where to live?

muriel

Nov 26, 2003
Hi-
I'm a first time user. Just learned of DR1 and am happy to see it and learn from your experiences.
My husband and I are planning retirement in a couple of years and are exploring places to live 4-5 months out of the year. We have never been to the DR and plan to visit this summer to explore. During retirement, we don't want to live in a resort, would like to be near water in a spanish speaking place that is not fast paced. We would also like to be with professional Dominicans. Is there a university nearby? I am a university professor who would like to do some local work. Also, some modern amenities please. Any ideas for how we should go about exploring when we visit this summer? Or any ideas about places that fit our description? I look forward to your ideas.

By the way, are their social service agencies or other government agencies that help with education, or social work type issues?

Thanks,
Muriel

Last edited:

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Reading between the lines, I am not too sure the type of place you are looking for exists here. The place you are describing sounds more like my idea of Spain(never been there). Part of the problem here is that the universities are generally located in areas that are "fast paced" such as Santo Domingo(near water) and Santiago(not next to water). If you are looking for a truly sleepy town, such as Samana or Barahona, or others, you probably won't find the university although there may be a decent level of education and interest in learning particularly among the upper classes. BTW, I live in Santo Domingo and there are others on this board far more knowledgeable than I about the intricacies of Dominican small town life.

Regards,
lhtown

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The best person for you to talk with is Hillbilly. He is a professor at a university in Santiago and has lived in the DR for 35 years or more. Find one of his posts and contact him direct by clicking on the PM or email button underneath. He is a very frequent poster so you'll have no trouble finding one of his posts.

muriel

Nov 26, 2003
Thanks, Ihtown and Ken-
The information you gave was very helpful. I had no idea that Santo Domingo was so fast paced. ;) We will explore the island especially there since it has water, and university. I assume it is more expensive than many of the other areas? That's also a consideration.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
fast paced?

It depends what you compare it to. Compared to Santiago, Samana or the North Coast it is fast paced. Compared to NYC or most likely any major US city it is not fast paced;-)

If it was fast paced it wouldn't take 2 months to get DSL.

It wouldn't take 20 minutes for someone to put 8 pieces of fried chicken in a bucket at KFC.

It wouldn't take 30 minutes to get your check at a restaurant.

People would not park thei car in the middel of the road when they get a cell phone call.

Lots more expamples, but I'll spare you;-)

BTW santo domingo has water, but not a beach. The nearest beach is Boca Chica about 30 minutes away.