Gangs in DR?

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
I have been hearing in the news there have been a lot of redadas lately and confiscation of house made guns, mostly thieves.
But when I see all this kids copycatting the drees styles of rappers, caps, basketball shirts, etc
I wonder if they have any idea of organized gangs in the US, if the know who the black panthers from chicago were, or the latin Kings, Deuce, Bishops, the colors, 5-6, etc.
Do you think we have that shit here now?
They dont even understand what the lyrics say.

Caribbeangeorge "Ex-latin king"
Amor de Rey.
:cool:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
There are tons of gangs in the DR. Even in smaller towns like my hometown in Cotui there are gangs. We have a couple (Los macheteros and Blanca Nieves y los siete enanitos). Places like Capotilo, Los Guandules, Las canitas, etc...are infested with gangs. They're constantly killing or stabbing each other and just like in the US they control certain areas and members from other gangs are not allowed in. I think the difference is that in the US the use of certain colors (i.e. Bloods Vs. Crips) to identify themselves is more prevalent than in the DR. Also in the DR the purpose of the gang tends to be more about selling drugs, mugging, raping, etc...

Bobs

Jan 8, 2002
Uni Miami study on Gangs

I can remember reading about a research paper on Gang activity in the DR a few years back, from a student at the University of Miami. I believe it was published on the web in spanish. Sort of a row erupted on this in the Usenet newsgroup soc.culture.dominican-rep. A Google newsgroup search should help.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maany leard their "Trade" in the USA!

So far this year the US has deported over 3,100 dominicans,AFTER they have served their time for crimes in the US.If they were criminals in the US,
where you can find a job,what do you think they are doing here,where you can't find a job!
:bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: Cris Colon

Last edited:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
The smurfs

I remember as a kid there being a gang called 'Los Pitufos' and another 'Los Macheteros'. Yes, you gotta love the names.
Mostly started out as a bunch of punks who started out stealing and rioting for money. Then it got a bit complicated with the drug business and all. There is a fabulous film about gangs in Rio de Janeiro (those guys make their US counterparts seem like the boy scouts), City of God, that I recommend if you want to get an idea of the bad asses in our local barrios. I dont think its as bad here as the film portrays Rio's gangs, but the feeling of poverty, drugs and desperation must be pretty close.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Article trhis AM in the Diorio Libre about "Gangs" in Santo Domingo!

They arrested about 15 gang member ages 11 to 25! Claimed to be "Los Sangre" (The Bloods!) I doubt they are affiliated with the US "Bloods",more likely just using the name! They are involved in all types of roberies,drugs,and "shake downs" of businessmen.I hope they all enjoy their stay in "La Victoria". Those 11 year olds should be real popular! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:bandit: :bandit:

principe

Nov 19, 2002
City of God

Samian,

That's a great movie.

As far as gang violence in the DR I could not really say much about it except that i havent seen anything. Growing up my dad would take to this street la ravelo to his old barber there, sort of like to toughen me or something. Anyhow, one time during vacation last year i drove by to see if i recognized anything or any one. As soon as i pulled to the street i was like 'let me the f*ck outta here asap'

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Gunned Down" in the "Mean Streets" of Arroyo Hondo!!!

Last Friday night,about 9 pm,my son was using the computer in the 2nd floor family room.The "Lights" were out,so it was dark in the streets,except in front of my house,I have a big street light that is hooked to my inverter,and planta.He came into our bedroom and said that he heard gun shots,and then a kid on a "motor"fell in front of our house.Two other kids ran up to him,and calmly took his sneakers,and rode off on his "Motor"! He was a delivery boy for a nearby "Colmado"!He was laying in the street pleading for "HELP!"
Of course everyone in my house wanted to go see what bwas going on! I made them sit in the dark,in the familyroom to watch!
My nextdoor neighbor is a General In the "Policia National".He went down with gun drawn,and called for help! Still took the police about 30 minutes to arrive.And yet longer for an ambulance! He was finally hauled away about an hour after being shot! Two in the "gut"! He died!
Since they took his "sneakers",that may indicate "Gang" involvement,I don't know if that is a "sign" or not????

You should have seen the crowd!! What is this facination the Dominicans have with looking at the "Dead & Dying"???
Don't the watch "The Movie Channel"?

Cris Colon

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
I bet it is

There are so many house made guns in the barrios called "Chagones" which I beleive it stand for "Shotgun"
I beleive all this violence is more no-jobs related than really gangs as in the states and canada.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Many tourists who come to the DR from big cities notice what the people who live here never seem to see- look around at all of the spray-painted "tagging" and if you see this, you are definitely in an area that a gang claims as their turf (unless it is some more claims about Balaguer and journalists dying, or getting rid of certain political factions, that is).

In Santo Domingo, the amount of spray-painted walls has gone up exponentially this year, and you see it even in some so-called "nice"areas now.

Look at the kids who are between about 12 and 20, and you now can see many with "droopy drawers" and head-rags, and YES, it IS a gang thang, no matter what your kid may tell you. Watch your kids if you love them.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
Last week in pop I heard gunfire three times most of its coming from the streets leading to the ports which is where the police traditionally meet the barrio for I get together over the tires, we paid for a second shotgun for the security in costambar I think they are going to need it. :(

Last edited: