La Romana,Bayahibe,Viva Dominicus Palace ? The area? Things to do?

barbchuck

Oct 14, 2003
Hello,

I am enjoying this site immensely!
I have allready learned so much about the country, what to expect etc...

My more specific questions would be,
How is the area of La Romana?
Is it upscale? If not where do we drive to see some beautiful homes? I am a builder/realtor. We love to see the Extreme homes everywhere we travel.

Is there any escape ,easily, from the touristy all inclusive resort-like activities?
We will have a car for the week.
We do plan to leave the resort and eat elsewhere and see the Country.
Can anyone suggest, hidden beautiful sites, beaches, landscapes, scenic drives?
I am a cliff jumper. Are there any safe places to JUMP off , where natives can assist me?
Are there any Bars? Pubs? Local hangouts where middle to upper class natives hang out?
Or,
Are there any Routes to take and see how the average people live and feel the hospitality of the DR, experience the culture, eat traditional foods, buy cheap beer and souveniers..?

We do not want to get sick, should we avoid eating outside of our resort? if we do get sick, are there any antibiotics we should look for to treat the bacteria in our tummies? What are the medicines called? We have had to ask the Pharmacia in Mexico, Puerto Rico and other islands for a cure...

We have allready gotten the hints from this site on how to drive carefully, be safe, avoid Putas? and Sankies?
We are aware of earthquakes, storms, certain Pests(spiders/roaches) and in general we have a good feel for what to expect.

If there are any other comments, suggestions for us, so that we may have the best possible 1 week vacation in the DR(1st time)
Please reply. Coming on November 8th.

Thank you,

Barbara

amalina

Aug 8, 2003
La Romana/Bayahibe

Recently went to this area and really enjoyed it. The beaches are beautiful white sand and calm. We stayed at the Iberostar and although a beautiful new all inclusive, the all inclusive does not allow you to really see the area.
Definitely take a boat to Isla Saona and go to the National Parque and enjoy the beauty. The boat trip is peaceful and the scenery is beautiful. If you want to see beautiful homes you should go into La Romana to Casa de Campo. We went and there are beautiful mansions although I was not so interested in staying there too long. Visit Altos de Chavon and the Chavon River. There are beautiful cobblestone streets, churches, restaurants and a nice ampitheater. Definitely an upscale tourist area if this is what you are looking for.
My favorite place however was the fishing village of Bayahibe. Great food, hospitable friendly people. Truly a good experience of the Dominican Republic. I fell in love with the place and enjoyed meeting many Dominican people. I am able to speak in both and English and Spanish so it made it easy as some people in our hotel thought this charming fishing village was"horrible...no roads, no one speaks English etc." I am not sure how you would find the experience if you are not able to speak Spanish as I found many of the people did not speak or understand English. Regardless, the experience is worthwhile and you can ask for a cab driver/guide who is bilingual to help you if you need someone to translate on your behalf.
Hope that this helps.

barbchuck

Oct 14, 2003
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Super information.
We will have a car for the week.
My husband is playing golf 2 days at Casa de Campo, Maybe I will join him for 1 day and sight see while he plays or use their facilities.
YES! we build luxury homes, so looking at mansions is just my cup of tea!
Sounds like Ra Romana will be what we enjoy as well.
As far as Bayahibe, YES! we will take in some of the culture and simple life to relax and enjoy!
I am looking forward to the beaches near our resort, I hear they are real nice.

Thank you,

Barb