Woman - What to wear in Santo Domingo

smr08

Oct 5, 2003
I am sure this message board has received this several times.
What should a young lady (28) like me wear in Santo Domingo?
I really like to wear shorts and tank tops in the summer time. But as I read travel guides it is recommended not to do that since it is considered to be "loose". I don't have a lot of money to invest in summer dresses (i am a full time grad student and barely able to afford to get to DR)...any suggestions.

Also, I have alopecia (no hair) and do not wear a wig but prefer a hat/beret. Would I look REALLY crazy in HOT DR with this hat? Or should I just go with scarves/headwraps??

Thanks for any suggestions.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi smr08,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Go with Pib's suggestions - she's always well intentioned and informed. What else would you expect from a GODDESS.

One thing of which you might not be aware is that (at least I am lead to believe) certain religious buildings (cathedrals and the like) require that certain body parts (arms, shoulders, etc.) be covered when visiting. Perhaps someone who is certain or at least pretty sure of this can let you know so you will not be restricted in your visiting.

Have a great trip.

Gregg

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
When we visited Santo Domingo a few years ago, we were advised that ladies needed to cover their shoulders, and that men needed to wear long pants in the Cathedral. One very smart gentlemen wore those pants that you can unzip the legs and they turn into shorts. The other guys in the group were very envious as it was a very humid day.

smr08,

Are you from Canada? the U.S.? I have picked up some rather nice sun dresses at both Walmart and Zellers for about $15-20. I have often found these in the lingerie section. I also like those cotton Indian skirts, the crinkly kind to be very useful too, and inexpensive Add a tank top or something like that, and a cotton long sleeved shirt over top does the trick for me. If it is hot you can either take the shirt off, or roll up the sleeves. If you are in air conditioning (sometimes the vans or buses that you take on these excusions can be a bit cool) you have something to cover up with.

Have a great trip.

Rose

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Speaking of cathedrals, are women required to wear something on their heads when attending Catholic Mass?

smr08

Oct 5, 2003
Thank you all for the great suggestion!!!! I realllllly appreciate it!! Esp. Pib.