts... ?

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
There are several hotel in Boca Chica right on the beach, however you should be warned that it is not safe to be alone on the beaches at night. I would stick to the hotel pool.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
dawnwil

Night swimming is not common. I am not trying to scare you off or anything like that because Boca Chica has a great beach but after 8pm, the beach is very dark and very few tourists hang around at that time, you would possibly the only tourist out there around 9pm or so. When it is dark you can't see a situation developing so that is a prone time to be robbed and BC is not a typical example of normal dominican people, many scam artists and criminals flock to these areas to rip tourists off. I would not do it, but if you insist, make sure it is in a large group. I have been to BC ssveral times and even I wouldn't go to the beach by myself because why open myself up to opportunities that could be unpleasant. Go during the day is my recommendation, just looking out for you:)
dale7(Howard)

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
ok, will do

thanks for thoughts.

Arriving after dark blows my game plan-- I was going to stay at the Zapata and skip out to the beach twice. The hotels I had noted from this board don't have pools, so I may wait until morning for the ocean. :)

Howard, I believe you like Los Pinos? Given this after-dark arrival, and the fact I've not visited before, I like the idea of the hotel pick up. Am about to send an email to make sure they do so for an overnighter only.

thanks again,
D

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
If you stay at the Zapata, i'm sure Josie would be accomodating and provide someone to look out for you while on an evening swim. The water is less than 50 mts away. I've been there many times with no problems.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It isn't allowed on the beach anyway, hotel there or not.

dawnwil said:
My plane lands at 7:14 pm; I want to spend the night in Boca Chica rather than SD because I'm dying to get in the ocean, and I like the sound of the 'big swimming pool'.

Did I read somewhere that night swimming is common?

Or should I look for a hotel with a pool (I assume after sunset swimming is cool) and wait til morning?

thoughts... ?

The police ( Politur) in Boca Chica don't allow people in the water after 6 p.m. usually and for certain after dark. Too many corpses of drunk as hell Dominicans were washing up the next day.

Some hotel pools ( I assume the Hamaca would not do this) close the pools at night. Costalunga does, though I have a poolside suite and can use it if I want.

They (hotels) tend to add chemicals at night so it might be risky to sneak in.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Other than most of them you are right

dawnwil said:
The hotels I had noted from this board don't have pools, so I may wait until morning for the ocean. :)

Costalunga, Calypso, El Candil, Garant all have pools. Only the "beach" hotels don't, since hey, they are on a beach - e.g. Europa, Zapata, Don Emilio.

Stay at the aforementioned and walk to the beach and get a better hotel while you are at it.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
the Hamaca has a couple of pools. one has a swim up bar. they close at 7pm

very over rated place if u ask me. i stayed there last month..will not be going back there

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I always stay at the Zapata. It's right on the beach, intimate, real nice management, cheap and relaxing - very cool. First thing in the morning, you can jump right in the water. I agree, get one of the guests or hotel staff to accompany you if you swim after 8pm. - D