Check Cards?

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if Banks in the DR offer Check Cards? For those that don't know Check Cards are just like credit cards except that the money you use to make purchases comes straight out of your back account and they don't charge any interest. My question is do banks in the DR charge a fee for having one and how easy is it to get one? The two banks that I deal with here in the US both gave me Check cards when I requested them. One doesn't charge anything for it and the other on charged me a onetime feel of US$15 dollars for some bs. By the way how safe is it to use plastic over there? I remember reading an article that said that credit card fraud was on the rise. Thank for any help.

Ramon

PhMB

Sep 30, 2003
of course debit cards exist

of course , debit cards exist here , you can't purchase or withdraw money if you have not the money on your account

no charge , no interest , Banco del progreso

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Are they safe to use? Like I said I read in the archives that there was a problem with people stealing the numbers and using them.

gar598

Jan 17, 2003
I have never had any problems with using my debit/check card, for the record. I probably overused it, on my trip. Those pesos really go fast. Also, typically, your credit card company allows you to use your credit card as a debit card (e.g. to withdraw cash).