Trying to get a visa for my wifes cousin

Can anyone out there tell me the best way to get my wifes last cousin living in the DR up here to NY. We are trying to get her here permanately and I would appreciate any advise from you guys because I get different answers from everyone I talk to in immigration Dept here. and the people on this message board seem more inteligent than the average American on these issues.
Thanks in advance guys
Badpiece

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please, pretty please

Do a search on this topic. It has been covered a gagillion times.

Offhand I would say that there is a very long wait. Immigration is supposed to keep families together, but they think in terms ofr sons and daughters and fathers and mothers and brothers and sisters.

Wish you well.

HB

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
immigration

I'm pretty sure there is no preference category for cousins.
The most direct route would be to get a green card for your wife. When she becomes a citizen, in about 5 years, she can get a green card for her mom or dad - who should get citizenship in about five years - who should get a green card for their sibling - could be a long wait. Then that sibling (by now it should be the mother/father of the cousin) should get their citizenship (5 years) and then they can apply for their child - the original cousin in question. All the relationships have to be verified and documented from a VERY early age, if not at birth, and if through the father, marriages should have taken place.
Very indirect route and takes a long time.
If the INS knows she's the last cousin, they won't give her a visitor's visa because they know she is liable to over-stay...Now, if she was able to get to NY, a job as a cook in a Dominican restaurant could get her a 6th preference - as far as I can remember.
A good immigration lawyer would be invaluable in that situation.
I am not an immigration lawyer, but after staying at a holiday inn express last night, ...
Good luck to your family and your wife's cousin.
mk