Santiago to Puerto Plata

Sukie

Jun 26, 2002
Hi there. Can someone pls. tell me how long is the ride from Santiago airport to Puerto Plata? Also, how much would a cab cost? Thanks

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
hmmm

Ride from Santiago to Puerto Plata is 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on who is driving, what time of day and whether it is raining or not.

Been awhile since I have taken a taxi... but I imagine a tourist taxi will cost around 800 pesos or so however highly negotiable and if you can find one that is from Puerto Plata that was dropping someone off maybe much cheaper because they have to go back there anyway.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
I got a price of $55.00 US from Martin Espinal from STI to Puerto Plata. That price was for this month.
John

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is there some reason to take a cab all the way? Why not take a cab to the Caribe Tour bus terminal, then take the bus from there to POP. You can easily get a cab in POP to take you to your hotel. Should cut your cost at least in half.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Ken, Do you have any idea how often the buses run to P.P. from Santiago? Is it direct or a "milk" run?
Thanks
John

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Yhe only problem with the buses is if you take the miami flight - you may miss the last metro or caribe bus to get to Puerto Plata. The flight lands at 8:35 or around there, get through customs catch a cab and then make it to the station with hopes the bus does not fill up - you may be cutting it close.

But then again like all things said on this board that is just an opinion.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The buses leave hourly from Santiago for Puerto Plata. It is direct. However, the previous post raises the question of when you are going to arrive. If it is at night, then taxi is probably the only option.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Sukie,

Rather than pay more than 2000 pesos for a taxi to Puerto Plata, you could take one for 200 pesos or so to the Caribe Tours terminal. It is near the main rotunda for buses in Santiago. If Caribe Tours doesn't have a bus going to Puerto Plata, there may be a mini-bus going there. The Espinal bus terminal is also there. It probably has more buses than Caribe Tours anyway.

If all the buses have quit running, then worst case you can stay at Hotel Rotunda for probably 500 pesos. It's pretty good for the price. There's several small restaurants next door. There's also a MacDonald's 2 blocks or so away. There's even a Car Wash a few blocks beyond that.

Since you'll be on vacation anyway, that might even be a nice little diversion - better than arriving at Puerto Plata too late at night to do anything.

If you don't like that option, send me a PM and I can put you in contact with an English speaking taxi driver who would drive you to POP for probably only about 1000 pesos - or will even show you around Santiago.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hahahahaha

Barry said:
Whatever you do don't ask for driving directions.
Barry, you're an expert now! You post you're route and that hairy-backed flip-flop guy from New York and I will critique it!

Tom (aka XR)