Next destination to dominican carriers.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
I have an offer to all of you, let's make this forum interesting and full of real information, people should find here useful info and we must communicate as civilized people, not monsters.

I would like to promote a new way to discuss some things, for example we will open a discussion about new destinations for dominican carriers, there are many airlines here at the moment that try to discover new horizons, they are LAN Dominicana, Aerocontinente, VIVA Dominicana and Taino Airlines. Let's present out thoughts and ideas, suggest some possibilites and discuss why that one or another destination is not good or excellent.

There are many different people on this forum, everyone is related to a particular atmosphere, some of us are from aviation industry, another come from finance, tourism etc. Let's support our statements by digits or any other valid evidences. Everyone is free to express ideas.

Rules:

1. Do not open personal communications within the tread.
2. Do not attack or insult users.
3. If you don't agree with someone else's point of view, open a descent discussion and provide your evidences.
4. Be creative and positive, friendly and easy to understand.

So, ladies and gentelmen, let's discuss the subject I offered:

"Next destination to dominican carriers."

Which one should it be, why, when, what for, what should they do to fly there, how, ettttttttttcccccccccc!!!!!!! What is the best new market to explore, what's must to be done.

I hope to hear some positive ideas, and please do not concentrate on any specific carrier, let's create our won virtual DR1 Airlines, this way we will never hurt feelings of those who are attached to specific carriers here.

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
You're right on.... about the attack dog stuff that sometimes happens. I have a small suggestion if you'll allow: why not put your aviation news in one daily post rather than splitting them into many different threads? In my opinion getting all the news at once would be better and there might be more participation.

Best, P

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Aviastar, good post. I would suggest add ing rule #5 to your list:
5. Keep it DR-related!

Something you're trying to do in your own post.

I hope what I have to be a related observation. I live in the Washington DC area. I have often wondered when the day will come that we will get a direct flight to the DR -- whether SDQ, POP or Punta Cana -- from either BWI or IAD. Even if only a few times a week, I think it would be a full flight during the high season. And given the growing number of Dominicans living in this region, it might do well in the rest of the year.

Another thought. My last time or two in Brazil, I had many Brazilians ask me about the DR as a vacation destination. Putting aside my astonishment that Brazilians would want to fly to the DR when they have so much in their own country, it made me wonder how much of an untapped market there might be on a Brazil-DR or Brazil-DR-MIA route.....

Best Regards,
Keith

sorry Keith..I meant to reply to your post and actually click on the edit button...

Last edited by a moderator:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
pasha said:
You're right on.... about the attack dog stuff that sometimes happens. I have a small suggestion if you'll allow: why not put your aviation news in one daily post rather than splitting them into many different threads? In my opinion getting all the news at once would be better and there might be more participation.

Best, P

I merged some of the the threads. I am not 100% sure about putting all the aviation news under one thread. I think that putting a few together would be good but not all. The problem with having them all is that you create a never ending thread.

I like how Aviastar is thinking now

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
The shoe shine guy that comes to our office has been tp DR twice already. He calls it paradise. The big buzz in NYC is Punta Cana. It has become the new "hot spot"

I am not sure why there is not a direct flight from DC. I am sure the demand is there. The question is do they have enough demand year round.

Last edited:

eli

Jun 10, 2003
Punta Cana has experieced a 24% increase in the last year alone just from tourism out of the US which in the past had opted to go to SJU-CUN-MBJ and are now turning towards PUJ, another thing that definitely is getting some attention to PUJ is CAP CANA by bringing up scale would be investors for their project.

As for destination in the US probably D.C. since it's unexplored as a direct route and it would help both the ethnic and tourist market.(and with a little luck and a code share agreement with a domestic carrier in the U.S. it can be operated as a mini hub for the DR1 carrier.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
let's not forget that the hotel chain Sandals will open a resort in PUnta Cana in the future. This will bring in even more tourism.

