Wanna hear something funny?

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
This Happened yesterday in Azua. A small house caught on fire and the fire spread over next door to my wife?s warehouse that was full of carton boxes and burned down completely. The fire department showed up promptly as you would expect from any real Bomberos. Upon arrival, fire men jumped out of the fire truck to do their job in such a hurry that even the driver forgot to turn the engine off and the truck was in gear! It took off and run over fifteen motoconchos before it rammed into a house totally destroying it. Guess what else? The fire truck didn?t even have a drop of water in the tank when they came to put out the fire! This morning we found out that the Motoconchistas who had their motorcycles parked in a row to watch the fire have already put in a claim against our insurance for the loss of their machines.

Three years ago when one of our packing houses burned down, my wife called the fire department in Mao. They called her back an hour later to see if they can borrow a couple of tires from our trucks as theirs blew up on the way!

Life in the DR is sometimes like watching a live cartoon show.

Like CC says, what a country!!! I am still enjoying it though.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Only in the DR!!

DD,

I hope your losses weren't too great. Thank you for sharing. I guess the only way to survive in the DR is to see the humor in things like this.

Mainer

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
DD,
I am sorry for your inconveniences but the way I see it, this does not happen to anyone, at anytime, anywhere. This is one of the most entertaining stories I've heard in a while.
Sorry!!And good luck with everything.
S

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
Thanks for your symphathy. The loss is insignificant as we are well covered but the eventful mishap is noteworthy and quite amusing to say the least.

Have a happy Thanksgiving day

D.D.

DRdiving

Nov 2, 2003
Now that I know that your loss was insignificant and that you were well covered, I can now say that this is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Sounds like the bad news bears! Congratulations for seeing the humour it in yourself!

Chris.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If only I had a video camera that day!!!!!!!

Several years ago,a large "Gua Gua" had it's motor overheat,and finally cathch fire at the intersectior of 27 de Feb,& Av.Tiradentes in Santo Domingo.Someone called the "Bomberos",but it took about 10 minutes for them to arrive.By the time they arrived,the back of the bus was in flames.They jumped off the truck,about 3 guys unrolled the hose,they started the pump to pressurise the hose,and "Bang",the hose exploded about half way between the truck and the men.The uncontrolled hose began whipping all around spraying water into the air,and everywhere BUT the fire.they shut off the pump,replaced the hose,started the pump again.As the water began to spray from the hose,the three firemen walked the hose toward the fire.At that time,one of the big bus tires exploded.The firemen must have thought that it was the gas tank/They all dropped the hose and ran! Once again,the hose began whipping around like a huge drunken snake!By the time they shut off the pump,and gained controll of the hose,they had run out of water.The bus burned into a metal hulk.Tires exploding,and finally the gas tank,with less noise than the tires!We all had a huge laugh.It looked like a "Keystone Cops" silent movie.
ONLY in the DR!......"What A Country!!!!!!!"

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Unbelievable stories. The truck arriving with no water in its tank is the most pathetic thing of all. The other things I could make some sort of an allowance for...........I guess.........................well ok, maybe not.

Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I hope Anna sees this thread. She is the one who started the thread this week on the handling of fires in the DR.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
A certain town in D.D.s neighborhood has the undistinguished honour of been probably the only town in the world where the fire station burnt to the ground. :nervous:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I read it yesturday when Christa pointed it out. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Since no one got hurt I could only laugh.

But the fire station burning to the ground has got to be the funniest.

I also sent it out to all my friends. :nervous:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
I hope Anna sees this thread. She is the one who started the thread this week on the handling of fires in the DR.

Well, Anna is the one who asked the question, How are fires handled in the DR... ? I thought we should give her the 'real story' instead of a 'watered down' version.

I love this place!