Any one stayed at the Tropical Lodge in Samana?

Little_Monkey

Sep 2, 2002
Hey everyone... I was curious if anyone has stayed at Tropical Lodge in Samana, or knows anything about it.

I have done some searching and found a few posts on this hotel. Some negative and some positive....

I will be there in Jan and want to make sure I have made a good choice.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
...the little monkey ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have stayed there a number of times and know the owners very well from having lived in Samana for many years.

The hotel is located in town of Samana in easy walking distance from center of town. Overlooks the Bay of Samana and the harbor. For anyone staying in town, this is where I recommend.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I stayed there with my family last July. We liked it just fine, particularly the view of the Bay (the hotel is right on the wonderful Malecon of Saman?). The only "negative" we found -- a minor one, as far as we were concerned -- was that the hotel breakfast was poor. But since it was not included in our hotel price, we simply went down the street to Camilo's restaurant and had an excellent one there. The hotel rooms are fine, especially for the price. Nothing fancy, but clean & comfortable.
Best regards,
Keith

abe

Jan 2, 2002
one thing to look out for

On my one and only trip to Samana a few years ago, I was told to go to this hotel and as I was walking up the steps to the lobby, someone official looking emerged.

I asked about a room and he very efficiently marched me up the long driveway to the building at the top of the hill, checked me in and took my money.

The place was a dump and I thought that I had been misinformed about Tropical.

Turns out that this guy had simply brazenly pirated me away from the very lobby of Tropical and stole me away to a different hotel.

I found out later that day what the real story was, bounded back up the hill, expressed my displeasure as only a very big guy can, and got my money back.

I checked into the real Tropical and had a nice room and a lovely moonlight swim. If it's the same French manager/owners, tres bien. Bon prix et tres propre. Good price and clean.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Same owners, abe

The hotel that tried to steal your business is up the driveway that runs alongside the real Tropical Lodge. The entrance to Tropical Lodge is up a couple of steps from the sidewalk. As you face the hotel, the the restaurant is to the immediate left and connected to the hotel. Just to the left of the hotel is a small pizza bar that is also run by the hotel.

Remember, if you go up the driveway you are being "kidnapped".