Missed flight POP to Toronto stuck in POP Help

katiemontreal

Oct 6, 2003
My daughter (Canadian) missed flight tonite and is stuck in POP does anyone have any ideas on how to get to Toronto (where her car is at airport) or Montreal (where we live)???????
Today is Oct 6....... she could go through states or wherever..... it would be nice not to have to spend a fortune as this was supposed to be a 'cheap' trip, air only to visit a friend.......any help would be SOOOOO appreciated, ideas anything!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow how did she miss the flight? She can still get home but it won't be cheap. Will cost as much as a return trip. Has she contacted any agents? What tour operater did she go with? Think there is only two charters and air canada.

Here's the number for Air Canada try it maybe they can help
1 888-247-2262

Last edited:

katiemontreal

Oct 6, 2003
Not sure how she missed flight, will try Air Canada, she flew out on a cheap ticket from TO $330 round trip (taxes in) Sky Service rings a bell. Thanks for the concern, I'll have to wait till morning to see if there's anything I can do from this end.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
As far as I know, the flights to Toronto are on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
Saturday flights are AC85 at 14:10 and SG901 at 11:20. AC is probably cheaper.
Sunday flights are TS571 at 12:30, SG905 at 11:20, and 5G067 at 11:15.
Monday flight is 5G323 at 17:50 which should be the cheapest. It is listed at $345 plus taxes return for 10/13 to 10/20.

I hope the airlines do not take advantage of you, but it would not surprise me if they do.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
If your daughter has a ticket to Toronto, the airline company will probably honor that ticket and put her on the next flight. (For a fee of course). If the plane is full then she will have priority on the standby list. Other than that, American Airlines via NY/Miami, or a ticket to Montreal Friday PM. (About US$300.00). When you compare the costs : Living expenses here for the week vs paying a little extra for an AA flight, the latter is probably the best bet, Good Luck.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Probably too late....

but wouldn't it be easier for your daughter to work out the problem on her end? Assume you've spoken to her...or not?

Best, P

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not on Skyservice They Won't

Eddy said:
If your daughter has a ticket to Toronto, the airline company will probably honor that ticket and put her on the next flight. (For a fee of course). If the plane is full then she will have priority on the standby list.

Skyservice and Transat charters are strictly "you snooze, you lose" so they could not give a rats rear-end if you arrive on time or not, period. They are not a scheduled carrier and you have no ability to take another flight, whcih run at random times and are actually sold by the tour company not the "airline". They also don't offer "standby", leaving here or POP.

Frankly if you missed the AA flight to MIA they would not honour a ticket that has lapsed for a later flight , though they may take pity , if you miss it and don't call them they just put it down as a no-show. You can at leats call them, pay $100 and change the flight but amazingly enough they actually think the passenger has an obligation to do that BEFORE the flight leaves.

Best bet: Call AA in SDQ (542-5151) or go online to AA.com and buy a one-way ticket to YYZ via MIA. They don't fly to Montreal AFAIK.

OR: see if a round trip coach fare is cheaper, buy that and toss the return ticket. It is possible that the charters will ahve an empty seat but as that other stranded Canadian found out, it can take a while to get a seat.

(You can always check CO and US Air via Newark and Philly for seats, same idea, but I think you wind up in Toronto not Montreal)

Pretty irresponsible missing a flight at all, so it costs what it costs.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Flight

We can not help you, we can give you only some suggestion, but she self need to handle this at the airport, she was too late so what was the ticket restrictions? by the way the airline will help here!

katiemontreal

Oct 6, 2003
Missed Flight now ready to roll Saturday

I want to thank all of you for your information and concern, I think this is probably one of every travellers nightmares.

She did have to work things out from her end, I realized that tickets are issued for point of departure IATA rules or whatever. The biggest problem here is that at this time of year the airlines from Canada only go in and out on the weekends , as it is their quiet time. She was told that AA does fly out each day but to use that only if an emergency (death?) as it costs a fortune $700-900 us one way.
Sooo with her friends help she found a little motel to stay in that includes breakfast for $20 US a night plus AC leaves 2:00 pm Saturday back to Toronto (where her car is) that flight will set her back $450 cdn not cheap but alot better than AA. We are now just hoping nothing else goes wrong and for the record, she said the tour rep said a number of people missed that flight, there was some confusion over the departure times as they were being changed right up to the moment of departure from Toronto to POP. She did say the rep which was signature (I believe) was super helpful. They were also going to try and fit her onto a charter if there was an extra seat, but she opted to book so as to sure to get out, school and work are important.

Lesson learned: The importance of calling to confirm your flight when you get up in the morning of your last day! She called enroute to the airport about half way, she was driving from Punta Cana back to POP and did a 9 hour drive in 7 hours, not safe, but thank God she's alive now to tell her story......... kids! This however is part of how we become (more) responsible adults......I hope!

Thank all of you again

Katie

katiemontreal

Oct 6, 2003
ONE FINAL THOUGHT

The irony of all this is that the flight in question left POP and had a scheduled stop in PUNTA CANA ! so had she been able to (which she was told NO) she could have eliminated the long drive and just gone to the Punta Cana airport.

Ironic, not so funny

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
So, Mom....

what does the daughter have to say for herself? Does she know how worried you were?

Think she should write the whole episode out in detail and post it here. And, don't let her travel alone again!

Best, P

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Sorry for the prejudice, but from the start I couldn't help but wonder, wether this friend may have been someone from the hotel activities staff she met on a previous trip....

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Well, Mom....

there may be a small consensus forming.....get out the bright lights and hard chair. Daughter has some answering to do. She may have had everyone all atwitter for naught.

Suspiciously, P

rediwat

Oct 7, 2003
Missed flight? How did she end up at Punta Cana?

Must ask this query. If your daughter was in POP and missed the flight there, how could "just go to PUnta Cana" and avoid the long drive from POP to Punta Cana?

What am I missing here?

Hope it turns out ok. Sounds like she may have learned a valuable lesson. LIke they say, "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger."

Steven from White Rock.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: Missed flight? How did she end up at Punta Cana?

rediwat said:
Must ask this query. If your daughter was in POP and missed the flight there, how could "just go to PUnta Cana" and avoid the long drive from POP to Punta Cana?

What am I missing here?

She went from wherever she was to POP to take the flight home which stopped in PUJ on the way as charters do ( rarely telling you in advance, another strike against them), so I presume it was an easier trip to PUJ had she known and didn't so she went out of her way to go to POP (maybe from SDQ? Who knows/cares?) and then landed a scant 20 minutes later.

Missing a flight completely takes the cake regardless of the circumstances of how she left.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
God help us all

pasha said:
Think she should write the whole episode out in detail and post it here. And, don't let her travel alone again!

Why would we need to suffer through the explanation? Better yet why would she say what happened?

Hey if she has the $$ and wants to travel like that she can do what she wants, assuming she's an adult, only use AA or CO etc., so you cancall and rebook for a fee vs. finding a whole new flight home.

Let's face it we all know she met a "chocolate friend" or other hotel worker and had fun and ain't telling Mom the details or us. Luckily.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Actually, I was just kidding.....

ricktoronto said:
Why would we need to suffer through the explanation? Better yet why would she say what happened?
and would never want anyone to suffer. And I never really expected to hear from the unnamed daughter, who probably was sent to bed without supper.

What amazed me about this story, and it wasn't all that bad to follow a drama, was that a grown woman's mother would be appealing from Canada for someone in the DR to help get the prodigal daughter back home. Had all the makings of a Python skit or scene from a Coen film.

Best, P