Oh that we were Georgia (old USSR, not USA)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The people of Georgia forced the Geroge Washington of that country to resign after a terribly inept period of government.

Hundres of thousands of Venezuelans protested against Ch?vez.

And here? Some kids burn tires and thorw rocks and nobody pays them any mind.

Wouldn't it be nice to see 300,000 Dominicans surrounding the national Palace and chanting "Go Home Hippo!" ??? We'll never see it happening but after reading Bernardo Vega's column you get the idea that only something as drastic as that could have an impact on that hard head....We are in such deep doo-doo because of 85 accounts in Baninter!! Eighty-five rich people got richer and the rest of us got....I won't say it, there are ladies present.....

HB

Apr 26, 2002
I always wondered why the Dominican elites put up with Hippo. Now we know. Last year he transfered hundreds of millions of dollars from the Central Bank to them by covering their accounts at Baninter.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know about Chavez. The BBC is reporting that millions signed the pro-Chavez petition.

Rumbles of discontent against Hipolito are being reported as follows: at the free concert by Pablo Milanes on Plaza Espa?a on Saturday night the presenter was booed when she mentioned the President. Same thing happened at David Bisbal's concert. At the premiere of new Dominican film 'Perico Ripiao' the audience booed when the President was mentioned.

These things sound insignificant but they should get noticed.

Chiri

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I remember in the PanAm Games he got boooed at quite often. The day Felix Sanchez won, I remember he got more boos that aplausos.

Often I've heard people comment that if this where a Reformist or a PLD government, the country would have been up in arms a long time ago. Well then, why doesnt this country burn under the PRD government? I mean, isnt the suffering just the same under them as under the reds or the purples?
Arent peoples hopes to a better life evaporating faster with them in power?
Aren't more businesses closing their doors everyday than under any other red or purple government?
If this is such an unpopular government, why is the president looking for a second nomination that seems absurd and doomed?

And isnt this what always happens when we elect the Whites into power. I am thinking maybe Balaguer was right not letting them win the elections in 1994, maybe he spared us from the chaos that we now live in and that our grandson's children will be paying for.

Any intelligent person will look at that damn party and see them for what they are, a bunch of opportunists from all strata of dominican society. All of them after their own personal gain and with their '**** the people' attitude we let them take what they want while we just sit and watch. Thats probably why Juan Bosch left it!
And do you know why this country isnt in uproar? Because they are promising more jobs to PRDeistas if they win again, no matter how much it'll cost you and me as a solution to the problems of our country!!! And the sad part is the ignorant masses are buying it because its the easiest way to get a piece of the state.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
ack to the original subject of Georgia showing the DR the way ..... I am sure the starined PEACE is because the election is due in May of next year & "Hippo" has little chance of getting back in. IF he manages to defraud the country by rigging the voting system, I am sure some form of "Uprising" will take place but I hope it will be a peaceful one rather than a 'Bloody' one.

Following Georgias superb example, I would love to hear of true Dominicanos visiting the Presidential Palace &/or Congress to request Hippo to take up residence somewhere else (NOT his mansions built with our money - they should be claimed back to enrich the nations reserves!!). I would be honoured to be allowed (as a Gringo who loves this country) to assist them in anyway they require. Robert, Dalores, Hillbilly or Jazzcom for President is my motto!!! Hey, even AZB would do a better job!! - Grahame.

Apr 26, 2002
1. The very wealthiest old-line Dominican families with dollar deposits in the Baninter that were earning 12% annual interest and who were repaid by the Central Bank (without limit) are amongst the most well positioned of opportunists in the current situation. Thus, you don't hear them complaining loudly. They have never been a productive class anyway.

2. Revolutions are hard to control. Unlike Georgia, were large crowds to gather at the Palace in Santo Domingo, there would DEFINITELY be bloodshed (ala Venezuela). Do you think Hippo and his best paid Sargeants to Generals, all of whom are out in the next election barring massive fraud, would not do it in a second??? Worse yet, Hippo could then declare a national emergency and "postpone" elections. Hell, the more I think about it the more I think Hippo wishes there were an insurrection. The PLD knows this and is willing to wait until the outcome of the next election before it takes such drastic action. Leonel has referred to the situation as "delicate".

3. Revolutions are hard to control II. An uprising could get out of the PLD's control. It could be taken over by labor union leaders, ostensibly leftist military officers and other opportunists - putting the country in a worse position (again, ala Venezuela).