Flooding - What happened to my house?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Supplied by Peter & Alex, thanks!

A couple of before and after shots of a friend's property and some of the Campo!
It's a mess from Islabon to Sabaneta!

Islabon_1.jpg

Islabon_2.jpg

Islabon_3.jpg

Islabon_4.jpg

Islabon_5.jpg

Islabon_6.jpg

Islabon_7.jpg

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
When???

All happened two days ago - Rio Yasica rose 12 to 14 feet overnight!!!
Thankfully it has now dropped again and my friends are cleaning up!!
Many houses in the campo around Islabon and Sabaneta were totally flooded and many people will have lost lots of their wordly goods!!
It can stop raining now - but we hear there's more to come?
Peter

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
yes.. there will be more..

here is the actual tropical weather outlook:
Statement as of 11:30 am EST on November 17, 2003

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico...
A weak low pressure area in the vicinity of Puerto Rico is moving
westward. Significant development is not likely. However...this
system has the potential to produce locally heavy rainfall over
portions of Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic during the next day or so. For additional information on conditions in your
area...consult statements issued by your local weather service
office.
Elsewhere...tropical storm formation is not expected through
Tuesday.
Forecaster Pasch

so.. no tropical storm or winds, but lots lots rain within the next days.
I have seen this houses in Islabon last saturday, it's incredible. Poor people there.

quaqualita

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Hey Pete
did I mention the copyright on my gazebo pics???
I'll expect a cheque soon

Glad to report all OK, no damage, gazebo still standing despite having a 15 foot tree wedged into it, the lights even still work, lots of mud but it's really good for the garden and the dogs love rolling in it.
No other damage to properties or possesions lost in our little village.
Thomas says hi and next time bring your mop not just the frickin camera!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Sorry for those of you in the North

The weather in S.D. has been incredible.

Constant strong breeze, gusts that must be up to 30 mph.

Very rarely is the weather moving west as per the norm, almost all clouds are racing due south.

Massive thunderhead and lightning show off the shore this evening. It sucked all the clouds right off the land and they were racing by out to sea.

If this keeps up, I may have to sew the sleeves back on.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sun trying to peek through

But it rained all last night, solid. Still a drizzle and the clouds are saying that more is coming.

Major flooding in the lower Yaque. I can imagine some of the rice and banana areas...

While it is lovely to get the rain, there is always a down side, and that is the farm sector that will be affected--cacao producers will have to fight molds, and the banana folks will be fighting fungus called Sigatoka...Coffee people will see less of a crop..

Rain rain go away.....for a month at least! Please.

Man, what impressive photos...WOW!!

HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
In all the years I have never seen this much

rain. Even when there was a hurricane that passed and we got the tail on the north coast.

Went to Santiago yesterday with my buddy Alanindr to shop for materials for our new condos. Went through Moca because the fastest way (over the mountain) (Shut up X) I heard was closed because of slides. Going back just before Moca these dopes had a protest burning tires and trees in the road in the rain of course right before my turnoff to Sabeneta. Took us 98 hours of freakin driving going around Moca the other direction. What a clusterfluck city if I have ever seen one. What a mess. I probably could have shoveled the slide myself in the time it took us to return.

It is about 9am here and it looks like more rain. Big surprise, huh?

Escott

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'll be sure to pack my umbrella. It stops raining when I have to lug that around with me. Never fails.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: In all the years I have never seen this much

Escott said:
Went through Moca because the fastest way (over the mountain) (Shut up X) I heard was closed because of slides.
Such disrespect, and in my own forum! Oh well. He does that when he visits, too. I have some upscale velveeta cheese and Italian wine in a cardboard box for you and Robert's next visit to Xanadu City. :: wink :: Just leave the flip flops at home next time and the barbs will be oh so much less easily turned aside. LOL!

For someone who keeps claiming to know faster ways over the mountain it's amazing how many times you keep going back to the route through Sabenta. Hmmmmm.

Tom (aka XR)

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We've just returned from a few days trip to Mao and Guyabin. There are lakes where previously were banana plantations and rice fields. I saw a fellow walk into one banana plantation and only his head was sticking out above the water. The rice fields are flattened (if you can see them above the water). Another person had a boat out between the banana trees.

Serious problems in the agricultural sector in the northern areas.