Another gratuity question

woohooboo

Nov 8, 2003
This will be my fourth trip to the DR. I generally give my maid cash personally, and upon departure also shoes, cloths, and childrens cloths, along with a detailed list for security purposes,
But is there anything else I could do. Is there a need for them that I am overlooking,

The last time I was there the maid actually gave me a pencil case, with a pencil erraser and sharpner, Obviously she did'nt need it although I know she had 4 children.

Is there a need for powdered milk, or batteries, candles, Asprin, I know my father takes to cuba electrical junction boxes, although sounds silly but it is a need there, and highly appreciated.

Could anyone give me ideas as what to bring that is truely needed in the homes of the workers with families.
I will continue to tip cash but if something is easily accessable to me and not to the DR people I would be honoured to give them as gifts.
Sincerely
woohoo

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Most things Dominicans can't get they are very good at doing without, or wouldn't know how to use anyway.

Cash is the exception, and since it is easy to transport it is probably the best gift I can think of.

Unlike Cuba, economic sanctions have never been in place against the DR, so most goods are available, though locals do have to contend with high import fees, greedy resellers and devaluating currency.

Give them a small TV, (13 - 19 inches) and they will be very appreciative for 4 hours a day when there is electricity.

Of course they are very gracious and will appreciate anything you give them.

I went down to the local grocery store the other day and spent about 100 bucks on non-perishable foodstuffs for a local family that is dear to my heart, and they were more impressed than if I had given them twice that amount in cash.

woohooboo

Nov 8, 2003
thanks Mr. Mike,

I sincerly appreciate your honesty and dry humor, If could take a t.v hehe I would,

Your sincerety is appreciated, cash it is, so instead of spending too much here hoping to do something meaningful, I will be sure to just increase my tipping.

any suggestions as to which employees are the least paid on the resort.

boo