Air Jamaica (same people as Sandals) will play a major role in all this. Delta Vacations currently offers packages thorugh Air Jamaica. This will increase tourism. Air Jamaica will create direct fly to PUJ.

http://www.dr1.com/travelnews/archive/2003/052703_jcollins.shtml

as far as the dominican carriers. I would like them to stabilize themselves in the Dominican market first. We have seen how some of these carriers struggle to stay alive. I say make a 2 to 3 year plan. Maintain steady routes, improve overall customer service and do not forget professionalism. Last thing I want is to call an airline and feel like I am talking "el pacha" who is on telemindo. Do nto speak to me like we are "boys". This is business, leave the choperia behind.

I called a certain airline which I will not mention to check on some flights for an uncle...it sounded like a zoo. Never again. I told my cheap ass uncle to pay more and fly another airline.

I hate to bring this up but these airlines need to bring in managment from the big boys. Bring in people from CO or AA or JBLU and pay them!! don't bring in these 50 cent managers who don't know diddly squat.

sorry if I took the thread out of context. I just think that these things need to be established before we proceed.

you also forgot to include Aeromar and Air Santo Domingo.

let's get these boys to play hardball with the other US carriers and dominate the DR traffic.

Take British Airways...you have all these airlines that fly to the UK. If you have not flown from JFK to LHR on BA ( even better if business class) then you are missing out.

That what i want from these carriers!! I want people to say " I fly to the DR an X amount of times. I go for th best deal but my first choice is Lan Dominicana (just an example). I try to fly with them as much as possible and I usually do because they offer competetive fares and are the best."

Guess what? most people will pay a little more just as long as they are satisfied with an airline..I know I would.

Look at it this way. When you live on the east coast (NY) and you want to fly to Florida or even Las Vegas...the first thing that pops into many people's head is JETBLUE

thats what i want from these carriers

am i asking for too much?lol

eli

Jun 10, 2003
You are correct about Air Jamaica and Sandals however they are not in the of shape economically (Air Jamica that is) and for them to travel out of the U.S. to the D.R. it would involve 5th freedom rights or perhaps we are witnessing another AJ-------Dominicana airline which would mean the extention of another foreing carrier into our industry.

Please don't get me wrong, i have nothing against these airlines besides the fact that they employ minimal Dominican staff, they as Dominican carriers are not required to own a Dominican registered aircraft (like aeromar was forced to do) and i've seen their certification process here in the D.R. which leaves alot to br desired but in the end it is the public who benefits by having different options the only problem with that is when they pack up and go or operate with long delays or cancel because it is not accomodating to their master schedule, then it reflects a bad image on the Dominican aviation industry (and by the way i'm not pointing any fingers) which in turn the U.S. competitors use that against the D.R. carriers with reason.

The other side of all this is that unfortunatelly as long as Dominican carriers have to wetlease aircraft from foreing operators there is no money to be made because the operator gets most of it you have to have a real good load factor to make any descent income and this the D.R. airlines owe to DGAC who have done nothing for the past 10 years to get this country out of cat3 now 2*.

I would very much like to see BQ,EX,Aerodomca,Caribair and any true Dominican airline expanding to broader horizons but unfortunately the reality is Dominican carriers will fly only as far as the U.S. carriers with the help of the authorities let them.

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
DC to DR

Keith,

I am with you. I look forward to the day when we can fly directly from DC to the DR.

Brazilians interested in the DR? That is news to me.

eli

Jun 10, 2003
Well it's not really a surprise, about Brazilians interested in the D.R. Air plus Argentina operated a few flights out of Brasil to puj before the collapse of the argentinian economy.

Jan 1, 2002
Transbrasil before bankruptcy operated rio-sao paulo-punta cana
Varig before 1995 to SDQ from SAO and RIO
actually DR has promotions for tourist in Brazil, we can had a good traffic from brazil by the tourist.

eli

Jun 10, 2003
Another good destination is EZE-PUJ now that the economy is showing signs of improvement in Argentina. There were many flights at one time from EZE even an Argentine airforce 707 brought tourists in from argentina.