Six years ago today.....Has anything changed?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Gringo

If one reads Dominican history, one finds constant repitition of events from the begining!

All we are seeing today is a repeat of the past.

All the revolutionaries of the past have one thing in common....To gain power so they can reap the harvest of government corruption.

Democratic elections may be held, but have no meaning to the parties so elected. They have been given carte blanche by the ignorant public who believed their false promises and they do the same thing over and over and over, ad infinitum.

Let's just go with the flow and if a shooting revolution breaks out, hope that we don't get "lead poisioning" in the process.

BTW, the document cited reads a lot like the "Communist Manifesto" from which it was derived. Other documents in the same index held almost direct quotes. The far left nnever gives up and keeps beating the same dead horse over and over.

Texas Bill

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Texas Bill said:

If one reads Dominican history, one finds constant repitition of events from the begining!

So true. I have just read Frank Moya Pons Dominican History and it is uncanny. Not just the recent history (70s and 80s) where things went pear-shaped under Balaguer and the previous PRD administrations, but the late 19th century tales of economic mismanagement, debt, inflation, etc.

History is there to teach us not to repeat our mistakes!

Chiri

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Dominican Babe;

One can only learn true history if one is exposed to it and subsequently reads between the lines in the "history books".

History can be a highly informative and entertaining subject only if it is presented in such a manner to make it so. Most history "teachers" don't do that. Instead they present history as a series of dates associated with highly visible events and totally disregard the circumstances leading up to those events.
In view of the above, it's no wonder that many students find history a very boring subject and relegate it to a low priority on the learning agenda.

Texas Bill

Sep 20, 2003
does anyone n the forum know how history is taught in dominican schools. i mean, how is trujillo portrayed? how about the rule of balanguer and juan bosch?

are the public school history books ever rewritten when new presidents enter office?

do the public school books blame the DR's problems on outsiders(like the US) or does it actually spread the blame among dominicans throughout history? is it ever critical of DR's leadership mistakes or are the books written with more interest in patriotism instead?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think Hillbilly could best answer that question, since he teaches History at the University in Santiago.

Luis, hope I'm not putting you to any denegrative remarks by other posters.

Texas Bill

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I too hope HB will share this information with us.

In the meantime here's something from me: I remember once leafing through a Dominican high school history book and thought it was quite a lively depiction of history - illustrated, with different types of exercises and activities for the student. I am old enough to have been taught history in a more traditional way with lots of tedious dense text, so my impression was that this was a more engaging way of bringing history alive.

I don't remember so much about the slant or bias (if any) but I was put off by a ludicrous statement by the author at the end of the book. Something really trite along the lines of "good things and bad things happen but at the end of the day it's love that counts". You may scoff and say "no way". If only! I'd love to discover that I imagined the whole thing.

Chiri

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
It would appear that the author was trying to inject a bit of "Christian" philosophy into the material. Evidently, he wasn't as successful as he wanted to be since the statement had the effect of being ludicrous and self serving.

Texas Bill