Jorge Ramos ridicules Dominican press

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Jorge Ramos' interview of Hipolito Mejia has turned into a journalistic lecture to Dominican journalists, show hosts, political writers and media wizzards. It took a Mexican-American to tell it like it is to Hippo. 99% of our media was scared stiff to even touch the subject of the interview, much less interview Hippo with such professionalism and courage.

It wasn't until last night at the "Chevere Nights" show that the full video of the interview was made public with a phone interview of Ramos, who answered every question posed to him just as fluently as he conducted, or better yet manhandled "El Bravo de Gurabo" and made himlook like a sissy.

Just to give you an idea of how unprepared our journalists are in comparison to Ramos, Koldo, the El Nacional columnist for Kronocopiando attacked Jorge Ramos in yesterday's column. But he laid just as big an egg as Hipolito by accusing Ramos of not asking or directing tough interviews and articles on George Bush.

Apparently our journalists just don't read enough and do not keep up to date. It just happens that Ramos precisely went on the offensive against Bush's Irak policies in a report called:"Bush fuerte Prensa Debil" on August 8,2003, where he deplored the press' weak position on Bush' reasons for his Irak policy.

Our press should take a lesson from Jorge Ramos.

TW

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What I noticed was that there was a long time lapse between the broadcast of the interview and the reaction in the Dominican Republic. With the noble exception of DR1 where there was an instant reaction in the forums. I asked people about it and they said they hadn't heard anything. Then there was a mention in El Caribe the other day and the press began to pick up on it. Also, several e-mails have been circulating with a link to the interview.

I haven't seen it BTW, my PC is not up to it.

Chiri

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Remember the two Radio guys from Monti Cristi?

They held the mock "Election" betweem "Hipolito" and the "Devil"(Devil Won!) What happened to them??? (Arrested,locked up!)It is a little easier for a Mexican Journalist ,living and working,in the USA to ask probing ,embarassing,questions.He won't end up in the "Slammer" ,all expenses paid by his "H"ness! There is freedom of the Press in the DR,as long as you don't piss off the "Pope".If you do, the "PRESS" goes to jail,and its "FREE"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Would you like to join a group call "The Lost Journalist Club"?????It has quite a history!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Every time I read an on-line Dominican newspaper....one thought always comes to mind....have these journalists ever met a run-on sentence they didn't like?

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Golo,

Reporters like Ramos have a very different education and experience than our typical 'tumba polvo' reporters. 99.9% of all Dominican journalist suffer from partiality, poor education and ignorance. They report stories not based on the facts but based on what best suits their political agenda. I have encountered columns in the newspapers that I have to read 2-3 times and usually find errors of all sorts grammatical, geographical, historical, you name it. Reporters here generally do not dig before chasing a story, most interviews are carried in a superficial manner concerning a specific case, but what about background and related information. The only information they care to present is that that best suits their cause. And this is not new, this goes way back to the "martyr" journalists of the 60's and 70's to the ass kissers during the 40's and 50's era of Trujillo.

The current press secretary, Luis Gonzalez Fabra, is a Harvard graduate and has the toughest job in government, cleaning up after the hippster. all his talent put to the use of a political section of the PRD and eclipsed by a government that can't govern, a complete waste of talent. What about Cesar Medina, H.Lora and Julito Hazim? I wouldn't believe anything they say even if they where reading it off the BBC web page. And Martinez Pozo and Alvaro Arvelo, I am not even going to comment on. The only ones that can make a good interview are Miguel Guerrero in CDN and the guys at Diario Libre.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Here's what Ramos had to say about Bush

This is just to prove Jorge Ramos is no chickenshit, like Kronocopiando and the rest of Dominican journalists think. Hippo was not match, so wasn't Bush:
"MIAMI, Florida - Acabo de regresar de Europa y no deja de sorprenderme la forma tan distinta en que son tratados por la prensa el primer ministro brit?nico, Tony Blair, y el presidente estadounidense, George W. Bush.

"Intocable" por los medios

La prensa europea, en general, y la brit?nica en particular, han destrozado a Blair por mentir, exagerar y decir verdades a medias antes de la guerra contra Irak. En cambio, la prensa estadounidense sigue tratando a Bush con guantes de seda y no se atreve a atacarlo.

?Por qu? esa diferencia de trato si ambos utilizaron informaci?n falsa y equivocada para justificar la guerra contra Irak?

En su af?n de sacar a Saddam Hussein del poder, tanto Bush como Blair dijeron cosas que no eran ciertas.

