Earthquake & tourism

lola

Jul 10, 2003
I have been told that the earthquake has had a huge impact on the tourist activities and that people are losing their jobs. Is this accurate? Are the trips (such as jeep tours, snorkeling and sailing) minimal now as a result?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I can't speak to the hotels, but I haven't seen any noticeable changes in the amounts of tourists here personally. The tours seem to be full as normal. Saw a bunch yesterday driving to Santiago.

Anyway, the earthquake was almost ignored by the rest of the world, with very little press attention so it'd be difficult for me to understand how there could be a big impact if no one even knew about it.

Tom (aka XR)

lola

Jul 10, 2003
I see what you're saying. Someone who lives down there told us that people were losing their jobs because of all the problems associated with the earthquake. We were hoping that was not true and that everyone is recovering and are gainfully employed. I would hate for you all to lose any tourist dollars. Especially on the great excursions available.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I think most people look at the Earthquake as a freak of nature that happens once every 50 years and not something to be concerned about. Aside from that, the earthquake got zero coverage in the media in North America and I assume little if any in Europe so I'll bet that the majority of potential tourists that may be planning a trip to the DR as we speak do not even know there was an earthquake. When I returned to NY from my trip last week everyone who I told there had been an earthquake in the DR had not heard a thing about it.
Larry

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We received no news regarding the eq in the DR. Any of them!
:) Sounds like it's the same everywhere.
I doubt that any travel agency would make an announcement of earthquakes to dissuade paying customers.
Maybe it's just propaganda to blame the poor economy on 'acts of god.'
mk

lola

Jul 10, 2003
Thanks everyone. Actually I was trying to see if the person who reported this lost their job on their own or if it was actually due to misfortune in the DR. My friend has gotten herself into a situation with someone and I'm waiting to check the validity of the story.

DamnYankee

Feb 9, 2003
Do I smell a sankie???

Lola please elaborate on your story. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it sounds like someone's sankie needs cash. Just curious.

lola

Jul 10, 2003
Not sure what "sankie" is, but my friend met a guy who lives there while we were vacationing. She went back to visit him for a week and now he's moving to be with her. Some of the things he's been telling her make me question him. Did he really lose his job because the earthquake shook up tourism? After the earthquake did looters get into his bank account? Interesting, don't you think?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Vampire

Lola, A sankie is sort of a version of a Dominican vampire. They will charm the hell out of you, tell you a story of their unfortunate life, and suck the lifeblood (money) out of you. I suggest you and your friend remove the welcome mat and have some wooden stakes handy. Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
lola said:
Some of the things he's been telling her make me question him. Did he really lose his job because the earthquake shook up tourism? After the earthquake did looters get into his bank account? Interesting, don't you think?

Apparently you are a lot smarter than your friend, lola.

No, the earthquake has not affected tourism.

No, the leech did not lose his job because of the earthquake.

Your friend is just what this leech has been looking for: a gullible girl willing to let him into her pants and her purse. BTW, she is not the first nor will she be the last girl he has scored with. And he may very well have a wife, though he will deny it if confronted.

The term given these guys in the DR is sanki. Most, but not all, are employed in the resort hotels as part of the animation team. This is where they meet the girls they work their charm on. They are especially successful with girls who are not very attractive, but even beautiful girls sometimes fall for their act.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
I'm truly impressed.... at how fast and accurate your Sankidar works [Ken, DYankee, PJT]! Tip of the hat to you all....you just might've saved some nubile creature from having her purse [or whatever] further abused by a Skanky.

Best, P

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just spoke with Kim Beddall in Samana by phone. She said that since the earthquake none of the tour operators in Puerto Plata have sent groups to Samana.

Wonder if they think the Peninsula of Samana is going to break off and float away?

lola

Jul 10, 2003
Thanks folks. I appreciate your input and candidness. Needless to say, I am worried about my friend getting tied up with someone who could be very toxic. She's a smart woman so she should be alright as long as she puts on her bull sh** or sankie detector. An interesting tid bit - they're both Americans.....but he's been living down there for quite a while.