Riots on Tuesday?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Big word on the street is that we will have big riots on Tuesday, in Puerto Plata, Santiago, SD...

(tourists - no worries - you will not encounter them)

Bad thing is, things havent gotten even bad yet. Wait until the government runs out of money next year, because the whole budget will go to salaries gov. employees and to pay back debts incurred by Hippo. There will be no money for schools, hospitals, electricity, etc.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Personally, I think it's about time that dominicans take their own country and put it in the right direction, or at least try to do such thing. Thank God if there are going to be riots, especially if a group of dominicans try to bash Hippo's mansions that are scattered from the Capital to Jarabacoa to the Cibao. I would like to see his face then (A news reporter once asked him if he is worried of some sort of revolt from the dominican people, he said "oooh, look how I am shaking out of fear, oooh"). So, let's see how he would feel when he really starts to shake, that bastard. I hate that guy down to his guts. I was watching the spanish show "Aqui y Ahora" and they interviewed the son of the devil that is in control of the government (i.e. Hippo) and apparently he has around $3 million (so he says), he promised that Hugo Chavez (president of Venezuela) is not being plotted to be killed but when the reporter asked Hippo if Hugo can come to the DR without fear, Hippo said that if Hugo want's to come, he can but his safety won't be guaranteed, so go figure. He comfirmed once again that reporters are "talibans" and "babosos". He continues to act as if everything is well and fine despite the fact that right outside of the Palacio Nacional, hundreds of people are worried whether they will eat raw food tonight, because there is no cooking gas anywhere!!!!! At the end of the interview, Hippo was caught asking the reporter if they were going to interview the opposition, the reporter said yes (that was a lie however) and Hippo asked for the reporter to ask the opposition if they like men (i.e. he is calling them homosexuals). Then Hippo realized that he was being videotaped still despite the ending of the interview and Hippo was caught saying to the black dominican camera man (in a humurous kind of way) "what are you videotaping beautiful one". The reporter tried to imply that Hippo is a racist for calling a black dominican beautiful (implying that blacks are ugly or something). So, there you have it. It's about time that Dominicans take matters into their own hands. Or they can wait until August when Leonel comes back with his magic ways of taking desastrous economies and turning them into bright stars.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
So you are advocating the violent takeover of a democratically elected Government? How Bolivian of you!
You voted for this guy....Now take your medicine.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Con permiso

May I interrupt to ask a small question:

In Dominican Spanish, does 'huelga' mean strike, protest, riot or all three? Or even something else altogether?

Chiri

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
TonyC...think of the riots as our version of Presidential Recall. I wonder if there IS a law in the books in the DR that would make that possible (even though its too late now).

Edited to add: What would be really cool would be if someone would set up a webcam at each major strike location...that way everyone around the world could witness the evetns.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Huelga" is MORE than a Strike here!

As it usually includes burning lots of tires soaked in gasoline,rock throwing,blocking roads with tree limbs and garbage.Last one included burning lots of guaguas,some with their poor drivers still inside!

I filled my third "Cooking Gas" tank today.I will fill the "Plantas" tanks on the way home.I bought extra food yesterday.I'll take the trigger lock of the shotgun before I go to bed tonight,I'll let the dogs go hungry for a few days,keeps em alert at night!!

If you plan to visit me,CALL FIRST!!!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Another difference between a regular old strike and a huelga is that strike action is usually taken against an employer, whereas Dominican huelgas are designed wreak havoc on society in general to pressure the authorities.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Tony C., I would support such thing if and only if the government fails to deliver what it promises or at least part of what it promises. Isn't that what freedom and democracy is about, a country that is owned and kind of managed by everyone in society. If society realized that they voted for a no-good politician (which is a norm in the DR) they ought to have a right to force that politician to take care of the people, as he promised. If the politician continue as if everything is fine when it's not, then the people should do what ever it takes to make it clear to the politicians that they are not going to take any more bull. That to me sounds like freedom and democracy in action. The truth is that Hippo should had been impeached 6 months into his term, when it was clear that he was up to no good. Too late now, however, dominicans can make his last few months hail on earth. Maybe that would catch the eyes of the world (in a way that the super expensive Panam games never did) and then the US might intervene and establish some order. I know that would destroy the good lifestyle most expats enjoy in the DR with uncle Sam around, but then again, the DR is the land of the Dominicans, and their well being should come first and foremost than any other citizen in Dominicana. No offense intended to anyone in this or any of my statements, by the way.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I had to!!!!!!!!!

You guys strayed from the originall Thread, Riots on Tuesday?

That I split it, and named it Debating Democracy and moved it to the
DR Debates Forum.

Since it is mostly U.S. bashing, I do not think it will survive very much longer.

Good Luck, and Enjoy.

Thanks
Tim H.:cool: