Samana Update

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
I was in Samana this past week and wanted to check on some things for myself.

In case you were not aware, the Samana - Las Terrenas highway has apparently been completed for about a year now and is a real pleasure to drive. Makes the 50 kms or so trip quick and enjoyable. That only took what, 15 years?

Secondly, I went to El Catey airport construction site to see if anything at all is going on there. There are 3 large excavation machines at work digging out the runway. The future runway is clearly visible and runs parallel to the highway. They are digging out the weak "soil" and will fill the space with rocksl so that the runway will literally not sink. I was told by one of the engineers there that the machines have been at work for a couple of months and that they were shut down for several months - basically since the collapse of Baninter and the freezing of the IDB $150 million loan guarantee to Aerodom. I read into the conversation that Aerodom is basically going on a hunch that the IDB loan guarantee financing will eventually come through; and that in the meantime they will continue working at minimum staff and cost so that not all the time will be lost from temporary abandonment of the project to hopefully its full recommencement.

Thirdly, according to a staff member of new Bank of Nova Scotia in Nagua (they have taken over the old Baninter in Nagua and I assume they closed their former Nagua branch), they will take over Baninter in Las Tarrenas and in Samana, but will not take over Baninter Las Galeras. They expect their new branches to be open by January 2004.

Finally, I was not able to get any clear indication of what is going on with the Santo Domingo > Samana highway. I visited Las Americas Airport and could see no clear, specific evidence of where the highway begins. If someone could enlighten me as to how many kms from Santo Domingo the highway begins, then I could revisit at Christmas and confirm the status. I heard rumours that the project has been abandoned, but also from residents of Santo Domingo that they are still at work. The engineer from El Catey had no clear knowledge of the status of the highway, but he seems to have summed it up best by stating that the whole development of the region depends on the airport. One can therefore assume that if the present impasse between the IMF and the DR gov't over the repurchase of the electric companies is not bridged, thereby cancelling the loan from the IMF to the DR and consequently the loan guarantee from the IDB to Aerodom, that the El Catey airport and Santo Domingo - Samana highway projects will be cancelled for the forseeable future i.e. many, many years.

As a person with a financial stake in the Samana region, even I would accept that the IMF and IDB would be best to put the loan and loan guarantee respectively on hold until a new government is formed in the Spring of 2004 because we all know where the money will go if the present government has the money in its hands before the election; and we'll sink even lower than we thought possible.

I was very saddened to see how bad the economy is. My wife and I visited Megacentro and Diamond Mall and so many stores have shut down or are leaving. In both of those big malls on a Thursday afternoon there could not have been more than 20 shoppers visible at any one time. If that is an indication of the economy in general, then it is very bad.

It amazes me to no end how the people seem helpless in the face of corruption. And I suppose they are helpless in many ways, though they did elect this scoundrel. But it starts from the top; and it will take an extra-ordinary leader to clean up this financial mess, the result of greedy politicians enriching themselves with no regard to their own country or their fellow citizens. That's my rant for the day.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Generating Station

i forgot to add that a generating station is being built in samana to provide electricity for the surrounding region. you can see it at the top of the hill as you turn right towards las galeras. it is located upwind from samana so one would assume that most of the fumes will fly over samana, but hopefully the winds will carry the fumes north of town. a definite election gimmick.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
just elaborating...

Jasper,
Great info.! Thanks!!

Regarding the new power plant in Samana, Coastal is trasnfering the two Wartsila Barges thay have in the Rio Ozama, Santo Domingo, to the Samana Bay. I got confirmation on that information from frineds at both Wartsila Dominicana and Coastal.

The Santo Domingo-Samana highway is still in KM 4, another 100+ pending. Someday.

Aerodom has been struggling with the loan and guarantees since mid 2001. Both of their revenue generating airports are loosing passengers fast. Punta Cana is now the airport with most transit, surpasing Las Americas and POP has lost about 40% of its traffic to competing Santiago Airport. The La Isabela airport situation is still to be defined and I suspect thats why they are taking their time in the Samana-Nagua Airport.

cheers!

