Dominicans and $2100

With the weakness of the peso, what is the government doing?

What can $2100 a year get you for the average dominican now
thats $175 a month.
Can someone fill in the blanks that know?

rent/mortgage______
electric_______
Public transporation________
Food______
Water_______
car_______
telephone________
Medical______
cable_______
internet_______
Family/baby_______

Total_________

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Thats assuming you have a computer for the internet, most people don't have a car and God only knows how many pay electricity.
Cable? thats assuming you have a TV and care to watch something other than Sabado de Corporan and El show del medio dia.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Excellent question, sancochojoe.
I guess they'll have to learn to 'do without.'
Oh, they're doing that already...
Hmmmm.
mk

Leona G

Nov 26, 2003
most of the business don't pay their taxes and if they do the govertment for sure puts it in its pockets. and that is not counting the country debt not being pay off, but picking up. and the salary the people get? most of them don't get pay enough to buy a pair of shoes, but just enough to buy rice and beans.
and the rich getting richier and the poor getting poorer
i wish my best to those trying to survive

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Talk about survival

I went yesterday to the supermarket to get my weekly supply. I spent around $3,000.00 in the following supplies:

bread, cornflakes, milk, OJ and jam for breakfast.

Ham, cheese ketchup and sandwich spread for dinner.

T.P., Toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant and a new pack of shaving razors for the bathroom

A new bucket, suape and escoba for cleaning

and a six pack of presidente.

The food will last about 10 days, the bathroom stuff about 3-4 weeks, the cleaning stuff who knows and the beer is soon to be gone.

About two months ago, almost the same thing set me back about $2,200.

Leona G

Nov 26, 2003
Dear samian,
if you are able to spend $3000 pesos on food and other supplies in the supermarket,
COGRATULATIONS!
i have some families and friend living there and $3000 pesos worth of food and other stuff (biweekly) is just out of reach!

I am not trying to make you feel bad. You probably work really hard to get your money. This situation gets to me sometimes, when i see people working 10 to 12 hours a day to make almost nothing (and these people have college education). Unless you know somebody who has a high paid position and can get you in, you won't probably get a job that pay what you are worth.
But i believe in Justice and you will get your reward sooner or later!

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Thats a load of Crap..wrong store

Hey... I shop at Carrafour and what you said you bought for 3,000 pesos is way out of line..... what you bought should be less than half of that... nless you have it delivered half accross the country.......Sorry... just the truth.....Cheers.. M.

How much do the tellers and people working in banks get paid.
They are about the sharpest dressed people in most of the businesses I go in. I know presentation is key, but what is the qualifications to work in the bank from teller on up.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
One of my sisters in law works in a bank. She has to look well-groomed, and has good qualifications, but earns just RD$10,000 per month. That is less that US$300 these days.

She had worked in a different department in the same bank earning a bit more, about RD$14,000, but was laid off several months ago, got her severance pay, and was re-employed two or three months later at a lower salary. She often works until late in the evening, and some Saturdays, and does not get overtime or time off in lieu.

She is grateful to have a job so she can keep her precarious grip on a crumbling middle class lifestyle. She is a single parent and gets little or nothing from her ex-husband. Yet her main complaint is the freezing cold air conditioning in the bank. She once took to wearing a ridiculous woolly hat to work in protest. Maybe that's why they fired her?

Chiri