Divorce in Dominican Republic

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Okay, I was finally able to get ahold of the person that I mentioned in my previous post that I married almost 10 years ago. He mentioned to me that he obtained an attorney a while back to get the divorce. He mentioned that they posted the divorce in the paper and now the only thing left to do is get a copy of the divorce. I am a little confused, I thought that legally, both people had to sign something in order to get the divorce finalized. Can anyone confirm this? He said that once he gets the actual paperwork, he will send me an original for my records. He said that the Civil Registry where we got married sent the book of where our marriage is recorded to Santo Domingo. Does any of this make sense??????????????????????????????????????

Dec 9, 2002
As I understand things, only one person needs to be present to obtain a divorce in DR. But if this man is unable to produce any paperwork to prove he went ahead with it, I would not be inclined to believe him. Seems a bit coincidental to me that after 10 years (mostly spent apart if memory serves me right) you both think of divorce at the same time. Don't just take his word for it, get proof for your own peace of mind.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
You need the court sentence, the civil registry record and the publication

In order to be sure that now you are divorced you should try to obtain not only the divorce sentence of the court that has handled it but also the respective evidence that it has been recorded in the civil registry and the newspaper clipping where it was published. Normally the lawyers in charge of divorces keep these documents in their files. Any way even without the publication the divorce will be valid if there has been a respective sentence recorded in the civil registry of the place wheere you got married.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Dominican Babe:

He has been trying to get this divorce for years, but since he is from a very poor family he had no source of income to pay for it. We haven't spoken to each other in over 8 years and just as I was thinking about this whole situation, I came home one day last week and he had left a message on my answering machine. Talk about weird! He wants this divorce just as much as I want it, he has a girlfriend and 2 minor children now and wants to get married to her. Any idea of how long it will take to get the proof of divorce from the Civil Registry of where we got marred?

What papers should I ask for to have for my files, so that when I apply for the K-1 visa, I have everything they need. Can you also tell me what the documents are called in Spanish also, so that when I tell him what I need he knows exactly what I am talking about.

Also, one more question, Since I got married in the Dominican Republic, but never recorded the marriage here in the states, is my divorce considered legal? Would I need to take my paperwork to the Dominican Consulate here in the US and have them do something with my papers?

Thank you all for your help,.

Dec 9, 2002
Sorry Negracita, I can't answer your questions. I don't know anything about divorce in DR other than what I posted above. Did you follow Robert's link? There's lots of info there. Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your divorce

will be considered legal in the USA.. Just get the paperwork.

HB