santiago_2.jpg

santiago_3.jpg

santiago_4.jpg

santiago_5.jpg

santiago_6.jpg

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
It must really be flooded in the area near the cemetary.

It must be an absolute disaster in the arroyos where poor people still live. Talk about a flood plain.

I know one family in particular, living in an arroyo, who had just gotten new appliances several years ago. They sacrified tremendously to afford them, of course. Then, when the river flooded and backed up into the arroyo, all the appliances were shorted out and completely destroyed.

Of course now, with the power off so much, that part might not be as risky. Still, they have to be careful not to be trapped by the flash floods.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Anyone out in this water Friday was having a "ball".....

Glad to be in position to take some pics.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Trying Not to do Johnny Magpie's Shtick ...

Just got off the phone with Alba. She went back to Santiago with the tribe yesterday. She said she made it to the bus terminal there but no taxi would take her from there to our house by any route due to flooding. So she went back to Esperanza for the night instead.

She told me that she had heard a bridge washed out in Gurabito? It caused major damage and she believes many people may have lost there lives there?

Take that with a grain of salt. I am only passing along what she heard. Those pictures Rob posted, at least the ones I recognize, were of areas that I would not have expected to see flooding. So, having lived in that general area, in Cerro Alto, I can imagine how water in a big rain would funnel down that valley. I have to imagine. It hardly ever rained while I lived in Santiago full time!

Tom (aka XR)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There were the heaviest rains in a very long time

Most of the problem was due to the fact that it has been raining ofr nearly a week. Pretty constantly. this is not normal, but most welcome, except that the storm drains are not kept up.

And with the reservoirs filling up to over capacity, the engineers have been opening up the flood gates and the low-laying areas are going under water. Time and time again governments after governments have told the people not to build their hovels there but once again the government will have to put them up in public buildings--generally speaking they use sports facilities--

Great pics, DMS!!

Alba, why not call me??

HB

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, solar flares, astronomy events...
What's this world coming to?
mk

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
... Yeah! Canada, eh!

You're right, HB. I think the 7 days of rain was the main problem. Not a lot each day here, 1/2" to 2-1/2" daily. But, the ground was saturated. No where else for the rainwater to go after awhile except to run off into the streets and rivers. Albs continues very sad in Santiago for all the folks who lost their 'hovels' and have no place else to go. It's stupid to build there. But I can't say anything. Whole cities in the U.S. have been relocated because folks build towns in the flood plains of rivers like the Ohio or Mississippi. Just a bit more dramatic here when you see the shanty's perched precariously on the rocks a few feet above the water but a dozen feet or more below the street. You just knew they'd be in trouble sooner rather than later. One really good example of an instance where the government really ought to enforce the law - about not building there. And I am not a big government fan.

Tom (aka XR)