La misma Casa Blanca ya reconoci? que era una mentira la frase que pronunci? Bush (en su ?ltimo informe sobre el Estado de la Uni?n) respecto al supuesto intento de Hussein de comprar uranio de Africa para crear bombas nucleares.

Acusaciones por comprobar

Tampoco son ciertas las sugerencias de que Hussein estuvo involucrado con los actos terroristas del 11 de septiembre del 2001.

Y, hasta el momento, no se han encontrado las miles de toneladas de armas de destrucci?n masiva que, de acuerdo con los gobiernos brit?nico y estadounidense, Hussein escond?a antes de la guerra.

No quiero ni puedo defender a Hussein, un despreciable y degenerado ex dictador responsable de miles de muertes.

Pero s? es importante aclarar que ninguna de las razones por las que se comenz? la guerra contra Irak -y por las que han muerto miles de iraqu?es y cientos de soldados estadounidenses y brit?nicos- se han podido comprobar.

Por eso los periodistas europeos est?n criticando tanto a Blair. Por eso s?lo uno de cada tres ingleses apoya a Blair. Por eso el primer ministro, que tom? posesi?n en 1997, pudiera perder su puesto ante la oposici?n de los Tories.

A Bush, como un buen sart?n de tefl?n, no se le pegan las manchas. La popularidad de Bush tambi?n ha bajado pero a?n goza de un saludable 55 por ciento de aprobaci?n seg?n un par de encuestas.

?Por qu? las mismas cr?ticas que est?n poniendo en peligro al gobierno de Blair no est?n afectando a Bush?; ?Por qu? la prensa estadounidense no se ha atrevido a criticar a su presidente de la misma forma en que la inglesa lo ha hecho con su primer ministro?

Creo que la gran diferencia tiene que ver con el 11 de septiembre del 2001. Tras los actos terroristas que ocasionaron la muerte de m?s de 3 mil personas, los estadounidenses -incluyendo a sus periodistas- sienten que apoyar a su presidente es una forma de apoyar, tambi?n, a su pa?s.

Conozco a varios pol?ticos, reporteros y columnistas que no se atreven a criticar a Bush por temor de ser calificados de "traidores", "antipatriotas" o "antinorteamericanos".

Una justificaci?n poco v?lida

E incluso ante la evidencia de que las justificaciones dadas por Bush para iniciar la guerra no eran v?lidas, hay una enorme resistencia para criticar al presidente.

No he visto, escuchado o le?do ni una sola entrevista dura con el presidente Bush. Ni una. Ning?n periodista estadounidense quiere que lo acusen de estar del lado de los terroristas.

En cambio, la prensa y los parlamentarios ingleses -haciendo caso omiso de las consecuencias- no dejan de denunciar los errores y las contradicciones de Blair.

La actitud de escepticismo de la BBC no es la misma que la de ABC, NBC, CBS o CNN.

No se trata de censura. Se trata, en algunos casos, de autocensura. En las salas de redacci?n se siente la presi?n para pensarlo dos veces antes de criticar a Bush y, por asociaci?n, a Estados Unidos.

"?C?mo te atreves a hablar as? de Bush y de su gobierno despu?s de lo que pas? en las Torres Gemelas de Nueva York y en el Pent?gono?", he escuchado varias veces.

Ese constante e imparable cuestionamiento que caracteriza al buen periodismo en momentos de crisis -a Nixon durante Watergate, a Reagan durante el esc?ndalo Ir?n-Contras, a Bush padre por la situaci?n econ?mica del pa?s y a Clinton durante su affair con M?nica Lewinsky- ha estado ausente durante la presidencia de "W".

Es cierto, los actos terroristas del 9/11 ocurrieron en Estados Unidos y no en Gran Breta?a, y por eso es m?s f?cil para la oposici?n y la prensa brit?nica cuestionar a Blair que para los pol?ticos dem?cratas y los periodistas estadounidenses hacerlo con Bush.

Una prensa d?bil y temerosa

Pero, de todas maneras, una prensa d?bil, temerosa y cuidadosa en Estados Unidos ha permitido que Bush se mantenga fuerte. Tras el 9/11, Bush se ha querido envolver en un manto de infalibilidad que, hasta el momento, nadie -ni la prensa- le ha podido arrebatar.

A Bush no le ha afectado seriamente un reporte congresional de 900 p?ginas que asegura que los servicios de inteligencia (CIA, FBI, etc?tera) bajo su mando no detectaron a tiempo la amenaza terroristas que representaba Osama ben Laden y su organizaci?n Al Qaeda.

A Bush tampoco lo han perjudicado como a Blair las cr?ticas de que exager? -o, en el peor de los casos, invent?- las razones para apresurar una guerra contra Irak.

