The End

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
of the hurricane season - formally. Why the weather would adhere to specific dates always blew my mind, but the end of November is officially the end of the hurricane season.

Wow, what a season - one threatened hurricane which blew by and then the earthquake(s) and now the floods. I keep trying to get out of the other side of the bed in the morning....

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chris said:
Why the weather would adhere to specific dates always blew my mind, but the end of November is officially the end of the hurricane season.
They used to have hurricanes at all times of the year. President Roosevelt got the U.S. congress to pass a law outlawing all hurricane formation between November 1, and June 1, during the great depression. It is the little known sister-law to the "Daylight Savings Act", the "Hurricane Savings Act of 1934".

Most Caribbean nations have followed the U.S. lead although some like the D.R. do not require legislative protection from mother nature. Here in the D.R. hurricanes have been subsidized since Baluger's days. Only recently the government has defaulted on the required payments to the tropical cyclone production companies so the formation and import of hurricanes for the local population has come to a virtual halt.

Tom (aka XR)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
The End: What We Missed

A photo from the International Space Station Alpha about the time Isabel neared the Dominican Republic.