Taxi fare from Punta Cana to Boca Chica

Amanda Jade

Aug 2, 2003
Hello, I hope somebody can help me. A friend and I are coming to DR in December, from England. We are flying into Punta Cana airport, and staying at the Coral Hamaca, in Boca Chica. What is a reasonable fare to expect, if we go from Punta Cana airport to Boca Chica, by taxi?? Thank you in anticipation.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
Taxi Fare Round Trip Punta Cana to Boca Chica

$120.00 US Round trip. See Link and Taxi Fare Posting.You might have to bargain because you will make separate trips. If you can fly into La Romana it is much closer and less hassle. Check with Hotel Hamaca, They may have shuttle service.

http://www.bocachicabeach.net/transport.html

You'll have a great time there
fgu

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Out of Curiosity

Amanda Jade said:
Hello, I hope somebody can help me. A friend and I are coming to DR in December, from England. We are flying into Punta Cana airport, and staying at the Coral Hamaca, in Boca Chica. What is a reasonable fare to expect, if we go from Punta Cana airport to Boca Chica, by taxi?? Thank you in anticipation.

Since SDQ airport is 10 Km away and La Romana about 60, what made you buy a flight to Punta Cana which must be 200 Km + away from Boca Chica? I assume a charter flight in which case you'd hope they have arranged ground transfers.

I think $60 one way/ $120 R/T is a light estimate but maybe it is correct. Plan to pay more.

Amanda Jade

Aug 2, 2003
Thank you very much for your prompt replies. This will be our 4th time in Boca Chica and 3rd time staying at the Coral Hamaca. We love the hotel so much and have so many friends in Boca Chica.

Every time we have come to Boca Chica in the past, we have booked through a travel agent in England, and flew into either Santo Domingo or La Romana. But, now all of the travel companies in England are stopping going to the Hamaca, and concentrating on the hotels in Punta Cana and on the north coast, which is a shame, because Boca Chica is such a great place to stay. Therefore, we have had to book our flight and hotel separately, which did work out cheaper, because we opted for the self-catering option at the Hamaca. This seemed the most sensible thing to do, since we eat out of the hotel a lot and go outside the hotel most evenings.

Anyway, the only chartered flights we could get from England were to Punta Cana or Puerto Plata. Therefore, we opted for Punta Cana, which was half the price of a scheduled flight, with which we would have had to change in the US anyway. So, now we have to make our own way to Boca Chica, and a taxi seems the most convenient.

Thank you again for the replies, we will budget at least US$120 for the taxi fare. I'll let you know how much it actually costs, depending on our negotiating skills on the day!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Double the budget ( assuming you want to go home)

That post directing you to the bocachicabeach.net site shows the current sign in Boca Chica, that's $120 US one-way not round trip so you will need $240 for one car, return and about 4 hours to kill.

They used to charge in pesos , not any more.

Hopefully you are not arriving at an odd hour as to limit the interest of drivers in the trip. I thought it sounded a little light at $120 return.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The price by taxi Punta Cana to Boca Chica is going to be around US$100. Enjoy your visit and Regards, PJT

Beron Taxi (809) 552-1013, a local taxi, located at the Beron Crossroads. 5-6 km from airport

Siutratural, the tourist taxi sindicate, (809) 221-2741, has taxis stationed at the airport

Links:

Rafael Silva @ www.dominicantaxi.com

Amanda Jade

Aug 2, 2003
Thank you for all the replies. They are most helpful, since I did not have any idea what fare to expect.

We arrive on a Sunday, at 3pm in the afternoon, providing that there are no delays. Do you think that it would be a problem getting a bus at this time on a Sunday? Would I get a taxi to the nearest bus station, get a bus to Higuey, and then change to get to Boca Chica?? I know that this would be very cheap, but do you think that we may encounter some problems, especially since our Spanish isn't too good?? Also, does it take about the same time by bus, as it would by car, or is it a lot longer??

If we do opt to take a taxi, Rafael Silva seems to be the cheapest - US$100 each way. Should I book with his company before I arrive, or do you think that I might be able to negotiate a cheaper price with another company, when I arrive at the airport??

Thank you in advance for your advice. Sorry about all the questions!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is always best to make taxi arrangements and set prices prior to arrival.

Taking the bus late in the day from Higuey, especially on the weekend is a gamble, they are usually full with Dominicanos returning to the Capital after spending the weekend at the beach or visiting relatives. Also, making the right transit connections, taxi to bus, bus to bus, late in the day is hell, eats up your time and patience, especially after the long flight from England. It's nice to have someone waiting for you at the airport. The transit time from Punta Cana to Boca Chica is about two hours by car. Enjoy and Regards, PJT

Amanda Jade

Aug 2, 2003
Thanks for your advice PJT. I didn't take into consideration all of the locals travelling home on a weekend. I'm glad you reminded me!! I think we will book a taxi with Rafael Silva before we go, it will be much more comfortable and convenient, especially after the long flight. I think US$100 each way is reasonable for the distance travelled and the convenience.
Thanks again for all of your help.