Status
Not open for further replies.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
What Planet Again? (Are You From)

oakofarit said:
Are both monogamy and polygamy legal in D.R.?:alien:

Here on earth, monogamy is defined as having one wife at a time. What country do you know of that disallows marriage at all?

And polygamy is illegal and really stupid - if you've been married, one is often too many.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
In all seriousness

The DR is a Catholic Country!

Polygomy is Illegal.

Monogamy on the other hand...........I suggest you go to the Venus and mars fourm and learn for yourself.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe he's or she's a Mormon from Colorado City?

I understand that there is a sect of the Later Day Saints still practicing poligamy out there...

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Maybe he's or she's a Mormon from Colorado City?

Hillbilly said:
I understand that there is a sect of the Later Day Saints still practicing poligamy out there...

HB

And in Colorado and in Canada. Still the question about the legality of monogamy was pretty ridiculous.

oakofarit

Oct 23, 2003
Re: What Planet Again? (Are You From)

ricktoronto said:
Here on earth, monogamy is defined as having one wife at a time. What country do you know of that disallows marriage at all?

And polygamy is illegal and really stupid - if you've been married, one is often too many.

Yep it did look a little ridiculous bout the monogamy thing.
As far as the planet ...it's too far away but the closest pronunciation is Sinar, a few galaxies over towards the furthest part of the north.
By the way...polygamy is practiced legally in over 80 percent of the world societies on this particular planet.
You people on Earth still have a lot of pain to get rid of.
You know, like adultery, honesty, fear, jeleaousy, prostitution oh not to mention divorce...the big "D".
It's definition is lack of ability to respond to the duties of a contract all the way. Not keeping one's word.
That is the social Report of our society today...very modern I presume.

oakofarit

Oct 23, 2003
Polygamy

OK, OK, OK, wow...what happened out there?
All of a sudden I feel very airy...like I'm shot full of holes.
Lo and behold I looked in the mirror and sure enough
I looked like swiss cheese!!!
Doesn't anybody know that monogamy was
imposed by the Roman Catholic Church?
Certainly not God Almighty.
It's a ploy all of us have been swallowing ever since
the Greeks under Alexander the Great, are the ones
who started all this.
Don't you guys know this is a Greco-Roman system
we live under?
Come on guys get your head out of the hole in the ground.
What would you rather do, lie or tell the truth about your personal life, to your wife?
Oh well, hope somebody out there is exercising the bigger of the two heads we have cause if we are not...we men are not going to see it coming and miss out out on a lot of beautiful sex.
What a shame...what a shame.
This is really getting close to a spiritual steak here.
My apologies, I thought I was entering an intelligent forum here
about worthwhile subjects in DR...like beautiful ladies...wich we do have by the way.
Love, wealth and health to all.
Ciao

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Re: Polygamy

oakofarit said:
All of a sudden I feel very airy...like I'm shot full of holes.
Lo and behold I looked in the mirror and sure enough
I looked like swiss cheese!!!
Come on guys get your head out of the hole in the ground.
What would you rather do, lie or tell the truth about your personal life, to your wife?
Oh well, hope somebody out there is exercising the bigger of the two heads we have cause if we are not...we men are not going to see it coming and miss out out on a lot of beautiful sex.
What a shame...what a shame.
This is really getting close to a spiritual steak here.
My apologies, I thought I was entering an intelligent forum here
about worthwhile subjects in DR...like beautiful ladies...wich we do have by the way.
Love, wealth and health to all.
Ciao

OK..What are you trying to say Swiss Cheesey one...Have you not gathered enough info from DR1 to know that Monogamy is not the strongest belief these people have in the DR1 threads.. Polygamy would be too much work as most complain about their one and only wife..As for thinking with your "head" I did not get your meaning in that statement....but I have but one head so maybe I would not understand..:) Most would rather lie to their wife from what I gather....PAM

oakofarit

Oct 23, 2003
There is somebody out there with rare special understanding, I m glad I didn't loose hope in humanity just yet
You know...come to think of it, my grandmother told me that I was brought up on goat milk. Brings back naturally sweet and warm memories.
Now that you point it out (cause Im a slow learner, but once I got it, I got it) there is a sliver of double standards in this forum.
Where I come from we do have a two headed creature but that's as far as I will go here.
Touche' to you Pam

Rafael
:alien:

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
yeah........

