Peso & Electricity Crisis

aaemet

Nov 11, 2003
:mad:
There was a company trying to build "Waste To Energy" plants, to take the garbage piling up and turn it into electricity, and they were going to pay for the entire project. Of course this would have helped both issues; making the garbage dump problem go away, and getting 50 MW per hour of electricity from free fuel (garbage).
They gave up eventually, I think it was when they saw that they can't even get garbage without giving handouts.
How can this country ever develop, if we keep voting in these same people? Isn't there someone there who is honest? Everyone thinks that if their friend is in office, then they're OK for 4 years. B.S. The economy goes to hell and we are all in the poorhouse. Is there a plan for the future, or are we to continue falling until we hit bottom?
We have such a sophisticated country. People would invest billions of dollars & Euros, if we can just get our act together.
Let's set up an "Amnesty" program, like they have in many countries, allowing everyone to forget the past, and from today on, no more handouts, no more shakedowns, no more customs problems, no more bogus deals behind closed doors. Let's get someone in there who is going to increase revenues, increase foreign investments, balance the budget, and actually prosecute his own people for corruption.
If we can't do that, we might as well give up. Buy a generator, and live in a bubble. Or maybe get into the game ourselves. Get some dirty money and run around showing it off.
What have we become?!
:angry:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Interesting post. Mirrors my feelings and everything I have heard.

The Israelis have said that they can solve the electricity problem in 2 months. Read that here on DR1 a year or two ago.

These people just don't get it and all you want to post will not help albeit these posts should continue. I could never actually go into any business in the DR. I would have to mail in my sense of doing proper business.

Escott

Last edited by a moderator:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When the sole aim of the Government is to steal,what hope can you have??

None! So you just get in line for YOUR handout!

I must disagree with your claim that the DR is a "Sophisticated" Country.It may be that you need to find another adjective!

I hope that there is a "Strike" everyday! The streets were almos deserted in northern Santo Domingo this AM! Lots of Military on foot patrol!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are some honest people, but they will never get into power, because the route to power is to trade favours for support. It is a rare politician, anywhere on the globe, who does not become corrupted on the way up.

The waste to energy idea sounds like a dream solution for this country (and many others). Why oh why could it not have worked?

Chiri

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Chiri

To answer your question of "Why O Why"....Because each government official at each level doesn't want to give up his control over the people under him and of those who deal with him. It's a "Macho" thing and as old as the political world.
A matter of POWER over people at all levels. Politicians FEED on power and nothing else satisfies them.

Texas Bill

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
aaemet said:
Let's set up an "Amnesty" program, like they have in many countries, allowing everyone to forget the past, and from today on, no more handouts, no more shakedowns, no more customs problems, no more bogus deals behind closed doors.

We already have the amnesty part. The prosecution of corrupt officials is just a token of publicity for every government I've experienced. Most people walk out of power fearing nothing. This is especially true for the sacred cows grazing over by the Congress building.

cibaena

Nov 12, 2003
aaemet said:
:mad:
?
We have such a sophisticated country. People would invest billions of dollars & Euros, if we can just get our act together.
Let's set up an "Amnesty" program, like they have in many countries, allowing everyone to forget the past, and from today on, no more handouts, no more shakedowns, no more customs problems, no more bogus deals behind closed doors. Let's get someone in there who is going to increase revenues, increase foreign investments, balance the budget, and actually prosecute his own people for corruption.

I'm new here and i WANT TO CONGRATULATE U. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SCREAMING IN THIS COUNTRY(I LIVE IN THE DOM REP) I love this country and would love to see someone PATRIOTIC come into office and not some wannabe millionaire, but u look around and those that are in politics have nothing to offer not Mejia, not Estrella and not Fernandez they are all in this for their own gain. GOD BLESS DR AND HELP US!!!!

cibaena

Nov 12, 2003
Re: When the sole aim of the Government is to steal,what hope can you have??

Criss Colon said:
None! So you just get in line for YOUR handout!

I must disagree with your claim that the DR is a "Sophisticated" Country.It may be that you need to find another adjective!

I disagree with u, with all the bs that we dominicans put up with its amazing that we are not another Haiti, so sophisticated is just one of the adjectives this country deserves, although not our leaders, and strikes dont really solve anything cause we have politicians that turn a blind eye and deaf ear to the necesities of the very people they should serve. SOLUTION???? i say we get rid of them all...:hurt: :hurt: :hurt:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
aaemet said:
If we can't do that, we might as well give up. Buy a generator, and live in a bubble.
I am voting (with my dollars) for the generator and the bubble idea. As long as the pool bunnies are inside the bubble.

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

aaemet

Nov 11, 2003
Protocol

You're gonna have to pay off a lot of people to get the bunnies, and they're adding another 42% bubble-tax.

Try moving to Haiti. Stay for 6 months. Then when you come back, you'll be in paradise. :alien: :bandit: :mad:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"People Get The Government They Deserve"!!!!

Dominicans voted him "IN"!!!!

Stop "Complaining" and start "Campaigning"!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
campaign for Leonel....but ask him to appoint frederic as the finance minister or the Central Bank governor. frederic has some of the better ideas.....including cutting government by at least 33%.....which at this point should be cut at least 50%.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Oh...and by the way....the Central Bank just borrowed a hefty DR$6 Billion (thats billion) in the form of high yielding short term certificates...which they will have to pay back by mid february....good luck!!!!!.....can you say ....... more borrowing....can you say.....where do you think that IMF money is going?.....this is so transparent....it is fuggling funny!!!

aaemet

Nov 11, 2003
Who do we campaign for?

Leonel had his chance.............:disappoin:

Hippo put everyone in the poorhouse.........:devious:

Eduardo is a novice..............:confused:

We aren't getting much of a choice here!

I happen to think that all three can be excellent if they are motivated to do the right thing.

It isn't that hard.

The stupidity of it all is that because they destroyed the whole system by being too greedy, they stopped all decent investments, thus cutting off their own future income from their "commissions." But we vote them in time after time....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Has anyone seen the new Eduardo campaign hoardings? With him waggling his finger at the camera with a 'stern' expression on his face? He is not in danger of winning any Oscars for this ham performance. The caption is on the lines of "the country can't take any more" - can't remember exactly, I was laughing so much at the pathetic photo.

Chiri

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Leonel Had His Chance"...and was doing a good job!!!

Too bad he didn't have 4 more years!! The things he did to improve the infrastructure of the country are having positive effects today!
To bad he will have to inherit a "Basket Case Economy" from the "PRD".
I pray that he is re-elected! Only chance for survival in the DR!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: "Leonel Had His Chance"...and was doing a good job!!!

Criss Colon said:
Too bad he didn't have 4 more years!! The things he did to improve the infrastructure of the country are having positive effects today!
To bad he will have to inherit a "Basket Case Economy" from the "PRD".
I pray that he is re-elected! Only chance for survival in the DR!

That's what I would tell people when I was living down there. He was building for the future with the programs and laws that were put into place. If you had to go to public school over there in the last 8 years you would see the change.............schools were the first to be affected, since salaries were increased and teachers were a bit happier except for the UASD professors who paid kids to act up and protest:mad: