Help with cell phones in DR

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
If anyone can help me with general information about which phones can be activated in DR. Someone wants to send a cell phone over there and they want to know if just about any phone will work over there like sprint phones or whatever. Please, let me know as soon as possible. Thanks...........

DR_DEFENDER

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Ok now...I know you guys can help me out with this information. It is really important and I would really appreciated if someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Easier to Buy One

DR_DEFENDER said:
Ok now...I know you guys can help me out with this information. It is really important and I would really appreciated if someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

There have been, roughly 1,000 posts on this subject, the last one in the last two days.

You can BUY a Orange phone for as little as RD$900 (when the peso was around 32 or so) , so figure less than US$30, with a local number and RD$100 included in call time, even programmed in English (the display and the customer service voice prompts).

If you need a phone to phone people, which is what they were designed to do, (vs. play MP3 songs and take photos) this is by and large easier than trying to bring in a US phone figure out the frequency and network protocol, and find someone to activate it which in some cases means unlocking it etc., and much much better than roaming no matter who your cell company is.

They are so cheap that for one time use on a trip you can leave it behind as a gift for the maid or a friend etc., and the cost is next to nothing. I don't thinkanyone even bothers to try to rent phones out anymore they are so cheap.