what to leave for room attendants?

no entiendo

Oct 26, 2003
hey,

Going to be there on the 6th, all-inclusive style in puerto plata. So, I want to bring a few things with to leave for room attendants, just wondering if anyone could give me a few suggestions. In the past I've brought nail polish, soaps, shampoo, lotions... Girly stuff, really! Can anyone offer any insight as to things I can bring along that are not as common, or not as easy to get?

Thanks!

no entiendo

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
We go to Las Vegas a few times a year and bring with us all our own bath and hair products. Each day we put all the lotions, shampoos, conditioners, soaps, shower caps, and whatever else the maid leaves for us in a bag and bring these items to the DR to give away or leave along with a few dollars for our maid.
John

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Money

no entiendo said:
hey,

Going to be there on the 6th, all-inclusive style in puerto plata. So, I want to bring a few things with to leave for room attendants, just wondering if anyone could give me a few suggestions. In the past I've brought nail polish, soaps, shampoo, lotions... Girly stuff, really! Can anyone offer any insight as to things I can bring along that are not as common, or not as easy to get?

Thanks!

no entiendo

leave a US$ a day, or for a week AI , $10 is enough. I think, in fact I know maids really need the cash (400 pesos is more than a day's pay you know, heck 150 pesos probably is) and girly stuff, let them buy their own.

Tip: give YOUR maid the money and say thanks personally. I am afraid leaving it in the room etc., means it is nabbed, or some other maid on YOUR maid's day off gets it.

This applies to non AI as well, BTW. I stay in a small family run hotel and give my maids (regrettably they rotate and there are four of them) 50-100RD$ each , maybe 2X per trip, when I see them several times so for a week it would be around the 400 RD$.

2nd Tip: Doing it in "real time" gets your room done fast and the towel supply is amazingly robust.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Tip: give YOUR maid the money and say thanks personally. I am afraid leaving it in the room etc., means it is nabbed, or some other maid on YOUR maid's day off gets it.

As Rick mentioned, I give OUR maid the money and gifts each morning when I go out to breakfast. I do not just leave them in the room!
John

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
A bit of advice, if you are going to give a gift of unusual size or value to the help, get their name and give it directly to them along with a note signed by you explaning it is a gift from you to him/her. Why? In some cases the management will assume the help has robbed you rather than have received a gift for good service. Robbers get fired and management keeps the gift. Regards, PJT

kunky

Oct 6, 2003
besides tipping, ive been know to take skipping ropes, bubbles, toys and clothes for the children. i leave them at the front desk before i leave, including anything to do with hair for the women. they appreciate anything u give them anyways.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
My wife and I have been staying in a Playa Dorada hotel for seven years now and we have found the staff to appreciate any and all gifts left for them. I like the idea of $$ each day. A couple of bucks will be a nice token of your appreciation. I also concur with the mention that any large gifts of clothes/supplies, etc. will have to be noted on paper so that the staff person will not have security problems when she/he leaves the resort at the end of the day.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Thanks for this thread

I now feel badly that I may have created a bad situation for my maid. I left money at first ($1 US), but as the days went on I would leave a gift of larger importance. The last day I left a small hand held tape player. I now realize I may have put this person in an uncomfortable situation and possibly dismissal from their job. I now know better and will approach management to tell them that these things were left intentionally by me for the maid and not leave them in the room. Thanks for the information.

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
may I suggest

Money in your shoes !!!!!! like with Santa ! ha ha ha ha
I'm sure they will look there !
:bunny:
Now back to the issue seriously, most of the maids have kids, so any thing you might like to give them that might be usefull to their hommes, kids, etc, would be great appreciated.
Make sure you leave a note indicating your room number and name & signature, so the security of the hotel let them take out their goods.
;)

Last edited: