First time to DR, Sportfishing ?

CluesGirl

Nov 19, 2003
Hi All,

New here, will be traveling to Puerto Plata Feb 28 - Mar 6.

We are commercial tuna fishermen (well, I am a fisherwoman I suppose!) up here in Massachusetts, USA and are very interested in doing a little catch-and-release sportfishing while in the DR!

I have done a bit of searching on google, but really what I need is some inside information. I would love some info about what is hot in Feb/Mar, some good info on who the good captains are (the ones who love fishing of course!), and which ones to stay away from. Obviously if any have websites that info is welcomed!

I will thank you in advance for any help.

We'll be staying at the Riu Bachata, our third Riu stay but as I said, our first stay in the DR. We are thrilled!! :cool:

Jessica

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Do a DR1 fourm search. me and others have posted much info on Fishing in the DR.

For the type of fishing you are looking for I would suggest the East Coast/Punta Cana Area.

But what do I know? I am a inshore/Fly-fisherman!

CluesGirl

Nov 19, 2003
Thanks Tony -

We already booked the trip so I think it is too late to change without spending more $$ - we are rather "poor" this year with the poor (sorry for the pun) fishing season up here.

How much of a drive would it be to the east coast?
Recommended or not?

I will do a seach on this forum - and thanks again!!

onionhed

Dec 11, 2002
My wife and I went out w/ a charter in Puerto Plata last Feb. There was about ten people n the boat and we got to see what seven of them had for breakfast. It was a great day w/ light seas. I've seen the Bearing Sea (crabing) in November so it was cake walk for me. They said they had been catching a few Dorado but we didn't see anything. A nice boat ride was about all it amounted to. I think most of the sport fishing is done off the S.E. Coast a long way from where you're going to be. I recomend spending your $ on some good cigars and a nice meal.

Good luck

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Sosua Fishing

Call Pablo in Sosua, he's about the only one I would trust! He's only got a small boat but at least it's seaworthy with life vests and fire extinguishers etc. on board, and a radio!! (Sorry, but there's no head)!
Tel: 571 1868 Cell 223 5068 or 223 5069
He's had some recent luck with yellow fin, dorado, etc.
(There's a thread somewhere on here where Sami gave his web site address).
POP boats are not good.
Don't expect to catch loads it's pretty dismal fishing on the North Coast around here.
Peter
(the frustrated sport fisherman).

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
I found Pablo's email: pablophoto@yahoo.com

Peter - Thanks for Pablo recommendation. We'll give him a try in December. We've heard fishing isn't much on north coast; maybe we'll at least have a fun boat ride.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
There is tremendous fishing on the "North Coast"....

...the problem is that it ISN'T in the tourist areas.....hence lack of good catches. Your tremendous fishing area is from Manzanillo (we will call that the NW) all the way across the shore heading east to Maimon (which, incidently is exactly where the Riu Bachata is). Now, you can charter a 32' from the Riu. The boat is anchored right in the bay. You will pay 400 bucks for the opportunity to go out 25 miles and look for some Dorado (for sure) wahoo and king mackerel. Lesser chance of a Marlin at that time...but you never know. They fish "live" baits. Typically do not use fish finders or more conventional equip....which is often part of the problem for lack of fish caught.

I can tell you that the huge migration of Tarpon and Snook show up June and July in the coastal waters...but you can always find nice snook and tarpon in some of the N. lagoons....its just that you wont be in the areas and I can't recommend anyone cuz you really have to be prepared to bring your own equipment and just "hire out" a local fisherman unless you have personal contacts.

Tight Lines, Dave

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
montecristi has a small fleet of sportsfishermen and is not as far from the pp region as boca de yuma and cabeza de toro. you may want to explore options with skippers in that area. fuel prices in the dr are skyhigh these days and it will cost you a bundle no matter where you go. also, your trip may not be during the best season for billfish & wahoo (fall) but may be good for mahi-mahi and yellowfins (late winter/early spring). it's been ages since my fishing trip from mc so i'm not up to date re. local charters. bests,

-tordok

CluesGirl

Nov 19, 2003
Great info!

Thanks to everyone!

Since we are hoping fishing to be one of the highlights of our trip, I think we will look into changing destinations down to the Punta Cana resorts, it sounds like we will have a better shot.

In case we don't though, thank you Peter for the recommendation. If we end up in PP we will give him a call.

Travel up to Massachusetts next fall to end all of your frustrations! 100-lb bluefin tuna for as far as the eye can see, with the occasional 700-lb bluefin "daddy" swimming amongst them! You'll never have bluefish and striped bass fishing get so boring so quickly! ;) And the lobsters are to die for!

And now....recommendations for trustworthy and catchworthy captains out of Punta Cana?? If you could all be so kind? What a great forum!

Jessica