I Want to Study Abroad in Santo Domingo, DR

smr08

Oct 5, 2003
Hi! I want to study abroad in Santo Domingo, DR for about three months and study Spanish through my US school (goal to become fluent). And I have come across a barrier on maintaining my expenses in the US (car & house pymt) and paying for "accredited" school in the DR (this is the only way the school will allow me to get financial aid). However, most schools are expensive $5,000-$7,000 and would take up all of my financial aid so I would not be able to pay my bills in the US.

Is there a way I can work in Santo Domingo or get extensive scholarships or do mission work that anyone may know about without going to DR broke and not having my car and house repo while I am gone!?? :)

Also, has anyone heard of the Universidad Nacional Evangelica school there in Santo Domingo?? Truly, how is the school??
Do they really just believe in Christianity or is it Christianity/Vodu?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll field this one

If you want to study at an accredited school you had best apply to www.pucmmsti.edu.do and ask about their Spanish for Foreigners courses.

Semesters go from August to December and January to May. summer sessions are from late May to mid July.

I "believe" that tuition is $350 a credit and housing is less than

$150--$200 per month. Your figures are not accurate, nor should they be! Those prices are absurd. and besides the school you mentioned was shut down for selling degrees and just recently got re-opened. Why even consider that dump.?

At PUCMM, Federal Loans are accepted and the school is certified and registered for you to apply for the loan...

HB

Last edited:

smr08

Oct 5, 2003
Goldmine!!!

AAAAAH Thank you!!!!! I had not idea about UNEV!!!
So glad I posted an inquiry out here about studying abroad!!!
The programs I had been looking at through CIEE or ISA were running that high!!! I thought there had to be a better way! Thanks so much! I am not yet fluent in Spanish so the website you sent me I am not sure where to look for the program? Can you assist some more with this please?? Also, are you familiar with working/interning in Santo Domingo while studying?? Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ciee are at PUCMM, I don't know about ISA

If you do this on your own you can live on your own with what the loan provides.

The university will help you find adequate housing.

I do not think that work would be an option.

PUCMM is in Santiago, not Santo Domingo, although there is a branch in STO DGO.

HB

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
Study Abroad

Hillbilly said:
If you want to study at an accredited school you had best apply to www.pucmmsti.edu.do and ask about their Spanish for Foreigners courses.

Semesters go from August to December and January to May. summer sessions are from late May to mid July.

I "believe" that tuition is $350 a credit and housing is less than

$150--$200 per month. Your figures are not accurate, nor should they be! Those prices are absurd. and besides the school you mentioned was shut down for selling degrees and just recently got re-opened. Why even consider that dump.?

At PUCMM, Federal Loans are accepted and the school is certified and registered for you to apply for the loan...

HB
Hi, do you know if it is possible to study Spanish at PUCMM for just a few weeks??? Also, I can't access their website in English! I really want to study Spanish in Santiago. Maybe this will be the place. Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I didn't know they even had a website in English

Pucmm does not recruit English speaking students anyway. They will recruit Spanish speaking students living in English speaking countries, however.

PM me with what you need to know, and i will help if I can.

HB

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
studying in Santiago

Hillbilly said:
Pucmm does not recruit English speaking students anyway. They will recruit Spanish speaking students living in English speaking countries, however.

PM me with what you need to know, and i will help if I can.

HB
Hi, do you know if I could attend the Pucmm for just 3 weeks? I'm a retired teacher from Texas and love to combine touring with study of Spanish. I can't access anything in English at that site and my espanol is not that good-yet!! I would like to stay in a hotel near the school, assuming I can find a place that will take me for just two or three weeks of classes. I would love to enroll and study for a whole semester but that is not an option. Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
Studying Spanish in Santiago

nancybelle said:
Hi, do you know if I could attend the Pucmm for just 3 weeks? I'm a retired teacher from Texas and love to combine touring with study of Spanish. I can't access anything in English at that site and my espanol is not that good-yet!! I would like to stay in a hotel near the school, assuming I can find a place that will take me for just two or three weeks of classes. I would love to enroll and study for a whole semester but that is not an option. Thanks for whatever info you can provide.
Hi, I am still endeavoring to locate a place for three or four weeks of instruction in Spanish; I have found the Alliance Francaise (which offers an hour per day of Spanish in addition to their usual French courses) and the Berlitz Institute. I am still hoping the universities offer some sort of "continuing ed" type courses--no degree plans, etc.--for adults. I would cheerfully pay the semester fee although I'll be there considerably less than that length of time. I just can't get anyone at the university to understand me. Oh, well! Thanks for anything you can do. Do you know if the place named "Instituto Superior de Lengua Spanola y Asociades" is still around? I called their number and the operator said it had been discontinued. Their address is Republica de Argentina #18/La Esmeralda. I wonder if they closed or merely changed their phone number or perhaps moved to another part of Santiago or even to another city.
Thanks so much for helping me!

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
nancybelle said:
Hi, I am still endeavoring to locate a place for three or four weeks of instruction in Spanish; I have found the Alliance Francaise (which offers an hour per day of Spanish in addition to their usual French courses) and the Berlitz Institute. I am still hoping the universities offer some sort of "continuing ed" type courses--no degree plans, etc.--for adults. I would cheerfully pay the semester fee although I'll be there considerably less than that length of time. I just can't get anyone at the university to understand me. Oh, well! Thanks for anything you can do. Do you know if the place named "Instituto Superior de Lengua Spanola y Asociades" is still around? I called their number and the operator said it had been discontinued. Their address is Republica de Argentina #18/La Esmeralda. I wonder if they closed or merely changed their phone number or perhaps moved to another part of Santiago or even to another city.
Thanks so much for helping me!

There's a ton of places to study for just a few weeks.

try:

http://www.hispaniola.org/

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
Study for few weeks

ClippedWing said:
There's a ton of places to study for just a few weeks.

try:

http://www.hispaniola.org/
They told me they only offer classes in Santo Domingo! I think Hispaniola is a terrific school but I really want to be headquartered in Santiago. Do you have time to give me the names of a few of the other schools that are in Santiago? I can phone or fax them if they don't have a web address. I really think I have exhausted the web search engines--I've tried everything!! Thanks so much!

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
I'm not familiar with Santiago. You can ask Hispaniola if they know of a school in Santiago I guess. Good Luck