Visiting Victoria Resort, Playa Dorada - Should I stay or should I go??

johncunningham

Nov 14, 2003
Hello to all you obviously good people here...

I will be visiting the DR for the first time on the 23rd nov. for 2 weeks, and staying at the Victoria Resort, Playa Dorada.

I'd just like to ask you all if there is anything we shouldn't miss, things to do and place to go see, eat at etc?

My fiance and I don't drive, so pointers on reputable driven guides etc. would be a plus!

We're coming in from London, UK.

Many thanks in advance!

John & Seleena.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Victoria Resort

John;

I am amazed that you have not received any responses as of yet!

Anyway, that being said...we are also travelling to the Playa Doarado complex in January of this year...so please pass along any advice after you return!

With regards to your question....
When we are in the DR, we usually book our "day trips" through the tour company reps at the resorts.
They will have a lot of different excursions to offer....of which I can only inform you of the ones we looked at last time we were there.

My wife went on a horseback riding tour, which she quite enjoyed...and all of us went on an excursion called "Dominican Discovery", which I might ad was amazing!
If you go on this tour...make sure to ask to be with guide Kelly...very personable, and makes you feel at home...in the DR.

The trips will generally pick you up at the resort at a specified time...and drop you back off.

You can also arrange for taxi's at the resorts, and be sure to barter, or agree upon a fee prior to your adventure (every trip in a vehicle there is just that...hold on tight!).

Sasua Beach is a good way to spend the day, at the flee market strip...ar relaxing on the beach...or checking out the loccal flavour!

I hope this will help somewhat...but I am sure that there are a lot of people who know a heck of a lot more than I, as I post here quite often myself...but I thought I would help you out a bit>

Cheers
Jimmy

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
The Playa Dorada resort complex is very nice. My wife and I stayed there last year. We will be returning in January, this time staying in Sosua. If you want to experience the Dominican Republic you have to venture out from the resorts. Be sure to visit Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete. The taxi?s from the resort complex are quite pricy compared to the guagua or Publico (transportation the locals use). Always agree on the price before using them. Maybe someone out there can give you an update on transportation costs. Enjoy your vacation!

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
www.coralbayrealestate.com
We stayed at the Victoria for a couple of weeks in July while we were sorting out problems on our house. A bit calmer that rest of the resort hotels (better in my opinion...depends what you like).

Things to do and see:

-Snorkelling in Sosua bay
-Mini Amphib bookable from any agent in Dorado resort
-Quad biking from the Sea Grapes area in to the mountains (hills??) and then down to the beach. Great fun if it has been raining.
-For a very Caribbean beach / setting and great beach food, go to Playa Calatone. Other side of Rio San Juan (not sure how you would get their by public transport...)
-Don't taken a guided tour of Puerto Plata from the resort. Take a taxi in to town and walk around. As you will be wearing wrist bands, "official" tour guides in blue tee-shirts will befriend you and show you around. A lot cheaper than a guided tour and you have the flexibility to go at your own pace.
-Windsurfing in Cabarete (free in Playa Dorado for you as well sailing and other "non-motorised sports".

Give me an idea of what you're looking for e.g. beaches / hiking / scenery and I'll try to give you some more pointers. The Mrs's and I have done nearly every tour / destination in the last 3 months.

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
We stayed at the Victoria Resort just before we moved here. It was fine clean and tidy very nice staff ( be sure to say hola to Jose Angel, very good barman, and good friend since we moved here)
There are always taxis waiting to take you wherever you need to go most of them seem to be hotel approved!! Try to get out and about if you can, its good to see real life. Cabarete is a must!!
Enjoy your holiday.
Kim & Paul

Dec 9, 2002
Take a trip up the mountain on the cable car - make sure you go on a clear morning though. Go on one of the catamaran trips, they take you to Sosua, snorkelling, feeding the fish - it's a really good day out. The horse riding is excellent too.

I am also flying out from Gatwick on Sunday, which flight are you on?

laura h

Oct 1, 2003
all off the trips on offer are worth doing - i loved the jeep safari where you get to climb 7 waterfulls and come back down. the views are stunning.

one good tip though is to go to the Plaza on the playa dorada complex and book your trips there. they are about half the price of that of the reps ( who advise you not to go outside as its not safe and your not insured - dont believe them its crap- theyre on commission) you get a better service outside, are looked after, all inclusive means as much as you can drink however often you like and the cups arnt like thimbles! the boat trips are usually less cramped too. The more trips you book the cheeper they get.

you cant fail to have a good time......

have fun !