Los actos del 11 de septiembre del 2001 le han dado a Bush una especie de inmunidad ante la prensa y el p?blico estadounidense. Pero la pregunta es ?cu?nto tiempo m?s le va a durar?

La respuesta habr? que esperarla hasta las elecciones presidenciales del 2 de noviembre del 2004."

TW

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
That was a pretty good interview. What a pathetic human being...
I loved that the cameras were still rolling at the end when he calls its opponents homosexuals and the cameraman a monkey because he is black...Classic Hippo.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Maybe one can argue that, like all other institutions in the Dominican Republic, the press is plagued by corruption.

In a way, the press has been an enabler to the current administration's dysfunction. Shame on them. A vibrant democracy needs a free and independent thinking press. But is obvious that most established journalists have put their economic interests before the interests of the people and the country.

Its such a paradox that the PRD, the party that supposedly fought so hard for democracy, has been instrumental in dismantling it little by little. When you are successful in intimidating the press, you ceased having a viable democracy. Just because you elect people it does not mean you have a democracy.

Where have the Orlando Martinezes gone? I guess they are more worried about their jeepetas than La Patria.

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
The practice of "Yellow Page" journalism has an overwhelmingly supportive audience in the DR.
Is it any wonder that the "journalists" write the way they do??
They're only interested in their "Macho" image with the buying public, not in the ethical aspects of their "profession".

Texas Bill

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
hippo and his stooges stick their foot in their mouth again!

As if I could almost guessed it, Hippos reply to Jorge Ramos could not wait. He sent his mouthpiece Gonzalez Fabra, information minister to "Chevere Nights" program and told Milagros German, the hostess, that "Jorge Ramos is a liar and an embarrassment to his profession and that he is sorry to have become a journalist knwing that Ramos is also a journalist". Fabras continue to say that it is not true that Hippo knew he was being taped when he said the two least inoffensive things in the entire interview, and that the whole thing was a trap. Yet Fabras was satisfied with the rest of the interview. He claims there was nothing wrong with the main part of it., but what he and Hippo objected was the post interview thing.

However, the most damning things took place during the interview. There is also no denying that our own Dominican "monito", as Hippo called him, was in the process of taping while Hippo talked. Fabra claims a foreign cameraman brought in by Ramos was responsible for the post-interview tape. Ramos had no reason to do that since "el monito" Carmona, who is also a Univison cameraman and reporter was there with his camera in full swing.

Since Hippo claims Carmona is his good friend, all he has to do is ask Carmona to reveal his own tape to see if it was different than the so-called foreign man tape.

But the most important thing is that Hippo has now opened pandoras box. He keeps the issue alive. He will force more taping to come out, which will include his famous Jarabacoa and San Cristobal mansions. He will create a new and very dangerous opponent(Jorge Ramos). Ramos is the last person a man with so little sophistication as Hippo could wish at a moment like this.

Hippo has ran into Hatuey, Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez, Leonel, Eury Cabral, Asela Lamarche and is having many bad days with this bunch. But with Ramos he is headed straight to hell. Ramos is like the Latin American pope of journalism. This guy is so popular that Bush and Gore tried to get him on their side for the Latin vote in the last elections, despite having ran into him in very tough interviews. Hippo has laid another rock in his minefield towards re-election. No brains at all.

May I suggest an apology, or just forget about Ramos. Otherwise, we will be here waiting for the slaughter and the laughter. Dont miss more fireworks tonight on Nuria at 9pm on Channel 9. Ramos is now the darling of the TV night shows and the Am/fm champion.

TW

TW

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Just saw the interview....Some people might have gasped and said "ofr?zcome mi papa Dios y virgen de la Altagracia!"....Amazing. Any freudian would have a field day with Hippo's thought process. The man is in a regressed form, with no mental filters at all. A 'cro-magnon lite' type of brain structure. Retrograde in every possible way. Macho cowboy with a huge chip on his shoulder (which reveals quite a bit about his inner insecurities). The man is simply the pathetic caricature of an individual who is both narcissitic and stupid. The dude is a shame. Ramos could've gotten away with a much harsher editorial line. He had mercy. He even gave camera time to Hippo supporters, idiots like the man with the hat and his car full of PPH stickers. No help there. Just further audiovisual confirmation that people who vote aren't necessarily up to speed with what this gang is doing to hurt the economy, to embarass the nation, and to endanger national sovereignty. I hope things are not headed towards a Chavez-style institutional crisis. I hope voters do not ignore the dangers that this species in the presidential palace represents to their future.

