Good local restaurants in Jack Tar Village area and other ??

deirdre

Apr 5, 2003
Hello there,
My sister and I will be leaving this Saturday for a week in Jack Tar Village in POP. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on good local places to eat outside the resort area. After we get past the sheer laziness of the first couple of days at the resort, we will be ready to go exploring. I have been to La Romana a few times, this is the first trip to the North Coast.
Also if we decide to rent a car, does National have an office outside of the airport close to the resort? I have driven around La Romana - it didn't seem any more hair-raising than Mexico or even Boston! We thought we might like to get a car for a day or two, once we get our bearings.
One last question - where is the best place to snorkel off the beach?
Any other advice, greatly appreciated.
The archives are a mine of information, but I couldn't find the answers to these specific questions. So apologies if this is a repeat of old info/questions.

Thank you.
Deirdre

daddy-0

Oct 2, 2003
restaurants around playa dorada

Cafe Cito is right outside the Playa Dorada complex
Your best bet is to go down to Sosua where there is plenty of fantastic restaurants
Waterfront
La Roca
Rockys
Pierre Georgios (pricy but worth it)
Restaurant Central in Chermicos
Mouri Mai

Just to name a few.

You will also find good snorkeling right in Sousa Bay so you could make a day trip out of it.

ONE WARNING
Once you spend a day in Sosua you will not want to go back to "compound"

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
For affordable, typucal Domincan food, within walking distance of your hotel - check out El Manguito.....not fancy, open air, reliable eats with local clientele. Take a right turn at the gates of Playa Dorada complex and head towards P PLata - it is on the same side of the highway as your hotel.....you can cab it of course-it's very close and easily walked to (at least for me it was) during the day albeit along the main road.

Nice cold beer, crab or conch guisado (like stew) w/rice and beans and fried plantain...agua de coco......Mmmm I wish I could get some of that right now.
Have a great vacation

deirdre

Apr 5, 2003
Thank you both for the information. I'm really looking forward to exploring the area, and knowing where the good food is outside the resort tends to be a pretty good start. Not much point in travelling if
there is no intention to enoy the local flavors. We are not usually resort types, but the price was too good to pass up. I am actually kind of hoping that we will wish we weren't at the resort - to daddy-o's comment - it gives me a perfect excuse to go back and get it right the next time!

You have a great community here - I have been lurking for a while now, and I really appreciate all the information I have been able to gather.

All the best,
Deirdre

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jack Tar is the Ol' Daddy at Playa Dorada

We have stayed there a few times. It is right on the golf course (Holes 5, 6, 7 and 8 surround the hotel.) It has had a recent renovation and is very nice. They know how to take care of quests.

You might not have to invest in a rental. Cafe Cito and the Manguito are close by and I am sure that you can find a nice taxi driver: Wilson Taxi Service , tel 571 1545 comes to mind. He is highly recommended by people on this board)
You can try Johan and eat fish until it comes out your ears, along with ice cold presidente and "tostones" a local potato substitute that is to die for.

If you do get Wilson, tell him to take you to Meca's, where they have dried meat hanging out front and she will cook it for you right there. Makes the best sausage in the DR.

All of the recomendations are excellent, and I have eaten at them all.....except Pier Giorgio's.

Of course if you want to come to Santiago and do some eating, well then, that is a whole 'nother ball of wax! And it's only an hour away by bus....

HB