Freeways

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
Does Santo Domingo have any Freeways like in Houston or San Antonio? I also saw something about you can't import a car that's more than 5 years old into the Dominican Republic is this true? I've got a '90 Suburban 4x4 with only 84,000 miles that I'm going to be importing when I move. I don't want to sell it because I just got it all fixed and I can't afford a new car are their no old cars their or something?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The "freeways" here are in name only and are not free. It is like comparing apples to oranges. They are not like the systems of Houston or San Antonio. They would like to mimic the U.S. However, in the Capital, they are very prone to traffic jams and heavy with signaled intersections.

Also, you cannot import a vehicle older than five years. Yet it has been done, but very costly. Best bet is to sell the Suburban, because it will be a pain to find parts and somebody to proper service it. Use the proceeds to buy a Toyota or Mitsubishi in the D.R., you will doing yourself an immense favor. Regards, PJT

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
How would you go about getting an old car in there? I don't quite understand what the age of the car has to do with anything. I also have a '98 BMW 318i I would keep that before I get jap car.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Let us put it in a nutshell. The age of the car has a lot to do with the government's aim to: regulate the amount of vehicles on the island, reduce the amount of junkers, lower the demand of costly petroleum imports needed for the older fuel inefficient vehicles, to collect higher import taxes and commissions for vehicles imported legally and otherwise, and to support domestic new car dealers by discouraging consumer overseas purchases and subsequent importation.

By the way, don't get hung up on allegiance to your vehicles. You need to think what is practical, the "jap" [sic] cars here can take a licking and keep on ticking. Suppose a Toyota does break down in the mountains, it will be easy to get parts and somebody who can repair it on the spot. Could not say the same for a '98 BMW 318i. We're not in Kansas anymore. Regards, PJT

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
PJT,

I agree that parts for Rice-Burners are easier to obtain in the DR but some people like to "DRIVE" as appose to just drive.
There are many BMW's sold in the DR and parts are obtainable.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
"Rice_Burners"

Tony, it would be nice to "DRIVE" especially if you want to live here with the ergonomics of a BMW 318i. However, you deny yourself travel to the unimproved roads of the Capitol and the rest of the country due to the design of the vehicle. It was designed for the autobahns. A BMW X5 would be a better match to the location.

....And humble me, unlike some people, I don't have a desire to "DRIVE". If I did want to "DRIVE" I would go the Avenida Lincoln and mix it up with the younsters. But, I'm beyond this kind of show-off stuff. I will stick with the "Rice-Burners" and "drive" because of an ample supply of parts, service, and rice. Also, because they get me from here to there in a dependable and efficient manner without worry of road conditions.

Yet, I'm sure we both want to help Party line with some useful advice to make a informed decision as to the advantages and advantages of importing vehicles into the D.R. What do you suggest he/she do? Regards, PJT