What is wrong with Santiago???

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
AZB give us a report on Santiago. All we hear here in SDGO is that the town is going down the tubes. The streets are in total desrepair, there is talk of earthquakes every day, no water, no electricity, crime is rampant, the streets are burning in nearby localities like Navarrete, Licey Al Medio, Tamboril, transportation is a mess, AMET and taxi cabs, conchos and motoconchistas are fighting each other everyday, real bullets are flying in riots. About the only thing holding its own is Trujillo's monument, even with jevitos drugging themselves to a stupor.

Tell us AZB, is the devil living in Santiago. When is doomsdays coming. Religious fanatics are creating panic in the streets. Whats going on? Even the new airport has problems.

TW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB reporting live from santiago city.

There are no lights at all in santiago. Often blackouts are so long that we get electric around 5-6 hours / day. Many business are hurting becuase without lights, the premises are left without a/c thus people don't come. Francifol cafe always hurt the hardest as there is no a/c (during blackout) in the packed tiny bar. The people scatter away to other places. But now with the bad economy, only a few places are managing to survive. Boomerang disco is closing down half of the hall with curtians to make the place seem full. Even the ultimate chopo disco "Ambis" is empty almost everyday of the week and weekends included. No lights mean less business and more fuel costs to keep the generators running. Now that the generators are running 12 hrs per day, they are breaking don't like crazy. there isn't a reliable technician to be found to repair the machines. My friend's bar "F8" in los jardines is in serious trouble. he claims if things don't turn around soon, he would have to shut it down indefinitely. The only bars / discos which are in business are privately owned places where the owners don't have to pay rent, meaning they own the place and often work with the workers to keep the expenses down. Its a common site to see the owner of Pop's bar breaking his bottoms working as a bartender and a cashier at the same time to same money.

Cabrerra motors on bartelome colon is either out of business or relocated. No one is buying any new cars and the inventory is collecting dust. The new hospital "HOMS" is put to a complete halt. The construction has stopped and all the doctors who have invested money in offices are stuck forever. many had taken out loans in hopes to secure a place in the gold mine and now stuck paying high interest without hopes to have the construction restarted anytime in the near future. God help them all.

I have not seen the riots in the santiago city but I have seen burned tire ruins in barrios scattered all around santiago. The road to Licey is often the prime target for riots and stone throwing / gun shooting huelgas. I stay away from there.

There is no movements in the streets anywhere as people are forever fearful of these constant nagging earthquakes. Many are afraid of the big one that is about to strike. That is the word in the street.

Neighborhoods are pitch dark at night as most inverters are all discharged from lack of electricity. People are just afraid in general and unsure of the future. Many businesses are simply getting by and many can't afford to pay their expenses and owe money. I am trying to get money out of a big company and they don't even have 4 thousand pesos in their account to cash my check. I saw the owner and he clearly looked sad and worried. I understand his situation because I know he is in deep sh*T. He may lose everything he owns.

Used SUVs are being sold for very attractive prices as many people just can't seem to afford the gasoline consumption. I was just offered a nice montero at a very attractive price but I am not stupid, I know the gasoline will reach 80 pesos / gallon soon. I will stick with buying a used camry.

Even Gold's gym is hurting. Many people who were regulars are not showing up as many people refuse to pay the 900 pesos / month fees. It used to be 6oo pesos, then 700 pesos and now jumped to 900 pesos / month.

There are alot of rich acting Jevitos in santiago who don't even have the money to pay for the gasoline in their polished cars. Many people are simply bankrupt and others are hanging by the thread. Many people prefer to go to colmadons and colmados to buy beers and prefer to sit in their front porch and blast music and party cheap. Many young folks are gathering in the gas stations with convenient stores and display their cheap sports cars and drinking beers and blasting boomboxes. Many disocs who used to allow only certain types of people in to maintain their image are allowing chopos to invade their places just to get enough business to stay afloat. now its a common sight to see dom-york and chopos with huge chains and gangster style baggy jeans in places like Tribecca cafe.

Santiago was going down hill a long time ago but now it seems it has gone to hell.

P.S. Lights have just come back on in my office since last night. Its 3:25pm in the afternoon.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I was in Santiago about a month and a half ago and remember that every restaurant I ate at was empty.

When I say empty, I mean empty as in my party and I were the only ones there (except for employees).

