Dangers?

Raquel

Feb 1, 2003
I am planning to come to the RD for one or two months. I want to stay at the tropical house apartments. I am planning to come with my friend also female. We want to see the real life and not just the tours. My bf is domincan and will take us around the area. My parents are freaking right out because they think that we will get kidnapped and sent to Haitti, or forced into sex tourism...... They have heard bad stories and resently watched some movie about tourists in Thailand. I know they are worried because they care about me but do I have reason to worry about my safety if my friend and I were with domicians traveling around POP? What are some good rules to follow and places to avoid??
I know I sound kind of parinoid but everyone in Canada is scaring me. I have been to POP for one week but never saw pop b/c we stayed in the hotel, (I really regret this now).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Come and enjoy the experience. Just stay out of areas that look to you as though it is best you not go there. Just as you would do in any city annwhere. Unless you bf has bad intentions, you will have no trouble.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Your parents are just being parents about being concerned for your safety. You take the same precautions in the D.R. as you would in Canada or any place in the world. Explore and then if you feel uneasy about a place, leave. There has been is a lot said about this. You can use the "search" option to find out more in this year's forums and there is the archives. http://www.dr1.com/forums/search.php?s=

If your parents have access to a computer. Then get them on board with DR1. They will get all the information they need about the island and will find out the real dangers in the D.R. ......the posters. Regards, PJT