Hip-hop and rap in the DR

fidelista

Oct 3, 2003
saintjohn.rebelyouth.ca
First off - hi to everyone. I'm new to this forum. I just graduated from university in Canada with my BA in Human Rights. I'm going to the DR in a month for a 6 month internship with an international health organization there. I've got a ton of questions about the DR, and am just going to start with one of the first that came to my mind.

I'm into hip-hop and rap quite a bit and am looking for info on the entire scene in SD, and on the island in general. I tried finding stuff via online searches but nothing much turned up. Does anyone know of good hip-hop clubs in SD, groups, or organizations which promote rap artists? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

In solidarity,
Shaney from da block

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Check the calendar on www.809k.com .

They mostly just deal with techno/rave events but I noticed a couple upcoming hip hop events on their calendar the other day.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
rap and such

I think its safe to assume that if you go to the areas of the major cities where the derelicts and chopos hang out you will find rap music and the like. Much like the United States; the seedier the section and the people who frequent said section, the greater chance of encountering a lot of music such as you are seeking.
Larry

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
No! Say It Ain't So!

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
I think its safe to assume that if you go to the areas of the major cities where the derelicts and chopos hang out you will find rap music and the like. Much like the United States; the seedier the section and the people who frequent said section, the greater chance of encountering a lot of music such as you are seeking.
Gee, Lar! I was at PriceMart in Santiago buying a couple of TV's today, and all they were playing on the stereo systems nearby was was rap and hip hop at full blast. Does that make PriceMart one of the seedier areas by default? I thought I was back club hopping through the black clubs in Orlando with my firends for a minute. Flashbacks!

Tom (aka XR)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Does that make PriceMart one of the seedier areas by default?--TOM

No but I'll bet there are plenty of Chopos going in there and buying the sound systems am I right? Generally the lower class buy the biggest sound systems to blast their rap and such while the rest of us have the decency to play our normal music at a decibel that is not offensive to those within earshot. Pricemart is smart because they know they will sell more sound systems that way. Rap is nothing more than a lot of angry noise.
Larry

Last edited:

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Rap is nothing more than a lot of angry noise.
Larry

I hate it when people make bad comments about things they know NOTHING about, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Anyways, I don't believe there's any true hip hop clubs in SD. I tried my hardest to find one, but couldn't. However, there are many clubs which play hip hop or have hip hop nights. These are the only ones that I can think of right now: Seven2Seven in the Malecon has hip hop night on Thursdays. Trio Cafe (ave Abraham Lincoln) plays a little of everything, including hip hop. O'Side and Eclipse also plays a little of everything except Saturday nights. Vanity(Zona Colonial) is tight because they have all you can drink nights. All have strict dress codes except O'Side. You can wear whatever you want in O'Side ie doorags, skullys, fitteds, throwbacks, and sneakers. Hope that helped, if you have any other questions please ask.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Before Everyone Gets All Bent Out-of-Shape

I really like a great deal of rap and hip hop music. Being usually the lone little speck of cream in the coffee going out with my friends in the US most are amazed that I actually know all the words to the songs when they don't. I like everything from classical to rap, with the possible exception of 90% of country music (and it's Dominican cousin, Bachata). That having been said, quite a bit of the gangster rap IMO ought to be universally referred to as gangster (c)rap.

But, to each his own.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Larry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just what kind of music do people like you listen to at "normal" volume? Whatever it is I bet your parents though it was just a bunch of noise too and fit for only the chopos of your time. Then again you're old so it's understandable that new things like hip-hop and rap are alien to you and scare you. But that's no reason to put it down. Next time some young chopo starts blasting his rap music I suggest you go over and tell him why his music sucks and to turn it down because it bothers all the old normal people such as yourself then when you get out of the hospital I'll be the first one to send you a cd of the music that normal people such as yourself listen to. Untill then just remember to take your Lamisil and to change your Depends daily.

Ramon

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I'm back

Sorry guys,
I was busy bustin out some rhymes! Now Ima hit some tail up in my crib yo! Peace!
Larry

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Oh well, this argument will go on forever and ever. Tom, I appreciate your open-mindedness on this. Most people here would just say the same thing as Larry. I've posted several times about how I had to put up with a lot of crap from other people in DR because of what I listened too but everything has its critics. My father calls it "el tunki-tunki" because of the bass in most songs, even though I won't blast it unless I'm throwin' a party. I will agree with Tom because he said that alotta gangsta rap is garbage, and truth be told, a large amount of gangsta rap is garbage. It's mostly the record label's fault for trying to find a gimmick that sells and that stuff does sell. Then the artists want to make money so they rap about bullshit cars and material things that don't make sense and they don't even have. That's why I just listen to early 90s hip-hop, groups like Tribe Called Quest which had something to say about their communities and the people, it was about upliftment of your people.