I had this great conversation with this older man who is a waiter at Pez Dorado. We discussed the current situation in Santiago. What he said to me that sticks in my mind is " mi hijo, es que la cosa esta muy mala. no hay luz, los pobre mas pobre, y el gobierno robando a do mano"

I hope things change in santiago and in DR for that matter.

:(

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Pez Dorado? hahahaha, I mean who can afford pez dorado now-a-days except for visiting tourists like Cmedina with the hard green currency. Santiagueros (majority) wouldn't even go near pez dorado or maroma unless someone is treating them. Hey Cmedina why didn't you invite me to pez, you turkey, you think I am not fit for that place? Is that why you invited me to Ahi-bar? Now I know my value, come to think of it, I am almost glad you came late in town.

Pez dorado and maroma and other expensive places have their own fixed clients but even they are hurting as many rich folks are also cutting down on luxury expenses.
I remember, we used to go to gran almirante on thrusdays and wednesdays to eat their special dinners and often go to other fancy restaurants to eat out, but....no more. Now I only go to ahi-bar to eat my favorite steak and watch the girls in sexy clothes. I have lost almost all of my wives, even stupid ones who used to worship me. The barrio girls are all taken over by dom-yorks in their jeepetas and the rest are going out with old wealthy guys. Life sucks in santiago and I am left womanless. :(

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
you are too funny.

I would have more than welcomed you there and you know that.

by the way, you were the one that suggested ahi-bar.

maybe next time you will not visit these crazy barrios and your car will not be broken into and then we will finally hang out.

as far as womanless..i know you are lying. your middle name is Casanova..the famous love doctor from Santiago.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The word on the street

The word on the street here in Puerto Plata is that Santiago and Pto.Pta. are going to be swallowed into the sea as soon as the next big earthquake comes.........Three Dominicans told me that Hippo has been warned by the Japanese to evacuate Santiago and Puerto Plata before its to late! ( they told me they saw this reported on channel 38 local news)

I tell these people that earthquakes can not be predicted.......however they just want to believe the word on the street.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Azb is exaggerating about having no wives left. I saw one last month and she was not bad at all.

Azb, what was that place we had the filet mignon in? Was that Ahi-Bar? Wherever it was, that place had really good filet mignon.

When I was there last month, Santiago seemed really dead. The only place where people seemed to be having a good time was around the monument where young chopos were drinking and blasting music in blatant disrespect to the beautiful monument and anyone within earshot. Such a shame.
Larry

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Larry, that was ahi-bar where we had the delicious steak. I am addicted to that fillet mignon, I eat there 2-3 times a week. I can't seem to lose weight if I keep up with this red meat consumption. Now-a-days with constant rains and daily irregular earthquakes, no one is going out or eating out. Restaurants are empty and bars have only 3-5 people at anytime. The blackouts force the a/c units to shut down and the heat and sweat drive people to other places ex: monumento. Now it seems the chopo places are becoming more popular ex: monumento, colmadons and street (sidewalk) chopo bars where you can buy cheep beer and listen to chopo typico music. The street venders are quite popular too as people prefer to eat on street corners rather than in restaurants. Everyone seem to have their own favorite spot picked out.
Larry, even that cutie that you have seen has not seen me in over a week. I have a feeling she has lost interest in me. I am really without women and haven't done the wild thing in over a week. Thats a long time considering even the motoconchos are getting a piece in carwashes. No wonder dominicans are such non-violent folks, even in tough economical times like these, they always seem to get action with multiple young partners. Even if you are broke and ugly as a gorilla, you still get action as opposed to USA where guys go without a date (let alone sex) for years.
Today I will go to F8 bar to see the game and have a plate of picaderas and some cuba-libres (barcelo imperial con 7up y limon). Yeah yeah, I am a chopo, I drink barcelo imperial with 7up so save your comments. Would I get lucky? You never know in santiago.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago

For the pas 8 or 9 days Santiago has been the victim of horrific blackouts, unlike anything we have seen in the past twenty years.
Puerto Plata I and II are down and Smith Enron is turned off. That is nearly 300 MW of power we don';t have.

there is no clear solution.

As I posted elsewhere, the streets of Santiago are deserted and I can agree with what AZB said about the bars and restaurants.

As for the neighboring smaller towns, they are hotbeds of protests, since the PRD doesn't pay them off as regularly as the PLD....And they are better armed than the Police.

the earthquakes are certainly playing on everyone's mind. It is topic number one for conversations, but there are few people who know what they are talking about. Tectonic plates, subduction and so forth are not part of the normal vocabulary. We had two good ones last night and early this morning (3:00 a.m.?)

