Paypal in Dominican Republic???

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
Paypal.com say the accept credits card from banks of Dominican Republic...

but they dont...

why????

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Camachosoft ... explain a bit more about what you are trying to do please. Where are your customers? Where do you plan on eventually retrieving the money?

If the business is US, or 1st World based, you can have customers pay you via PayPal. You need a US address for PayPal so you will look like or be a US business as far as they are concerned. Then you can transfer your income to a US account or withdraw it Worldwide with a PayPal ATM/CC, no problem, regardless of which countries are not yet on their list.

If the business is DR DR based and you need to receive payments from Dominicans with Dominican cards, scratch PayPal, or most other 1st Worls card agencies. No addresses here, no verification possibilities in most cases, so unless you have a POS swipe terminal it's a moot point.

Tom (aka XR)

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
So you cannot open a domincan paypal account with a domincan bank account or credit card? A good idea would to have a US PayPal account (requires a credit card with a US billing address and a US bank account) and then have a domincan personal PayPal account. Customer pays your US PayPal account, you pay your domincan PayPal account and can easily withdraw it to your bank account in the Dominican instead of dealing with the funds going into a US Bank account, being wired, or hit with bad currency conversion from the PayPal atm / debit card.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Nope.

At last I checked you can not withdraw anything to a Dominican account. Period. But, U.S. bank accounts are available to non-U.S. residents. So, as I posted, you get a U.S. address, as one from EPS for example, and a U.S. bank account from someone like ISPBANK.NET or a value-stored credit card like from WIREDPLASTIC.COM and then, and only then provide that info to PayPal to set up your U.S.presence. In 3-months you will be able to get a PayPal ATM/Debit card or Credit Card to withdraw yourmoney at any ATM worldwide. Even in the D.R.

Tom (aka XR)

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
Do you have experience with optaining a PayPal debit card this way? I am about 15 days away from trying.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Yes.Just follow the steps above. US Bank account or stored-value credit card, then PayPal account, then 3moslater PayPal debit card.

Have fun!

Tom (aka XR)

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
Thanks for the two links. Do you have any breif information about ISPBank? Also does wiredplastic require you to be a US citizen? I know I can spend 10 minutes on both sites and find out but I prefer to ask here first for personal experiences

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
I already got the US PayPal account, just waiting for the debit card option to show up in 15 days.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I know that ISPBank accepts accounts from non-US citizens, that is people without SS#'s or TID#'s. And they do send saving and checking account ATM cards, and even actual real honest-to-God checkbooks out. Don't remember about WP. They may have asked for a SS#. Don't recall. But it's not necessary anyway if you have the ISP account. Plus, you can always get a TID# later and use that if you really have to have something like the WP.

What you HAVE to have either way is a U.S. address, like one from EPS.

Tom (aka XR)

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
As others have said, you can use Paypal in the Dominican Rep. I currently use it with an US bank account and AMEX card registered in the same bank. Locally, I have been unable to use my Banco Mercantil and Banco Popular Visa Credit Cards with Paypal. However, I have been able to register and use a Popular Bank & Trust Visa Credit Card.

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
Paypal have dominican republic in the list of countries that can use their services, but if you try to use a LOCAL credit card, it will be refused, thats the problem...

I am a buyer and i want to use paypal only to pay, they charge to may international credit card (internanional but emited from a LOCAL bank in DR).

Paypal will not accept a credit card from DR, so... why they have dominican republic in the list of aceptable credit cards???????

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
I guess their list of countries mean places where you can login from. As some people may know there is a great deal of fraud in Indonisia. About a dozen different people emailed me from Indonisia and all of them refused, or stopped contact with me when I asked them to pay by money order or wire transfer

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
It's much more complicated than that

Go back and reread the PayPal info on their site. The DR is on the list, but it's in a second tier of countries that have restrictions on use, and withdrawl. DR companies to not have the same access priveleges as US companies.

Also PayPal is extremely anal about security. To the point of p*ss*ng off their long time customers even at times. So just because you have a credit card, even if it is a US one, does not guarantee that PayPal will be able to verify it to their satisfaction to accept it.

Tom (aka XR)

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Camachosoft, try to get a Popular Bank & Trust credit card (US based ) from BPD. They work with PayPal. Regarding, the others Dominican Credit Cards, as I said, I haven`t been able to use them, but I don`t know if a credit card from BHD or Progreso might work.

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
Yes they do piss off a lot of their customers. The main importance is to treat PayPal as a merchant account. If you haven't had a merchant account before you must know that there are red flags given when things look suspicious. If your a new account and start receiving payments of over $1000.00, you have multiple logins from different IP?s, or your balance is over $5000.00, PayPal's system should automatically raise a red flag, and then review your accounts information to make sure everything is correct and at sometimes (which they have done to me) limit your account, preventing you to send and sometimes receive money, until you fax them your drivers license, utility bill, and credit card statement

I have been limited for the following reason:

Having my account logged in from Russia (Wasn?t me)
Receiving a payment of $2000.00 (I had to PayPal send them shipping documents)
Having a balance of $10,000 (They wouldn?t tell me the reason so I assume it was this)

It?s just a hassle, you fax in your documentation and usually wait up to a week for someone to review it and see everything?s legit.

If thing?s aren?t legit or to their liking, your funds will be frozen for a ?MINIMUM? of 90-180 days.

I have been using PayPal for 3 years now and have matured enough as to take them seriously and haven?t had a problem with them for over a year. It is a great tool and I cannot operate my business without it.

Camachosoft

Nov 18, 2003
Banco del Progreso here have American Express credit cards.

I just want to buy with my paypal account, its more secure and (for example) in EBAY if you dont have paypal forget about buy thing from credit cards emited here in dominican republic banks.

thats the point, a lot of people could use this service for buy stuff.

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
True but be sure to have your dominican address verified if the item your buying is over $100.00 because alot of sellers will not ship internationally or even domestically without a confirmed shipping address