solar power

Jennie McEwen

Sep 3, 2003
I was wondering why, if the DR has such power problems, that more houses do not have solar power?

Surely a better solution to back up generators.

I know a gas fridge is needed for solar powwer but not a big problem I would have thought

I only ask because I would like to know

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
I HAVE your answer have you checked the prices on solar panels inverter and the whole set of things you will need to set up a decent system? that's not counting the experienced technician you will need to hire.

If you want a decent System be ready to shed around $20,000 American BEAMS>>>>

and Ladies and Gentleman that's the way the cookie crumbles.

p/s by the way we have discussed this topic already a couple of times do a little search and you'll find it.

Jennie McEwen

Sep 3, 2003
Sounds as if the government of the DR needs to look into a solar programme for the whole country.

There is no way the sort of costs you quote are justified by current market prices.

Wish I was young enough to start a solar power business in the DR

Could provide a useful service and make a few dollars myself.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Jennie McEwen said:
Sounds as if the government of the DR needs to look into a solar programme for the whole country.

There is no way the sort of costs you quote are justified by current market prices.

Wish I was young enough to start a solar power business in the DR

Could provide a useful service and make a few dollars myself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

Jennie,
Sorry but it is obvious you have not spent much time in the DR.
Any gov. program like you advocate would just be another way for the politicos to syphon money into their own accounts
Erickxson's Price was a low-ball figure. Solar power is probobly the most inefficient way of producing power from a Cost-Benifit viewpoint.
Many Solar-power companies have tried and failed in the DR. Main reason are costs, inefficiency, quality of power and just the DR being a lousy place for small businesses

Jennie McEwen

Sep 3, 2003
Re: Re: solar power

Tony C said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

Jennie,
Sorry but it is obvious you have not spent much time in the DR.
Any gov. program like you advocate would just be another way for the politicos to syphon money into their own accounts
Erickxson's Price was a low-ball figure. Solar power is probobly the most inefficient way of producing power from a Cost-Benifit viewpoint.
Many Solar-power companies have tried and failed in the DR. Main reason are costs, inefficiency, quality of power and just the DR being a lousy place for small businesses

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Obviously the wrong time and the wrong place, 'cause there is nothing wrong with solar power per se.

Here in Spain if you are far enough away from the nearest power line the Gov. pays 50% of a solar installation.

Off topic I know, but why do all Latin American countries (ex-Spanish) make such a a meal out of shuffling bits of paper?

I thought here in Spain was bad enough but when I went to Panama for a visit, looking into their retirees programme, I could not believe how many times they wanted the same bit of paper.

The DR seems to be even worse.

How can they make paper shuffling such a self-defeating endless pastime.

To obtain residency in the DR you have to effectively submit the same papers twice within a few weeks/months.

At present the Gov of the DR is having troubles balancing the budget.

Any prizes for guessing where the cut will fall last?

You knew the answer already did you not?

In any half -way efficent organisation immigration permits would be issued from DR consulates abroad.

The amount of paper shuffling, would be reduced to a minimum, and an important saving could be made on the paper shufflers in the DR

Having read the above I realise why nothing will ever get better in the DR

Turkeys do not vote for Xmas

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Oh Yeah you said it IN SPAIN? and don't forget that even the Spanish government is moving away from the Solar Idea and implementing WindMill Technology by G.E.
(Testing already in place for the DR)

The only man that travel at the Speed of a phone Call

ERICKXSON
lol :lick:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Solar in Santiago

There is a small company that is offering the latest intechnology from Spain. Solar panals with 25 year guarantees and batteries with 7 year guarantees (In Spain the same batteries get 12 year guarantees) but the darn things cost RD$6800 each!

I agree that solar might be the way to go but it is still expensive..

HB

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If you read some of the posts in the archives you will get a sense of solar in the DR. If you are connected to the grid (assuming you have a reasonable amount of time to charge your batteries), it will still be cheaper per kilowatt-hour to take it from the grid than to produce it with solar power (even with the losses in conversation). There are many variables that determine when wind and/or solar make more sense. If you live off the grid and use candles and kerosene for lighting, dry cells for your radio and a car battery for your black and white TV, solar is your answer. No doubt about it. About 200,000 families live under these circumstances and at least 20,000 of them are using solar as we speak. This is due to the fact that a group of committed Dominicans and people from many different countries have invested up to 20 years of their lives trying to make the free market work in the DR. No one and I mean no one is getting rich doing it. The inverter business is another story. Joselito who represents the major inverter company (I keeping thinking Trace, but there are two major ones and I forgot which is which) started small time in Moca and look at him now.

Try Soluz in Santiago, Cotui and Sosua, Cogram, Tecsol and Solelec in the Capital, Luz Cibao in Jarabacoa, and Solar Luz Cibao in San Francisco de Macoris. There are small businesses installing in Samana, San Jose de las Matas, El Partido (Dajabon), Barahona, Monte Plata and La Romana. These are the ones I know about.

The Dominican government is not giving out any 50% subsidies and solar panels pay a 10% import tax +, and the ballasts for lighting, charge regulator components, and other items pay 30% +. Just recently the government gave away 100w panels to families who were paying a monthly fee for solar electric services from Soluz. This happened in the Puerto Plata region. I doubt whether you really want to go into the solar business in the DR.

$20,000 is about the cost to have a complete setup (1000w) with 24-hour power and all the comforts besides air conditioning. 24v-ceiling fans will have to do the job. A complete kitchen, washer and dryer, and the entertainment equipment you would ever want. About half the costs are for solar panels with life spans of at least 20 years. No monthly bills. The highest cost for maintenance is in the batteries. People that do this tend to learn a great deal and maintain it themselves. I have set people up with a 200w system which gives them basic lights, music, TV and a few other things for $2000 and you can build up your system as you can afford to or as your needs increase. Your main concern is with energy efficiency when you purchase your lighting and appliances. DC is better and 24v is necessary if you have ceiling fans, refrigeration or other heavier motor. You look in the RV catalogues to buy a blender; the small washer and driers in the DR work fine but may require a panel or two be added. Go visit Soluz in Charamicos. Tell them Tomas sent you and ask them to explain the business. If they think you are a spy from Tecsol, they might not trust you. They are the competitors from the Capital who play dirty.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Soluz office in Santiago

For the English speakers, you probably have to go to Santiago. I'm not sure who is working in the Sosua office because I was there before the move to Santiago. I worked with Francisco and Jesus Frias in San Francisco de Macoris to start their solar business while a Peace Corps volunteer in the late 80's. They are still at it today maybe installing 5-10 50w systems a month raking in RD$10,000-$20,000 a month. Most of us would not work that hard for that little bit of money. There are also months when installations are not happening; cacoa prices are down, or the peso is devalued or something like that. Most of these small businesses have not been installing since the peso to the dollar went over 25/1. Their clients are the rural farmer off the grid and they can't pay for the gym fees either (read the news summary today).