Nowadays, the people in DR are picking up on it but I feel that it is an unfair generalization when people call everyone who listens to it a chopo or a low-class person. It all depends on the person. I'll just keep on rockin' music by that group called Little Brother, excellent music and lyrics that make sense, the antithesis to all the crap that's out or whatever the (wack) mixtape DJs are putting out. I notices a difference in DJs in DR, after DJ Mahogany started doing gigs in the jevito clubs, all the other DJs stopped using CDJ players which only use CDs, and switched to turntables. Several aspects of Hip-hop are taking over whether people like it or not, it all depends on how you choose to look at it. For example, Eve just created a clothing line and she models for Chanel in Paris, P. Diddy received an award for new clothing line of the year last year by a group of design companies, can't recall their names but I know that Italian and French firms like the aforementioned Chanel, also the one that Alexander McQueen designs for, form the majority of the group.

And Little Brother makes fun of coffeeshop rappers........."brothers wit dreads callin' theyself 'Gods'/ with white girls named Caitlyn".........funny rhymes, haha....

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Two words I can't stand..

"hate" and "normal".

Both overused on this board for sure. Larry Larry LARRY!

Please define "normal" for me? It's about as ambiguous a word as their is.

That being said, music is such a subjective topic that critics abound and their skills at making a thoughtful review of music should only be considered when it's intelligent and OBJECTIVE - and never ever containing the word "normal".

I have run into very little in the way of hip-hop and rap here in S.D. I've heard it coming out of my students headphones, but not much in bars or other places that employ music as a backdrop.

In one of S.D.'s biggest "theme" danceclubs (GOLD'S Gym) they play a lot in the way of hip hop, but it's usually so loud that you can't even talk on your phone while you (don't) exercise or stare at yourself in the mirror until you and your reflection have to broken up ....que verguenza!

I've found my taste(s) for music change constantly and for that I'm thankful. I was in college when YO MTV Raps came on the air and 3 or 4 of my hungover friends would come over every Saturday morning to watch it, religiously. "Growing up" with that music allowed me to be exposed to the aforementioned Tribe Called Quest (and all of their run-offs since) 3rd Bass and a wonderful flash in the pan - MC Solar. If you've never heard French rap you'd think the music was made for the language - smooth like butter.

I'm kicking some "Little Brother" right now, thanks Jon S.

When's the next "el tunki-tunki" party?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
que interesante...

I love MC Solar. A friend in Boothbay stole my CD to impress cute French exchange students. Smooth like butter is one way to describe it. Amazingly textured is another.

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
Re: Two words I can't stand..

Cleef said:
"hate" and "normal".

Both overused on this board for sure. Larry Larry LARRY!

Please define "normal" for me? It's about as ambiguous a word as their is.

nor?mal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n?rml)
adj.
Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type; typical: normal room temperature; one's normal weight; normal diplomatic relations.
Biology. Functioning or occurring in a natural way; lacking observable abnormalities or deficiencies.
Abbr. n or N Chemistry.
Designating a solution having one gram equivalent weight of solute per liter of solution.
Designating an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight and unbranched chain of carbon atoms.
Mathematics.
Being at right angles; perpendicular.
Perpendicular to the direction of a tangent line to a curve or a tangent plane to a surface.

Relating to or characterized by average intelligence or development.
Free from mental illness; sane.

n.
Something normal; the standard: scored close to the normal.
The usual or expected state, form, amount, or degree.

Correspondence to a norm.
An average.
Mathematics. A perpendicular, especially a perpendicular to a line tangent to a plane curve or to a plane tangent to a space curve.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Re: I'm back

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Sorry guys,
I was busy bustin out some rhymes! Now Ima hit some tail up in my crib yo! Peace!
Larry

lol that was too funny Larry. Great posts MONCHI8 and Jon S, I'm on the same page with you two. BTW Jon S, my father calls it "boom boom" music because of the bass.

fidelista

Oct 3, 2003
saintjohn.rebelyouth.ca
Larry isn't as much of a nuisance as it seems. His middle-aged narrow-mindedness and likely love for honkey tonk and all things square dance is really quite useful ? if you're doing your doctoral thesis on people with the personalities of dung beetles.

Thanks JDub for the club suggestions, and curlando for the CD offer. Maybe I'll run into all y'all when I?m in SD. Until then (and likely afterwards), I?ll just keep on posting.

In solidarity,
Shaney from da block