Samana

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hello All,

My husband and I, another couple, and a friend (who is recently divorced, heehee) will be staying in Cabarete for a couple of weeks in December. I was hoping to get away for a couple of nights to Samana, maybe las Terrenas, with my husband. I am hoping you guys could give me some information.

I seem to recall reading that there is bus service from Puerto Plata to Samana, which passes through Sosua. Could anyone confirm this, and give me an idea of schedule and price?

I will probably have to contact the various different places for accomodation. I know this might be difficult as it will be during the holidays, but our dates during that time are not fixed. If I can find somewhere that has two nights not booked, that would be great. Any advice and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I do all of the planning and booking of our trips (we travel with the other couple regularly) and I am hoping to scout out possible locations for our next trip. The first trip that my husband and I took to the DR, was to Samana, and we stayed at the Gran Bahia. I understand that this resort/hotel has gone downhill since then. That is too bad, as it was a very nice place. We are now over the AI thing, and prefer to stay in a villa or apartment.

I am more concerned about the transporation aspect at this point than I am about accomodation, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rose

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rose, Caribe Tour has a bus that goes from Puerto Plata to Samana daily. It leaves Puerto Plata at 7am and Sosua at 7:30 am. If you want to go to Las Terrenas, buy a ticket to Sanchez, the town before Samana. There will be transportation there to take you over the mountain to Las Terrenas. Be aware that it won't be a bus and may be a pickup truck, but it will get you to Las Terrenas.

Not sure of the bus price, but it will be about RD$150 (US$5)

As far as Gran Bahia is concerned, there has been some improvement.

PS: The bus to Samana pases through Cabarete but does not stop there. So the day you make your trip to Samana you will have to go to the Caribe Tour bus terminal in Sosua.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Rose,

If you are looking for a villa and are tired of the 'AI thing', I highly recommend Costa Las Ballenas. They have villas and all are really nice but try to get one in front of the beach. During December- Janruary, the climate is great so you wont miss the A/C. Close by is also Hotel Atlantis which is really nice too and the food is superb. Best cook in the Samana area.

Good Luck!
S

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Samiam,

Can you share a web site. I would also be interested for future references.

Renting a car from Cabarete is very cheap too. The drive there is very nice if you're driving.

ecarignan

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Thanks for all the info folks. I really appreciate it.

Ken, I'm glad to hear that things are improving at the Gran Bahia. It is really a very pretty hotel.

Samiam, I did a search for Costa Las Ballenas. I did find a website but it was all in French. I can puzzle my way through it, but do you know if they have an English site?

I have heard nothing but good things about hotel atlantis. Even if we don't wind up staying there, I certainly intend to have dinner there.

I am thinking about Los Holandeses. Their site says they have rooms for about $30 per night. That's all we really need this time around as we will only be staying for a couple of nights. I haven't contacted them yet so I don't even know if they have anything available around that time.

ecarignan, I have gotten a lot of useful information about the Samana area at samana.net.

As for renting a car, well, I think I'll leave the driving to the professionals.

Thanks again,
Rose

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Webdev,

Thanks for the info. I have emailed these places and also a few more. We shall see what and if they can offer me anything.

I am uncertain if Costa Las Ballenas is the same as Hotel Bahia las Ballenas. The pictures don't look the same. Can you or anyone else clarify?

Thanks,
Rose

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net

I am uncertain if Costa Las Ballenas is the same as Hotel Bahia las Ballenas. The pictures don't look the same. Can you or anyone else clarify?

Thanks,
Rose

Hi Rose,
Villas Costa Las Ballenas are 9 villas build around Hotel Bahia Las Ballenas and part of the same property sharing everything with the hotel, wich IMHO is one of the best in the Punta Bonita area. Search on DR1 for a review posted by Mcbrass a year or so ago.
Regards,
WebDev

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Webdev,

Thanks for the clarification. I have already booked a room with Los Holandeses. They had one that is very inexpensive, which is what I was looking for this time around, as we are already paying for the beachfront villa in Cabarete :).

I am hoping to get a look at the various properties while I am there. Do you know if I walk up and down the beach, will I be able to get a look at the various properties?

Thanks again for all your help.

Leslie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you rent a car

I have seen and heard that El Tambor, just a little bit out of Saman? towards Las Galeras is very nice and quiet. You can bring food and cook there, or explore the area. Las Galeras has Nicole and Andy as well as some other great people. It is funny, I have eaten at four places in tiny Las Galeras, and all were very good. Villa Serena, Maouri (?), El Marinique (Andy and Nicole) and the Italian place at the corner where the little market is.

Have a wonderful stay...

HB

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
rmary said:
Hi Webdev,

Thanks for the clarification. I have already booked a room with Los Holandeses. They had one that is very inexpensive, which is what I was looking for this time around, as we are already paying for the beachfront villa in Cabarete :).

I am hoping to get a look at the various properties while I am there. Do you know if I walk up and down the beach, will I be able to get a look at the various properties?

Thanks again for all your help.

Leslie

Casa los Holandeses is a good choice, and Jos the owner and a long time resident of Punta Bonita will give you all the informations about Punta Bonita and Playa Coson, where to eat and what to do. I will also sugest to e-mail him and request to arange a pick-up by one of the taxis serving Casa Los Holandeses, from the Bus stop in Sanchez. Otherwise you have to deal on your own with a swarm of motoconcistas and "Taxi Drivers" from Sanchez, ready to take you over a 17km treacharous road, up and down a mountain at a double the price of what a decent taxi driver from Las Terrenas will charge. Did the trip once on a back of a pick-up truck(guagua) and once on a back of a Honda moto, never again...I want some steel between me and the road, just in case.
Regards,
WebDev

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
In fact, Jos asked if we wanted them to arrange to have someone pick us up in Sanchez for a very reasonable price. Works for me. One less thing to think about.

Hi HB,

Thanks for the suggestions, but renting a car is just not in the cards. My husband doesn't drive and I haven't driven in years. As I said, I think I'll leave the driving to the professionals;).

Rose

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Duh!!!!! I just realized that I should have posted this in the "general" section......:eek: I have been known to be a little slow on the uptake.

My apologies to the moderator gods. I swear it won't happen again.......really

Rose