A lot might have to do with prices and the feeling of total helplessness that is pervading the entire society, provoking a "so what?" feeling amongst the masses. Special insecticides I used to purchase for RD$80 are now RD$164. Pork filet used to be RD$30/lb and is now RD$76/lb. Pricing has now caught up to the devaluation and nobody is drowning in cash. Folks are just plain fed up..

But I do think we will muggle through, eventually. People are still working, still trying..can't ask for too much more than that.

HB

NB: Yes, I know 'muggle' is not a real word except for Harry Potter....

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
How is the city in terms of the trash being collected?
Las time I went it seemed pretty dirty. That was about a year or so ago.

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
Thanks for the update!

Hey, Thanks for the update in Santiago...........
Here's an idea for you...........if your bored..........
I would love if you could write an "Santiago" weekly update on the what and where's of the city......even if it's bad........even if it's a line or two..........

Just like to hear some news from my beloved city........

thanks again!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
carcol, why not drop us a visit in santiago and do bring some green notes to lighten-up the economy.

Update: hot as hell and no lights. I am learning how to shut off inverter and conserve electricity when I am not home.

Prices are going up and there is a romour rice will be 15 pesos/ pound soon. Already the prices of everything are reflecting the devaluation dollar/peso exchange rate. I predict there would be seruous riots in the near future.

The rich are comfortably rich as they have already made their money and a name through the businesses they own. I had the priviledge of spending a day in a campo house. I mean the freakin place was a mansion in the midst of a damn campo. Not far away from santiago. The gate was opened up by a servent and we had to drive atleast 1/4 km to reach the actual mansion. We entered and greeted by the host. Then we were taken straight back into the swimming pool area and a huge recreational area with pool tables. All kinds of drinks and fruits were set on the tables. I ventured in to the huge field of fruit trees in the back. I mean you could get lost in there. I took in a bag full of avacados (aguacate), ate a few oranges and then took a machete and cut open a few coconuts and drank the water straight from the fruit. Then we all jumped in the pool and swam all day. We all were there with a young cutie each. It was a day in paradise and certainly away from all the problems this country is going through at the moment.
Believe me, the rich are filthy rich in DR and live far better than any average millionaire in USA.

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
believe me AZB, I would love to be there now.....Unfortunately, can't make alot of contributions since I am not rich(but believe me if I ever do win the lottery, my money is going straight to DR)......I was there early Sept. and even thought I brought money to spend, I couldn't because my family there (who are not rich but hard working-genorous people with good jobs) would not let me pay for anything, so I end up giving a lot of money away to kids who would come up to the car when I drove around the city......It is unfortunate that nothing has improved in the city since I left it in 1990. My mother is planning on moving there, which I would love for her to go since she would be so much happier there than the cold New Jersey BUT it will be hard to support her, since she probably won't have a job. She is there now, trying to sell some old land she has and she is suppossed to bring back a detail amount of money it would take for her to live there. That way we can determine if we (my brother, sister and I) can support her while we work here in NY/NJ................

as always, thanks for the update Pal!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Just want to remind you all that the Bars and Restaurants in Sosua and Cabarete are doing just fine. Not only that but you can find a beach to go to that you can even swim in.

Men are not doing without women on the North Coast and fun is being had by all.

Hasn't anyone heard? Tourism is on the upswing so I am told.

Escott

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Tourism for the North Coast is looking very good. There are new charters coming in starting in November, mainly Apple Vacations (Punta Cana is booked up completely for the winter season) is going to bring 5-6 flights per week, plus the MyTravel group (Canadian business like Signature/Sunquest), not to be confused with the MarkTravel group, who will be bringing in people from Chicago, Cleveland, Colorado, and cities in the mid-west US.

Punta Cana and LaRomana are already full, the spill-over will come into the PoP area.

Sorry to hear about Santiago, it does sound like hell on earth.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
AZB and others

Thanks for the Santiago update. As bad as we are here in Santo Domingo, I would not want to be in your shoes or our PP friends shoes.

My cousin, retired General Freddy P. Gomez invited me last week during my birthday to come over to Santiago and have a few drinks. He lives in an apartment complex by Avenida Circumvalacion right across Hoyo De Lima. I had to turn him down for the moment and postponed my visit for better times.

I sure dont want to be in a ghost town or an imitation Dodge City. We got enough bullets flying by here, but at least the action has not totally stopped.

TW