With regards to the dominican press: what press? Local media are propaganda vehicles for the politicos and oligarchs. In print media, poorly written reports and opinion pieces are the norm, with very few exceptions. Grammatical, as well as typographical errors and mislabeling of pictures are par for the course. And they never bother to publish a record of these errors. Reporters are formulaic and crude. Content is typically superficial and biased but pretentious of being deep and objective. The constant lamboner?a is blatant and humilliating. Where are the independent, progressive thinkers of the DR?..... I know you're out there. Public disourse in the DR, as showcased in its own media outlets, lacks well formulated ideas, principled activism, intellectual curiosity. Irreverence and ad hominem attacks are not the sole privilege of the Hippo, many other public figures share his ultra bad taste style of communication. "La plebe indisciplinada" is ruling, I mean ruining, the country.

tordok

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
This isn't a yes/no kind of thing.

For the past week I've only heard people pulling at both ends of the same rope: Either Dominican journalists are dolts who will never produce a piece of news that could hold a candle to "Ramos' Masterpiece" and there is little freedom of speech in the DR; or Ramos is big giant poopy head and things here are hunky dory. I can't side with either team.

If there is no freedom of press in DR, then where did Univisi?n get all that footage of the journalists sit-down? Where did the footage from the Mass at Santiago come from? Which one of us was surprised to learn for the first time of the Hip?lito vs El Diablo polls, and the erratic outcome to that story? Which Dominican news outlet shied away from any of these stories, plus countless others?

There are, however, various degrees of censorship in DR; sometimes self-imposed, sometimes through swift and wrongful action of police authorities. Journalists continually rush up to Hip?lito himself and ask the harshest questions. You can see this happen on TV everytime; the lowliest journalists with nothing to lose ask and say what their bosses are too afraid to repeat in print. Editors hardly ever consolidate these situations into a strong critical approach (self-censored). Other times, such as the El Diablo poll, the police is quick to arrest journalists, hoping to defuse the situation. While these people have little to fear in the long run (I concede that this point is arguable), the tactics used by the PN to put out the fires are brutish, and ocasionally tragic.

Last week, I was very happy to see the Ramos' interview. I still think it's a total train wreck for the PPH administration. However, I never thought then that Ramos had been a genius, or a superb journalist for putting that piece together. Credit should go to Hip?lito for digging his own grave. When Ramos asks "Is there freedom of speech?" he's far from being agressive. But when Hip?lito replies "Nobody has died so far", he commits a terrible blunder. Rinse and repeat, this happens constantly during the footage. A quick browse through Ramos's website confirmed me that he isn't, in my view, the superb pundit that half the people are claiming he is. He's good, but a little too patronizing for my tastes. I still prefer Diario Libre's articles, especially the editorial bit on the last page, "De buena tinta". Also, the work of Bernardo Vega while he ran El Caribe is worthy of praise, and even papers that swing their support constantly depending on their bank statement (List?n Diario, I'm looking at you!) have been frank and open now and countless times in the past.

However, the response of most of the Dominican media has been ridiculous. They're in a panic, denying everything about the interview, instead of pointing out "bah, we covered that ages ago!". This is the worst reaction possible, in my opinion. It makes us look like lackeys, when in fact public dissent is very high now. This is a very sad aftermath to last week's inspired revelations. The struggle of many brave and thorough journalists has been sabotaged by the knee-jerk response of their very own inferior colleagues.

I'll spare you from further speculations, what with it being lunch time and all.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
An Evil, that was an interesting evaluation of the Dominican media. I would agree that it has high and low points.

There is some good analysis and ironic humour in many of the opinion columns across the press. There is some good investigative journalism, especially on TV, but also in magazines like Rumbo, and in El Caribe. There is very little gossip and nonsense, a refreshing change from the press in other countries I am familiar with. Diario Libre is succinct and often dares to criticise where others don't.

Low points for me are the sycophants, the pointless verbosity and the plain ignorance of some journalists. Take today's editorial in El Nacional, where he mentions Saturday's synagogue bombings in Istanbul - only he refers to them as mosques. Tell me that the editor of a national newspaper knows the difference between a mosque and a synagogue!

I still think the reaction to the Univision interview has been limp and lukewarm. A notable exception is David Alvarez Martin in today's El Caribe who sums it all up quite well. Monos y Mudos

Chiri

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
Chiri, thanks for the comments.

By the way, that link you posted leads to a column by Luz D?az Rodr?guez about the Penal Reforms. I can't find the one you mention. Help, please.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, I know, it seems that the URL is for the opinion column in that slot and it changes every day. I tried the search function on the website but no success, so I e-mailed the editor to ask for the URL or the text of the article. I will let you know how I get on.

Chiri