Phrases that really rub me the wrong way .....

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Since we are talking about etiquette and mannners, let me air my two pet peeves regarding what I hear most when living in DR.

"Qui?n me habla ?"

At least once daily, while answering my phone at work or home, this is the very first phrase I hear when I pick up the phone. Never mind that the caller hasn't identified him/herself. Instead, I'm being interrogated like it's my fault that they don't know who I am. Hello ??? I mean, isn't it natural to identify yourself first when making a call ??

My typical response, without sounding rude, is "Con quien usted desear hablar ?". And then incredible enough, they might tell you who they are and who they are looking for. But still, some insist on "quien me habla ?" again. Back to square one.......

Another one is "No fu? yo", or "No tengo la culpa" when it was clear that the person was at fault. I've grown resigned to the fact that a person would sooner kill himself than admitting fault.

Bet I'm not alone in noticing the above ! :)

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Quien me habla? Like knocking on s.o's door and asking the guy who opens "Who are you?"...

It wasn' t me:
I think it's more typical to say nothing at all, just act like nothing happened, if you broke sth, for example.
Hopefully it will never be discovered.
"If I ignore it, maybe it didn't really happen" may be the thought of it.

What I hate too:
Someone for example from your bank, or Codetel (you never met before) calls you "Mi amor"on the phone. That makes me want to lie down and cry tears of pain.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
What I hate too:
Someone for example from your bank, or Codetel (you never met before) calls you "Mi amor"on the phone.
Me too! "Mi amor", though, is just the tip of the iceberg.... "Mi cielo" and "mi vida" grate on my nerves much more, especially when you factor in a patronizing tone of voice.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Formosano2000 said:
Since we are talking about etiquette and mannners, let me air my two pet peeves regarding what I hear most when living in DR.

"Qui?n me habla ?"

At least once daily, while answering my phone at work or home, this is the very first phrase I hear when I pick up the phone. Never mind that the caller hasn't identified him/herself. Instead, I'm being interrogated like it's my fault that they don't know who I am. Hello ??? I mean, isn't it natural to identify yourself first when making a call ??

My typical response, without sounding rude, is "Con quien usted desear hablar ?". And then incredible enough, they might tell you who they are and who they are looking for. But still, some insist on "quien me habla ?" again. Back to square one.......

Another one is "No fu? yo", or "No tengo la culpa" when it was clear that the person was at fault. I've grown resigned to the fact that a person would sooner kill himself than admitting fault.

Bet I'm not alone in noticing the above ! :)

All oooo sooo true! Especially the "quien me habla?" bit... The worst part is some people actually get offended when you dont immediately answer their question...

My apartment is right on the corner of a high traffic intersection and there is at least one car accident a week. Usually it involves some idiot running the stop sign and smacking into some poor innocent driver. Next thing you see is the "at fault" party yelling and screaming at the innocent victim who's car was just destroyed.... After 10 minutes of getting yelled at, the innocent driver usually tucks their tail in between their legs and just drives off in their smashed up car. Simply amazing...

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
It annoys me to no end when people yell up at my house from the street. I have a call phone. I have a telephone! I know I live on the second floor but gimma a break. If I know the persons coming its different. But at 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 or 5, people yelling from the street or banging the lock on the gate. Even if I'm awake. What about the neighbors! Then if I do answer..which usually I don't. I say I'n sleeping. They say its ok...let me in! Did they not hear right...I said I AM IN BED!
No respect for others!
And the me amore thing. I agree. I'm not your love. You don't even know my name and your calling me all these endering names.
But I guess theres nothing you can do about it. Just have to accept and be annoyed.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You mean to tell me that every time I've been called mi amor, mi cielo, mi vida that they weren't sincere? Well I'm shocked and broken hearted. :rolleyes:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
What about the horn "Honk honk honk" because they're to fckunig lazy to get out and go knock on the door.
PS I know it's not a phrase but it still pee's me off.

Last edited:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Eddy summed it up

It's cultural. Sometimes cultures clash; most every gringo gripe has its criollo equivalent. If you aren't sure what I mean, but you can read Spanish, there are several forums similar to this one that break it down for you.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
How are you?

"como toota"

.......what the hell did you just call me?:cross-eye

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: How are you?

Cleef said:
"como toota"

.......what the hell did you just call me?:cross-eye

HAHAHA!!!!!! I remember that one, makes me think it's a Dominican cartoon that's talking to me and not a person........

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Jane J. said:
Me too! "Mi amor", though, is just the tip of the iceberg.... "Mi cielo" and "mi vida" grate on my nerves much more, especially when you factor in a patronizing tone of voice.

Equally annoying is when they call you rubia this rubia that. Terms of endearment? who knows?

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
The best is when they call you RRRRubia and you're not even blonde!!
What about Mami.....correct me if I am wrong girls, but there is nothing that pisses a girl more than being called mami. And I've met guys that call girls mami with perfect ease and confidence, they are convinced there is nothing wrong with that!!Ja, I just have to laugh.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Spain morena means brunette, so at first I experienced some confusion here. Look at it this way, it is the only place in the world where I can be "rubia" without having to spend hours of my time and $$$$ at the salon...

Chiri

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Chirimoya said:
In Spain morena means brunette, so at first I experienced some confusion here. Look at it this way, it is the only place in the world where I can be "rubia" without having to spend hours of my time and $$$$ at the salon...

Chiri

go girl, blondes have more fun, don't you know.

Are the redheads rubias, or pelirojas?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Mi Amol - Mami

I always call girls either "mi amol" or "mami". What's more sexy than "Que paaaasa mi amol, Maaami tu sabes que yo te quiero mucho, Hola rubia (If she has blonde hair), Never had a problem with that. To the contrary they seem to love it. I think you girls have a complex. As for me, papi is just fine. Viejo is borderline. LOL.