Barcelo Beach / Caribe Hotel

lilylily

Nov 5, 2003
Hi. I am going to Punta Cana next week, and I would like to know everything about this hotel. What is a good place to eat (the name of the dish if you can) or what is not ? How about activities and entertainment ? Any suggestion.

What are some of the must see tours spot in DR. I would like to get a one day tour to Santo Domingo, anyone know the price ? Any recommened local travel agency ?

Also, I am very worry about the safety of my room. Do the maids take things from their guests very often ? Do I need to put all my clothing, shoes back in the luggage everyday ? How about the safe ? Is it likely that they can open it ? Do they have a do not disturb sign, so that I can put it outside the room and hopefully they won't come it.

Anything that I should avoid or beware of, so that I won't get sick.

Thanks.

Lily

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The most unsafe place in the universe

lilylily said:
Hi. I am going to Punta Cana next week, and I would like to know everything about this hotel. What is a good place to eat (the name of the dish if you can) or what is not ? How about activities and entertainment ? Any suggestion.

What are some of the must see tours spot in DR. I would like to get a one day tour to Santo Domingo, anyone know the price ? Any recommened local travel agency ?

Also, I am very worry about the safety of my room. Do the maids take things from their guests very often ? Do I need to put all my clothing, shoes back in the luggage everyday ? How about the safe ? Is it likely that they can open it ? Do they have a do not disturb sign, so that I can put it outside the room and hopefully they won't come it.

Anything that I should avoid or beware of, so that I won't get sick.

Thanks.

Lily

You are going to an all-inclusive hotel so it will be just like being in the USA, e.g. boring and not reflective of the culture of where you actually are. The food in particular which is more like cafeteia or hospital food than cuisine.

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS

As to safety: You are good to ask, as the risks are well known and it all falls apart:

The maids steal EVERYTHING and CONSTANTLY, they come into your room WHILE you sleep and take things, even sometimes your hair and sell it to gypsies. Bring a wig as backup.

If you are a missionary they will even steal YOU and put you in a big pot (sometimes with other missionaires so you get to meet new people - refer previous missionary/pot thread) and boil you alive and use you as food and in voodoo ceremonies.

Not only should you put everything back in your luggage every day but then you should park a small car (you can rent cars there) ON TOP OF the suitcase so it cannot be opened by anyone without having the car keys. Don't get too big a car as it is hard to get in and out of the room.

The safe actually has a small door in the BACK of the safe so what you put in the front the maids (or management if they work with the maids, e.g. in CAHOOTS) take out the back.

They copy your passport or worse replace it with one from haiti with YOUR pciture so you can never go home, they replace your money with counterfeit, and they steal credit card information. If you catch them they kill you ( with or without the pot of missionaries, but maybe).

It is unsafe, only 1 or 2% of tourists who GO there live to tell about it. It is only safe if you have a gun, a bodyguard and/or are trained like Agent 007 and even then James Bond only has 1/2 a chance.

Put on the Do Not Disturb sign for the whole week so you can have smelly bed linens and wet and dirty towels. The sign is like a force field (e.g. from Star Trek) so the presence on the door will prevent a maid (or management working again, in CAHOOTS) from using a KEY, to open the door.

Whatever you do don't get sick or need help while IN THE ROOM , if you have that little plastic sign on the outside as the fire department (who rob, maim and steal too - actually they compete with the police for that honor) or management with a KEY cannot get in to save your life and they will have to basically brick up the room to seal it off from the public when you finally perish of your illness. There are some hotels withonly one or two rooms left that have not been bricked up due to dead guests with the little signs.

As for getting sick, get all vaccinations and start malaria prevention medicine before you go ( there hasn't been malaira in Punta Cana but that doesn't mean you won't be #1) plus beri-beri, the plague, Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever, and Ebola. Bring your own food and water. carry it with you at all times in case the MAIDS and/or the FIRE DEP'T or police poison it.

If you work really hard and think about it in advance long enough with questions like these you can be assured you will have a lousy time since you worry about everything. It's a hotel. They are clean, the food is boringly safe, the employees are honest hard working human beings. Use the safe for money and documents, leave clothes wherever you want, and try to have fun if you can. Get a grip.

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Barcelo Beach and Caribe

Hi Lily.

You'll have a great time. We've stayed in both hotels and liked them both.

The Steakhouse at the Beach is popular for lunch and dinner. Get there about 30 minutes prior to the opening time to avoid waiting for table once they open. The Medalions of Beef are supposed to be good, but they're always out of it. <shrug>

Also at the Beach, the Mexican is very good. The same rule of early arrival applies. It's also the only restaurant that's air conditioned, if you care about that.

The Caribe (was Garden Hotel) has the Italian (name escapes me now). It's OK, but not my favorite.

The buffets are very good at both.

We enjoyed the Monster Truck tour (all day sightseeing). We did not take the Santo Domingo tour. From what I hear, it's an awful long way to go for only a couple of hours there. Maybe if you're there for 2 weeks.....

Enjoy!

Tom