Good for your grandmother..she is a wise woman. :) .....I know of a few double standards on DR1 myself..You are new to this BS....stick around but make sure you have WAIST High waders for this stuff...it gets deep! Where are you? In the DR? Where? :) PAM

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I heard a rumor that in the south of the country there is a custom of men sometimes having more than 1 wife. I'm sure these are not legal marriages, just kind of a live-in multiple girlfriend arrangement. I've been in similar situations myself, (never for very long - certainly not long enough to be considered a "marriage" by ANY definition) I cannot imagine Dominican women doing this though, unless it's a really big house, so big that maybe the women are unaware of each other. Of course, the same guy told me he had "evidence" that a number of Puerto Rican women and horses had been impregnated by space aliens.

Anybody know if that's true? (not the part about the aliens, I KNOW that's true)

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Legal Marriage...

Seems the legality of a marriage is not too important to DOminicans..My father in law was with my mother in law about 40 years or so until he died 1992.. they never married..While he was with her he father several kids by other women..I do not understand it but it seems the norm to them..
My husband just found out he has two 1/2 sisters that are teen aged girls from his father with some one when he was in his late 70's I believe...His mother was with him the whole time...He died in 1992...they just told my husband last month about the girls...Weird but may just be their culture...I do think the women put up with alot from the men so maybe two women in one house is not unheard of...
I know Middle Eastern men that have more than one wife have to give each wife the same items, ie: one gets a new dress the other gets a new dress etc..That is why only the wealthy have two wives..:) PAM

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
They don't all live in one house, like a harem.

Women have kids with different men, it happens all over the world.

Some men acknowledge their kids, some don't. That's why there are brothers/sisters who don't know they are related.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The practice of quasi polygamous 'parallel families' is still alive and well in the Dominican Republic, but I get the impression that it is not as widespread as it used to be.

We had a great uncle of my husbands staying with us some time ago, and he spoke about his parents' set up. He is in his 70s and was the youngest of a huge family, so we are talking early 20th century here. His father had two 'wives' - whether he was legally married to either nobody knows, or cares - and they lived next door to each other and the entire set-up was completely open. The two women got on OK, apparently.

I know several men of my generation (30s and 40s) who have children by other women, some openly, some covertly. The case I know best is a friend who has not divorced his original wife, and still spends some time with her, but has a younger family with a younger woman. This second family is his main emotional focus but he is still committed financially to his first wife and daughter. Both women accept the arrangement and look after each other's kids when necessary, but don't have anything to do with each other. In effect, this man has a first wife and a second wife. The only difference is he is not divorced from the first one and still maintains some sort of relationship with her.

It's not really about legality, it's more about what society here - and the women concerned - are prepared to tolerate.

Chiri

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
And what they are willing to tolerate seems to be mostly financially motivated.

I had a big argument with my Dominican wife and the subject of a split up came up, she didn't seem too upset about seperating untill I mentioned I wasn't going to pay her rent if we weren't together anymore.

So she decided it was worth it to make up and try to live together peacefully. The impression I was left with from the whole affair though is that she didn't care what I did as long as I still paid her bills.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Chirimoya said:
It's not really about legality, it's more about what society here - and the women concerned - are prepared to tolerate.

Society does not tolerate such a thing, women for some reason do. And not all women, mind you, I'd say it takes a special kind of woman to put up with something like that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Forbeca, how do you mean, society does not tolerate? In theory it may not, but there is very little of the theory about how people should behave (meaning the law, religious rules or other moral guidelines) that is applied in practice!

It is not really frowned upon as far as I can see. People mention these situations as fait accomplis. The men concerned are not ostracised, the one I mentioned even took the children from his second union into a church to have them baptised, no one batted an eyelid. Public figures (like a certain late ex-President) are known to have 'ni?os en la calle' and no one is scandalised.

I think Mr Mike was nearer the point: the women who put up with this are women who have few choices. Women who have the potential for financial independence are less likely to be tolerant of such situations. Of course, there are always some who stick with their men for other reasons, but I think the main determining factor is economic.

Chiri

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.