Midwestern twister forecast to touch down in Santiago on Monday

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
OK, that was a deliberate attempt to get your attention with hyperbole and double entendre and I am profoundly ashamed for having stooped so low (although my aim is to stoop much, much lower in the next two weeks). I will be in the DR from Nov 17 until Dec 1 and my number one objective is to meet as many of you wonderful people as possible and have as much fun as a human being can have without all the conveniences that electricity can provide.

When I get a phone number where you can reach me, I?ll post it. Don?t be shy. I?m up for just about anything and like any real hoosier midwest gringo, I?ll have more dollars than sense and no real reason to behave. If anybody knows where I could see the Rugby World Cup final which I think is pay-per-view only, or the Major League Soccer (USA) cup final on ABC network, PM me or reply here. Other than those two events, I will try to focus on soaking up the cultural and social milieu, ignoring the world outside for the most part.

My tentative plans are to be in Santiago from Nov 17 till Nov 22 or 23. In Santo Domingo after that until the 26th. In Sosua for the thanksgiving party and weekend and then back to Santiago. Everything is subject to change without notice. Don?t be strangers. I look forward to meeting you all.

st louis Mike

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mike,
I'm meeting some people at Rocky's for lunch at 1pm on the 26th. Hope you can make that or see you on the 27th.

GringoDiablo

Nov 8, 2003
Santiago?

Hey Mike, I will be down from Nov.24 untill Jan. I'll be "camped" out of Sosua but will take alot of side trips, maybe we could get together.
I've been to Santiago once and would deffinately like to go again since AZB and many others rave about the woman so much!Where will you be staying? I was thinking of a couple nights at Camp David.
Well I'll be at the Bash, Santiago would be good after that.

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Pretty sure I'm staying at the Colonial

Stayed at Camp David last time, and while I really like the place a lot, especially the view at night and the restaurant, it's just too far out of town--spent too much on taxis.
I have my sponsored children to visit during the day (there are other posts about that subject) but will have evenings free. Itching to sample more of the night life. Live music would nice if available, cold Presidentes, maybe a dance floor. My tastes are pretty simple.
SLM

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Re: Mike

Hlywud said:
We will be in sosua on the 20th, HB's on the 21st, hope we can meet up.

I will definitely be at or near HB's on Friday as well. Is there a party?? (don't wanna be a crasher....)

SLM

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry but no cigars for you guys.

If you guys are looking to meet young girls then why in the hell would you want to stay in Camp david? Its far up the hill and away from all the action. Its a place for lovers or old folks.
The action (whats left of it) is in the city. Unfortunately many visiting folks end up with the same trash they find in sosua. Majority of tourist come to santiago and end up going to whore houses and car washes and mingle with the same trash many foreigners seem to rave about in sosua / cabarete area. In that sense, stay in the noth coast, there is nothing in santiago for you.
Now if you like to meet the real santiagueras then make sure you speak spanish and have a good sense of humor (no gringo humor). Then you would have to be living here to get their attention. Many decent santiagueras don't go for traveling tourists who are simply passing by. The santiago guys are not as ugly and slimy as the sankies in the north coast. Many santiago guys are young, good looking with money and style. So you guys would have to go up against them as well. Yes, money helps but I find most gringos have no idea how to dress up. They all walk around in shorts or sneakers (worse slippers). They wear T-shirts at night over jeans and sneakers. I mean, where is your sense of style? Santiagueras like to see a man well dressed and well presented. They also prefer to take them out to expensive places and actually be able to dance with them. If you are the type who dances like a robot, then you will not only embarrass the girl, but be the dancing clown of the whole dance floor as well.
Having said all that, I say many visiting foreigners have zero - non chances of picking up a decent educated santiaguera.
if you do happen to run into a girl who falls for you, I gurantee she will be a chopa and a part time hooker.

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, AZB, for the advice

Fact is, when I'm "in country" as they say, I dress the part. No jeans, sneakers or T-shirts for this gringo. Short-sleeve dress shirt, slacks and shined leather shoes.
My spanish isn't perfect by any means, but I can carry on a conversation. I'm a ways away from trying to tell a joke, I have to admit. Maybe I can rely on my natural charm ;)
So, then, where to go?
Inquiring mind want to know.
SLM

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Start with the Ahi-bar near the manumento (non rainy nights) after a few drinks and watching a few girls, walk over to "quejote" (not sure of the spelling) . Its a dance bar right in front of Ahi-bar; i mean you can shoot a spit ball at their entrance from where you are sitting in ahi-bar. If you are hungry, eat "ahi-bar fillete Mignon" with creamy mushroom sauce.
If you like to meet beautiful girls, go hang out in front of the entrance of Utesa University and have a few beers in the bar upstairs (forgot the name). Just walk inside the university and talk to young friendly girls. Chances are some one will stop you and start talking. The time frame is 7-9pm weekdays.
In the day time, walk up and down calle del sol and the turn on san luis street (side of the mcdonalds) to go near the university there "O&M". There is alot of action there in the evenings.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
oh mikey

You know what I have planned here for you! You can plan for stuff but the things that just happen are so much better. Can't wait til your here! I don't know where to pick up the ladies like our seasoned friends here but I know what I like to do and love to share my little part of my island with you!!
See you soon Buddy!!!