North American Newspapers

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Hi all.

I've never been to the north coast. Can anyone tell me if newspapers from Canada and the US are available in Sosua, and how current they are when they arrive?

Thanks.

Tom

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is a place on the main street in Sosua that sells the Miami Herald. No more than one day old. Right now he seems to have only one copy, but would provide for you, i'm sure, if you wanted it on a daily basis.

But why do you want newspapers? All the big newspapers and news magazines have websites and you can get alll the latest news from them.

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Newspapers

Ken,

You're right about the web sites, but if I'm just heading down for a couple of weeks, I'm not assured about gaining access to the net unless my hotel has access.

I guess my question should have been posted in the Travel Forum, not Living.

My only experience so far is with A/Is, and they charge about $5.00 US per 30 minutes, if i remember correctly.

Tom

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tom,

In Sosua there are a number of internet cafes. Don't know what the present charge is, but cheap. I'd guess about RD$50/hour. I don't think any of the AIs in Sosua have internet cafes; too much local competition. Tell me what hotel you will be staying at and I'll tell you the closest internet cafe(s).

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Internet Cafes

Ken.

Thanks for your help. I haven't booked one yet, but it's good to know they're available.

Tom

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Tom - don't forget - you can get all the news from CNN while there. That has always pacified us (and I'm a newspaper junky!)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There is a regular vendor on Cabarete beach that sells the New York Times, Miami Herald, and all main papers from Germany and one or two other countries - a day old.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yea, we have a regular relationship - he tells me how bad his life is 'cause I don't buy his newspapers and I tell him how bad the news is that he is trying to sell. Quite a sweet guy and regular as clockwork.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
I get the Miami Herald delivered to my front gate.
every morning at 8 .
cost 12 pesos a day.
fantastic service.