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
samana

hi samiam!

i read about the barge going to samana, but i just don't see it happening since it would cause disaster for tourism and it's ecology. as well, they already have at least 1 transformer installed on top of the hill, so i don't see why they would need more than 1 option. there's no industry sucking up all the electricity. maybe someone else can shed some light (!) on situation once it is clear what is going on. i certainly don't want no barge.

i need to know where samana highway starts and i will see for myself how far it goes. no one seems to know exactly where it starts on autopista las americas. i saw no clear indication when i drove to las americas airport last week.

you might be right about your last point, but i can't see pop losing 40% traffic, especially when tourism numbers have gone up. i would have thought that the pie is just bigger for everybody now. there is no struggle with the loan guarantee with idb and aerodom. it is a done deal as i have noted before. you can see for yourself on idb's website with their 2002 annual report. the financing just needs to be concluded which i have been told by aerodom will take only a few weeks once (now if) the imf agreement is signed with DR since it was practically concluded in the spring but was then put on ice due to baninter collapse. as aerodom rep told me, samana is the most asked about project for them by travel agents. aerodom knows very well that once el catey is open that it will generate alot of cash for them so i don't see the el catey - isabela connection unless of course aerodom uses govt's idiocy in this matter to back out of their contract and leave the country which i just don't see as likely since they have invested alot of money in POP and las americas and even a decent amount already el catey.

Last edited:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Nice to meet ya Jasper!!

Well, as a future resident of Samana, I am also very upset with the news about the barges. As I said before the owners, Coastal, are coordinating the movement of the barges to the Samana Bay. I can't say exactly where at the moment but I can make a couple of calls and find out and let you know in time.

I don't think the Samana highway starts so far off as San Pedro, although I could be wrong, but I thought it was starting off in Las Americas and going north, crossing Monte Plata.

Regarding El Catey, yes you are right, as a matter of fact, i've heard some of the local partners of the airport (currently involved in Cap Cana)have bought lots of land to develop an AI resort in playa Rincon. Which is a shame and a pity in my opinion, since its such a beautiful place as is. I dont want to see it turned into another punta cana. :cry:

Thanks for the Baninter info. I bought a place some land in Las Galeras and now I am wondering where will the closest bank be? Samana?

Take care Jasper!
S

slt4bags

Oct 7, 2003
Thanks for the Information!

All,

Thanks for all of the great updates on Samana. I hope that you will continue to post information as you get it. I find that the Samana/Las Terranas region could make for a viable investment opportunity in the near future if some of the things discussed come to fruition (airport, highway to Santo Domingo, hotels, etc.).

Does anyone have an idea of th cost of land around Samana and Las Terranas?

Please keep the postings coming!!

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Barges comming to Samana Bay

His baldness is coming to Samana this Saturday, October 18, to announce this crap as a solution to power shortages in Samana.

WebDev

jparra

Oct 28, 2003
Cabo Cabron National Park

Does anyone know the present status of the Cabo Cabron National Park?
I have some land in the park, and dont know if I can do anything with it, or what to do about it.
Thanks

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
See the article on Cabo Cabron National Park in the Attractions section of www.samanaonline.com You can develop land there as it is a level 5 park.

Also, the electrical facility being built atop the hill just east of Samana is not a generating plant. It is a substation for distribution for the new high voltage line being run down the north coast. It will drop the 100k+ voltage to a useable amount via huge transformers that were recently trucked into the facility.
The bald wonder was here to dedicate that and not put barges into Samana Bay. Samana has suficient generation capacity for at least half or more of the peninsula with the 4 generators at the airport. However, it seems there isn't any diesel fuel to run the generators.

jparra

Oct 28, 2003
Cabo Cabron National Park

Thanks for the link. Very interesting.
What exactly does level 5 mean? I know private ownership is allowed (as I own land there) but don't know much more. I have been told nothing can be done there.
again, thanks

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
As a level 5 park, limited use and development of your property is allowed. Also, when you want to build you must have your plans approved by the national Parks ministry in addition to all local approvals. At the time you want to do this, I suggest you have both a good architect to design and submit your plans and a lawyer who is familiar with the process in dealing with the Parks ministry.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
You have to contact the Minister of Parks in Santo Domingo. Again, have a lawyer or an architect do this for you. I have a friend that has over 200 acres in the park from the Cano Frio up and a sizeable chunk of property at the tip of Cape Samana including part of Playa Fronton. He has been dealing with them for 3 years now trying to get things approved.