Chiri on permanent residency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A couple of weeks ago I posted that I had been given my permanent residency card, in the 'Dominican work ethic' thread, because of the dire bureaucratic ordeal involved.

Ken looked into his crystal ball and predicted that when I went to the JCE to get my cedula I would be confronted by the following scene:

"you will find yourself in a small room with about 8 employees sitting behind tables lined up along the walls. And that only one of these employees will really working. Most of the rest won't even be going through the motions"

Good thing I didn't cross your palm with silver, Ken! I certainly did find myself in a small room. There were about five employees, but hardly anyone was waiting to be processed, so I was seen to immediately. So far, so good.

BUT! Se fue la luz! BUT! Hay problemas con la planta! Oh no, just when I thought I was going to have a positive bureaucratic experience, fate intervenes. We all sat around in the gloom, waiting for the generator to be switched on.

You could not really blame the employees taking the opportunity to chat and gossip and eat their mid-morning snacks. In fact it was quite a generous use of their time, I thought. It would have been more annoying had they waited for the power and the air conditioning to come back before officially declaring their mid-morning break.

Eventually, the generator kicked in. I sat in front of the camera. Just as I was told to look into the lens - crash! The power went again. This sequence of events repeated itself no less than three times. But by midday I had my cedula de reidente permanente, valid until 2009.

Tonight as I celebrate this milestone, I'll consider the next logical step in the process, which is to become a citizen. The words of my first (Dominican) boss echo in my ears: "Ser Dominicano/a es muy chevere, pero no sirve para nada".

Chiri

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Congratulation Chiri! That is awesome and a great story for all those interested in obtaining it as well. Best of luck in everything!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chiri, power on or power off makes no difference. Most of those employees spend most of the time chatting, reading magazines, etc.

Even when there are people waiting, the only one really working is the one at the computer who takes your picture and fills out the form.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Funny, we were in the same room at the same time trying to get our permanent residency about 4 months ago. I got mine that day.

When I got my temp residency a year before I had a lunch date with Cris Colon. Well it wasn't meant to be. After waiting and waiting (and paying and paying) I finally got my card. Only problem was that they spelled my name wrong. Well no power outage but the Laminating machine broke. I didn't get finished correcting what they screwed up on till 5pm. Lucky I didn't have to stay another day because of a mispelled name.

Viva La Republica Dominicana!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Scott, it was well over four months ago, more like five or six. At the time I was sort of thinking on the lines of going through the process by the book, without using lawyers, intermediaries or friends in high places, just to see if it could actually be done. The residency was actually approved some time in July or August, but I was away from the DR until the end of September so that's why I did not get it until now. The lesson is, it is not always pleasant, but it can be done.

If anyone needs specific advice, feel free to send me a PM.

e.g. Take a good book with you while sitting in the waiting area at Migracion.

Chiri

pagoda

Aug 4, 2007
Can you please tell me exactly the steps that you took to obtain the Cedula Card. How much did it cost?

I am amazed that you did not involve any middle persons in this endeavor

Thanks
Pagoda

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Use the search function on this board, your question has been covered many times.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.