The Wrong Side of the River

Kitty

Oct 21, 2003
The east side of the city where my family has grown up has almost been forgotten when development is considered and given a bad reputation that is no always deserved.

Now, as someone who crosses the river each day to work I am faced with the continued traffic delays of using one of the city's landmarks - Puente Duarte.

It is a shame that this bridge has been a problem for so long and nobody seems to care especially when you here about such great ideas as the new highway from La Romana heading east......who does that benefit?, not me. Instead of these fancy schemes the things that have the most benefit to the maximum number of people should come first.

Are we going to give up on every project that benefits the working class people especially as there are rumours that the bridge will close very soon as it is dangerous.

let me know if you are a frustrated traveller

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
6 years ago I wanted to buy a house in "Alma Rosa",but didn't!

I work in "La Fe",and no way did I want to fight that trafic twice a day!!Things are better with the new bridge,but I still wouldn't go to the "Zona Oriental"! I bought in "Las Colinas de Arroyo Hondo" and get to work in 5 minutes! Cris Colon

Apr 26, 2002
I thought that Sans Souci was going to become the next "in" place. Something about moving the naval base and replacing it with tourist attractions. What happened?

Never mind. I know what happened. President Pimplelito.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: 6 years ago I wanted to buy a house in "Alma Rosa",but didn't!

Criss Colon said:
I bought in "Las Colinas de Arroyo Hondo" and get to work in 5 minutes! Cris Colon

Is that near Arroyo Hondo III? I've seen some nice houses around there. Wonder what they are asking for per square meter.

Anyhoo, "the other side of the river' or la Zona Oriental has the most active economy in the city. Most of what you find on this side can be found in that area. There are some stores and businesses that have not crossed the gap yet, like the upper class type of stores and restaurants but the residents of la zona oriental will just re-invent those in their own way when the time comes.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Plenty of cash floating about on the other side! As you say, lots of good shopping to be had as well. Always think it's much more fun and real on the other side.

I know plenty of people that wouldn't be caught dead in "Zona Oriental".

Maybe I'm mixing with the wrong people... :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
6 years ago I looked at "Lots" on Charles DeGaul.

They were 300 pesos a sq.meter! Trees,back from the road! Perfect! Except that it would take me somewhare between a half an hour,and an hour and a half(depending of weather,and trafic! "When it rains here,Dominicans can't walk,and barely know how to drive!")to get to work,or to home!

Now I wan't to retire to Sosua,and forget about the Trafic here! Cris Colon

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: 6 years ago I looked at "Lots" on Charles DeGaul.

Criss Colon said:
"When it rains here,Dominicans can't walk,and barely know how to drive!"

This pisses the hell out of me. A little sprinkle and everyone drives at 20Km/H. What the hell is the matter, are they afraid to get their tires wet?!!!!:mad:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: Re: 6 years ago I looked at "Lots" on Charles DeGaul.

[B]samiam[/B] said:
This pisses the hell out of me. A little sprinkle and everyone drives at 20Km/H. What the hell is the matter, are they afraid to get their tires wet?!!!!:mad:
I'll tell you why: potholes, manholes, cracks on the roads, speed bumps. All covered with water and invisible even in daylight. Do you want to drive through one at 60+ KMPH? I do not. It cost me a tire once.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Pib,

Good answer. I probably had a bit of 'left over road rage' when I posted. It took me about an hour to get home today.

Hey, did anyone feel the earth shaque around 6pm?

Kitty

Oct 21, 2003
Well it looks like the "Zona Oriental" does not matter to most people and that is a pity.

It probably will not matter now when the Duarte Bridge closes or should I say collapses. Did anyone see the article in El Caribe?

We all better save our money for increased taxi fares and take food for the long trips home in the evening.