Biodiesel ingredients

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
Hello everyone,
i'm trying to figure out what the prices for the two ingredients needed to make biodiesel are, in the dominican republic.
They are: Methanol, or wood alcohol, and caustic soda (sodium hydroxide)
Methanol is used for racing car fuel just in case that info might be useful.

Muchas gracias :)
Handel

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
what is biodiesel?

errr...perhaps to clarify WHAT biodiesel is :)

Its an alternative totally renewable environmentally friendly (i hate that term) diesel fuel, made from vegetable oil. Its very
simple to make, and it WORKS, and I'm considering experiementing with it in the DR, but i wanted to do some pre-research on cost of ingredients.

if ya'll need more info, lemme know..

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I haven't heard of either of those two ingredientes here. Are you thinking of commercial possibilites as in marketing the stuff here (forget it) or just experimenting to try to come up with a way to make something work that might be useful somewhere else?

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
caustic soda is used in soap making too

Hmmmm...yes, I was planning to make the product for use in the DR on a small scale, as a means for rural communities to earn extra income from their renewable resource base.

Well, maybe anyone knows of ppl who make home made soaps in the DR. The caustic soda needed to make soaps is the same for making the biodiesel. So if soap making is done somewhere, they might help me source where to find the caustic soda at least.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JABONER?AS = Soap makers

Jaboner?a Valencia
809 581-1256
Fax 583 3408

Unilever Dominicana
809 732 2222

C?sar Iglesias, C x A
809 535 5511

Always glad to help!

HB

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
Mucha Gracias Hillbilly :)

I'll dance at your wedding Hillbilly !! :)

Definately usful info. Many thanks !!!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Dancing at weddings

Handel said:
I'll dance at your wedding Hillbilly !! :

You must be a Southerner Handel - the only place where I've ever heard this saying was in a town called Tupelo (birthplace of Elvis Presley) in Missippi... How far off am I?

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
way down south......

LOL...I AM way down south Chris, but not where you might think. Barbados is where I hail from.

Barbados DID have way back in the 17th and 18th Century, lots of ties with those southern states tho. Matter of fact, there is still a lot of Barbadian vestiges left in those neck o' the woods.

I'm not too sure if Barbados got the saying from the States or if they got it from us. I just heard my granny say it a whole lot. :)

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Hi Handel,

glad you followed my advice on www.webdominicana.fr

I am still waiting the day when Hillbilly cannot answer a question about dr business!

BTW I read on a biodiesel site a few month ago that this kind of stuff was somewhat dangerous to manipulate?

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Wouldn't the alcohol....

strip any lubricating properties off where there's metal on metal contact/oil?

Best, P

Handel

Sep 15, 2002
biodiesel is quite safe actually

Hey Guys,

Biodiesel is not at all dangerous to use or handle. The ingredients used to make it are hazardous in the beginning, but they are converted into soap and biodiesel at the end of the reaction.
Two pproducts that are completely biodegradable and safe.
The soap is separated from the diesel and used normally.

The only major probs it could cause with the engine is that rubber components will be dissolved. However, diesel engines made after 1994 don't have rubber components any longer, just synthetic parts. And even if there were areas that might have rubber, the cost for the minor conversion to the engine would be less that 50 us$.

There is also the option of mixing the biodiesel with regular diesel in the engine, that way no conversion is necessary at all.

I'd like to look thru that website Barnabe. I always try to read opposing view points.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Who switched off the light?

Methanol smells and tastes like pure alcohol (ethanol), but makes you go blind (hence the title) or even die. So don't ever try to drink it. Then again, who would be tempted to drink methanol where rum and other spirits intended for human consumption are as cheap as in the DR? Such things almost only happen in my crazy little corner of Europe, where taxes on alcohol and most anything else that makes one enjoy life probably are the highest in the world. Smuggling alcohol is big business here, and sometimes smuggled methanol is passed off as the "real thing" (not CocaCola though). Victims can be counted by the dozen every time it happens.

Cheers,

Paulino

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Dancing at weddings

A very common expression in rural Scotland. Slightly ahead of I'll drink at your wake! Cheers.. Stan.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Dance At Your Wedding--Et Al

An expression (in the USA) that originally migrated from today's States of Kentucky, Tennessee and No. Alabama, which states, by the way are responsible for the uniqueness of the American Language addition to Mother English. Peopled by Scots/Irish settlers(freed indentured servants) from Colonial times.
Reference to above is from "The Origin of English" TV series from the late 60's and very informative. Maybe it's on CD someplace. Try "Discovery Channel" website.

Texas Bill